What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Video ref

Video ref have the ability to intervene at anytime?

• Yes

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • No

Votes: 10 55.6%

• Total voters

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Should the video ref be used all the time, rather then isolated for specific times and situations? I think if an mistake is made and the video ref notices this then they should intervene. And this includes taking back trys of sides. I hate how when a penalty is given that the decision cannot be reversed even though it's obviously wrong eg bite on Tahu.

sydraider

First Grade
They should intervene at any given point if they spot something, unfortunately, they are going to be as inconsistent as the fools controlling the game on the field. It wont change much, just give us something extra to whinge about.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Exactly! why do something half-hearted? if they're going to try and implement a better system then do it properly and not pick and choose when to use it.

Inferno

Coach
Only if they catch it in normal time. They shouldn't be able to reverse a decision based on replays.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Inferno said:
Only if they catch it in normal time. They shouldn't be able to reverse a decision based on replays.

I guess thats the main problem, however the vid ref should be able to spot things pretty much straight away.

A good example was the Parra vs Manly game at Parra, the manly guy obviously knocked the ball over the dead ball line, everyone saw it, the replays showed it just as it happened, yet the ref just stood there like a frozen turd and didn't do anything, f**king bullsh*t, obvious to everyone.

Stranger

Coach
I like the way it is now. Let the man in the middle do his job unless for means of foul play or for tries.

Bronco

Juniors
yes I say, I agry with the 3 people that said Yes, I mean If i was he ref I would sometimes have trouble sorting things out, like diciding a penely, that sometimes hard to pridict

goboggo

Juniors
No, they should intervene less.

It's dumb that they are allowed to intervene on foul play.

First, it encourages divers and time-wasting crap.
Second, it totally depends on the producer at whichever tv station is broadcasting. If I was producer, no way I'd be replaying a Parra head-high!

Imagine the players all lying around if they think an oppositon player knocked on, or taking an eternity to take their line-drop out in case the vid ref notices that the attacking team knocked it dead, or whatever. The vid ref wastes enough time as it is. It's boring.

Vid ref - tries only.

Quidgybo

Bench
Stranger said:
I like the way it is now. Let the man in the middle do his job unless for means of foul play or for tries.
But the point is that the man in the middle isn't able to do his job now. He spends the game second guessing what he saw and handing off the decisions to the man in the box. I would much rather the referee was left to get on with making his own calls, TRY or NO TRY, able to trust his own judgement without a crutch, while giving the captain of the aggrevied team the option to challenge the decison as made. Not unlimited challenges of course and not every decision (perhaps only tries/no try, perhaps any decision that stops play) but now the video ref would not be forced to make a call based on fractions of frames or on the benefit of the doubt. Unless the video shows clearly and indisputably that the decison is wrong, the existing decision stands. If there's *any* doubt, the existing decision stands. The man is the middle is left to do his job while the video ref is left not having to make a decision if the evidence just isn't there.

Leigh.

Mr Saab

Referee
Use for tries and tries only. If the ref misses a strip, tough luck.
I like NFL, and i know it is very stop start, but i dont want the NRL to follow suit.
Players make mistakes, so do referees.

Bronco said:
yes I say, I agry with the 3 people that said Yes, I mean If i was he ref I would sometimes have trouble sorting things out, like diciding a penely, that sometimes hard to pridict

Yes. And we should allow the video ref to have complete control over grammar and spelling aswell.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
I am really in two minds on this issue. I don't mind the video ref getting a say for tries and foul play but the system needs to be better. They need a panel not just one and have more control over the video and what they want to see.

But giving them more control seems to take away the power of the man in the middle and his sideline officials. They just aren't picking up things anymore.

In what way is it true?

I suppose it is true if you ignore all of the calls they make during NRL matches. But then, of course, it's false.

goboggo

Juniors
Are you a touchie?

I doubt Bronxfan meant that they make no calls at all. I certainly didn't.

But hey, let's take the literal meaning of everything. After all, this is the internet, everything on it is exactly correct.

I do understand the concept of hyperbole. In the right context it's a useful form of expression. In the sense you used it in is just silly.

And no, I'm not a touchie. I have a laugh (or a cry) at their incompetence as much as the next guy.