What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Victorian State of Origin Players

hellteam

First Grade
PARRA_FAN said:
What about a team made up of other states and Territories? Emerging States

So this would include Victoria, SA, WA and NT juniors

Corey Paterson
Matt Peterson
Will Chambers
James McManus
Daniel Holdsworth
Lee Te Mari

Although it'll hard to get a team these days, but do you think that number would increase in the future, now with the Melbourne Under 20's and WA Reds in the JB Cup.

yeah that would be interesting. but all those player would just play for the state of the first senior team they played for ie will chambers playing for norths in qld

PARRA_FAN

Coach
True that, plus Te Mari would play for NZL and McManus would play for Scotland, meaning he's also eligible for Great Britain.

NthKnight

PARRA_FAN said:
True that, plus Te Mari would play for NZL and McManus would play for Scotland, meaning he's also eligible for Great Britain.

GB is gone. England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland are now under their own banners.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Since when? :?

I mean they play seperate for World Cup, but as far as test matches go its Great Britain.

alexc

I think maybe a tri/quad-series at the end of the season could work (obviously not this season duh). NZ, NSW, VIC, QLD. Maybe a tri-series could stop the kiwis saying they are aussie just to play state of origin.

PARRA_FAN said:
What about a team made up of other states and Territories? Emerging States

So this would include Victoria, SA, WA and NT juniors

Corey Paterson
Matt Peterson
Will Chambers
James McManus
Daniel Holdsworth
Lee Te Mari

Although it'll hard to get a team these days, but do you think that number would increase in the future, now with the Melbourne Under 20's and WA Reds in the JB Cup.

I have their jersey all picked out already.

allies.gif

Perth Red

Post Whore
GB will only play Ashes series, England for all other tests

One thing I would like to see to raise the profile of the game in Vic and WA is a curtain raiser to SOO featuring a SOO series between Vic and WA. If not on the day it could be played on the day before at the same venue and would give local Vic and WA players a great experience and encourage more players into the WARL and VRL.

greenhat

Juniors
No way you should mess with NSW vs QLD.

I think we should start having a Vic vs WA state of origin pre-game to the proper NSW vs QLD games. Theres no reason we couldn't do it now, its only gonna give WA and Vic players something to strive for and a state jersey to be proud of. No doubt it'd be watched by a few NRL club talent scouts too.

Maybe in 20 years if we have the players, WA vs Vic could become a stand alone proper event. But not part of the NSW/QLD series.

The Tank

Bench
Perth Red said:
GB will only play Ashes series, England for all other tests

One thing I would like to see to raise the profile of the game in Vic and WA is a curtain raiser to SOO featuring a SOO series between Vic and WA. If not on the day it could be played on the day before at the same venue and would give local Vic and WA players a great experience and encourage more players into the WARL and VRL.

Yeah I agree with that.

Perth Red

Post Whore
greenhat said:
No way you should mess with NSW vs QLD.

I think we should start having a Vic vs WA state of origin pre-game to the proper NSW vs QLD games. Theres no reason we couldn't do it now, its only gonna give WA and Vic players something to strive for and a state jersey to be proud of. No doubt it'd be watched by a few NRL club talent scouts too.

Maybe in 20 years if we have the players, WA vs Vic could become a stand alone proper event. But not part of the NSW/QLD series.

It's ideas like this that are so simple, minimal cost and can have a big impact on growing our game, yet why aren't the NRL/ARL thinking of them? We've talked alot about a lack of vision in our game and examples like this make it clear that the people in control don't have a clue about how to develop our game in frontier areas. If I can think it up I'm sure some well paid exec in the NRL/ARL can!

greenhat

Juniors
Sorry Perth Red, I didnt realise you had already suggested the exact same thing. I must have been watching TV or something

anyways, i agree completely.

Th1rteen

Juniors
Hull KR center Jake Webster was born in Melbourne but plays for New Zealand. Perhaps he could still be in the Origin team.

Are there enough decent players for a Victoria Origin team though?

lotti

Bench
Deanoknights said:
The only people in Melbourne who support the Storm are iether from NZ or their AFL team is really crappy...:D
I was born in Victoria and I support the Storm and I'm not really into the AFL I just watch the GF.

Deanoknights

Juniors
Good to hear! I lived in Melbourne for 8 years and constantly had to stick up for League as MOST people down there have blinkers on ! Most common question asked by mexicans : What's the difference between union and league? Most common comment : League playershave no necks and are bum sniffers.:roll:

brendothejet

First Grade
I don't think Vics or sandgroppers should ever be playing for NSW or QLD. Nor do i think poms or nzders or tongans or anyone else should.

What i do think there should be is a SOO for WA and Vic. Regardless of how small it starts off it should be started now. As the NRL teams grows and the juniors develop the talent pool will grow and eventually the spectacle.

There should also be competitive mid season test matcehs for Pacific island nations and NZ. This would ensure that players from all states and countries have a pinnacle to reach. Rugby League has a massive profile boost mid season that AFL could only dream of and everyone wins.

Imagine the media saturation that we would recieve if in one week there was:

NSW v QLD
VIC v WA
NZ v TONGA
PNG v FIJI

Put club games on hold for the weekend and maximise the focus on them.

ahh dreamland is fun..

melbourne_belle

Juniors
Deanoknights said:
Good to hear! I lived in Melbourne for 8 years and constantly had to stick up for League as MOST people down there have blinkers on ! Most common question asked by mexicans : What's the difference between union and league? Most common comment : League playershave no necks and are bum sniffers.

Yes the AFL saturation down her in Melbs is disgusting, swap it for NRL coverage and Melbourne would be the best place in the world.
Most people down here have no clue about RL, but some are embracing it and learning about it.

brendothejet your dreamland mid season matches would be awesome and would certainly generate a lot of coverage. But I can tell you now the Victorian team wouldn't be very good.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I think the WA team would probably be alot stronger (even without the NRL WA players) but maybe the VRL squad could be beefed up with some local Storm under 20's?