What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Victorian State of Origin Players

hellteam

First Grade
I've been thinking, with the Melbourne Storm now in the comp and the national under 20s up and running, that its entirely possible for a player to be born in melbourne, play all his junior football there and then go on to play for the storm in the NRL. at the end of the year he'll be able to play for the kangaroos, but come origin time hes got no one, because hes played no football at all for clubs in either qld or nsw.

what would happen???

alexc

Very unique situation. As you have speculated he will probably just play internationals and no state of origin. However looking at past incidences with players seemingly being able to do whatever they want in terms of Rep football (hello Karmichael, Tony Carroll, Nathan Fien, Brent Webb etc) then I wouldn't be suprised if he just chooses a state.

Illustrates perfectly the problem rugby league has outside of QLD and NSW. Kiwis don't want to play for NZ, Victorians will want to declare loyalty to QLD or NSW. Simply because State of Origin is the best of the best at the moment. It may change in the future with the ever increasing number of poly's and kiwis in the comp.

lotti

Bench
the NRL could always make the SOO into a three way comp and have a Victorian team(in Victory's or Rebels' colours) there are 4 Victorian born players in the Thunderbolts and I think Tahu played for the Blues when he was playing NRL and he was born in Melbourne.

OVP

Coach
lotti said:
the NRL could always make the SOO into a three way comp and have a Victorian team(in Victory's or Rebels' colours) there are 4 Victorian born players in the Thunderbolts and I think Tahu played for the Blues when he was playing NRL and he was born in Melbourne.

Great thinking Lotti ... what a great team ... itd fit right into the origin concept too

:roll::?

Razor

Coach
hellteam said:
I've been thinking, with the Melbourne Storm now in the comp and the national under 20s up and running, that its entirely possible for a player to be born in melbourne, play all his junior football there and then go on to play for the storm in the NRL. at the end of the year he'll be able to play for the kangaroos, but come origin time hes got no one, because hes played no football at all for clubs in either qld or nsw.

what would happen???

Back in the mid-90s it was announced

Victorians will play for NSW
WA players will play for QLD

Don't know if it's changed

melbourne_belle

Juniors
lotti Tahu may have been born in Victoria, but he played his footy in NSW.
Inglis was born in NSW and plays for QLD, its well known that players dont always play for where they were born, hey Hunt was bloody born in NZ and he plays for QLD.
A Victorian team would go so well against QLD and NSW, hey they even might win the darn thing. You have got to be kidding me.

I am a Victorian and I love origin time but having a Vic team in there is not going to happen anytime soon and it shouldn't.

I think what Razor said is a pretty good system, Vics to NSW and WA to QLD.

Ice777

Bench
melbourne_belle said:
I am a Victorian and I love origin time but having a Vic team in there is not going to happen anytime soon and it shouldn't.

I think what Razor said is a pretty good system, Vics to NSW and WA to QLD.

Agreed. Even if years down the track down the track we had enough players to field a side, state of origin should be left for NSW and QLD only.

NthKnight

Razor said:
Back in the mid-90s it was announced

Victorians will play for NSW
WA players will play for QLD

Don't know if it's changed

That concept no longer exists. Basically it comes down to player preference these days. In saying that though a player cant switch between states once they have nominated one way, if they have chosen Qld they are Qld for life and vise versa.

sooperdooper

First Grade
hellteam said:

what would happen???

you wont be able to ever field a team...

Brycey

Juniors
Ice777 said:
Agreed. Even if years down the track down the track we had enough players to field a side, state of origin should be left for NSW and QLD only.
SOO is for NSW and QLD only, but I cannot see why if ever a Victorian team was made/eligible both states couldn't play them in one off matches.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
How about a qualifier game between the 2nd and 3rd teams then a 3 match series between the winner and last years winner with 2 games in last years winners home state.

Based on this year you would have:

Qualifier
NSW V Vic @ ANZ

Then if NSW win
QLD V NSW @ Suncorp
NSW V QLD @ ANZ
QLD V NSW @ Suncorp

If WA Reds get back in and they have sufficient players then based on previous years results

NSW V VIC
QLD v WA

Then the 3 game series between the winners.

hellteam

First Grade
yeah i definately wasnt trying to say there should be a victoria team. just that there will probably be a victorian player one day

I don't have a drama with a Vic etc playing Origin for NSW or Qld. Although, it's a bit tough to work out where their motivation will come from.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
What about a team made up of other states and Territories? Emerging States

So this would include Victoria, SA, WA and NT juniors

Corey Paterson
Matt Peterson
Will Chambers
James McManus
Daniel Holdsworth
Lee Te Mari

Although it'll hard to get a team these days, but do you think that number would increase in the future, now with the Melbourne Under 20's and WA Reds in the JB Cup.