What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vinnie Anderson released

ozbash

Referee
those good young Kiwi players that will actually develope into something good.

you mean like SBW ?

he doesnt add anything to the side

hmmm, wonder if wayne bennett ( hes the ozzie coach dontchaknow) agrees with you there freaky ?

do you really want to know whats behind this ?
the warriors ceo is an australian who has had club before country knocked into him from an early age.

ibeme

First Grade
I just hope for Steve Price's sake that the club isn't souring internally. He deserves to be able to concentrate on on-field matters without the off-field distractions that he's had at the Bulldogs over the last few years.

ozbash

Referee
yea, that would be a shame ibeme, vinnie has been there for a while now and we hope his brother isnt going to follow him( which is a very real possibility as they are close)..

makes a bloke feel quite sick as a matter of fact.

coldhardbitch

Juniors
Thats a loss. i feel vinnie anderson is pure quality. definitely in the top 5 warriors players last year.

For mine, was New Zealands best player in the tri-series.

London scored well. though the gold Coast Dolphins should put a bid for him when they get in, gos he would be a quality addition to any side

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Bulldog-Power said:
hitman82 said:
by the way, if you do a few sums the Warriors spare money under the cap is not looking bad at all... perhaps they have a large signing in mind? :shock: :lol:

see thats what I thought intially, but I dont think so now....

they released pj marsh, ali, thomas lulablabla and now vinnie anderson,

but they picked up Steve price (350k per year), Ruben Wiki (at least 300k)

and also brought over todd byrne and tony martin

So i dont buy that they have heaps of spare cash.... if they had enough to offer sonny bill 350-400k per year something would be dodgy... and he couldnt be sponsored by vodafone etc
You forgot about Ali Lauitiiti, Jerry Seu Seu, Mark Tookey, Justin Murphy, Danny Sullivan, Matt Jobson, Vince Mellars, etc etc. Lauitiiti and Seu Sue at least were on pretty big money and the others wwould add up to another big salary between them.

Iafeta

Referee
Lauitiiti would have been on top money, Seu Seu was a full blown test player at that stage one of the premier props, Tookey was a shandy off Origin when he resigned, Marsh had his contract upgraded so he was on some, Motu Tony was released I'm sure he was on some. Jobson from all accounts said himself he was on a lot higher than he got at Newcastle.

I think one of a few things has happened

* Price and Wiki are on far more than the Warriors let on
* The Warriors have camped money aside for a player off contract this year, no prizes for guessing who although personally I think that'd be an irrational and stupid move and would still be highly unlikely to come off
* Or the Warriors straight out are doing the dirty on Kiwi reps

If the latter's the case, the Warriors are no better than Penrith with Puletua. Infact, given that the Warriors and Kiwis brands have so much in common, they'd be worse. What the Warriors have done over the past two years is unceremoniously self destruct the heart, fibre, soul and integrity of rugby league in New Zealand and made it quite frankly a laughing stock. Their contract cullings have been synonomous with poor management, here's why

* Management signs player X for a period of 4 years, then 1.5 years into discover he's not up to cutting the mustard - Question: Haven't management got it wrong offering what they initially offered, EG I'd love to see their KPIs to measure player performances because if they discover a player is no good, then what drove them to believe they were THAT good in the first place
* Player Y, talented youngster from Auckland, age 16 gets an offer from the Warriors, and lets say .... Manly. Manly's is slightly better, not by much, but slightly better. Player Y is now more inclined to switch to Manly. Before, in 2001-2003 you could get away with trotting out the Loyalty line, after all, Dave Dobbyn's Loyal accompanied the team at Ericsson there for a while (How Ironic is that given the contract culls? Loyal my ar$ehole). Now, player Y fears for his security at the club, and the innuendo, contract culls, and lack of comprehensive answers by the Warriors quite frankly makes him fearful. Player Y at age 19 turns into SBW or cutie. Franchise player for 10 years gone like that.
* Player Q, current Warriors player was a close friend of any of the players savaged by management, decides enough is enough, either decides, despite pressure from the Warriors to resign before June 30, to test the market. Player Q signs elsewhere. Warriors lose top line player. Other players in a state of disharmony.

All players at the Warriors must be on watch now. It seems to have created an us versus them scenario, the last thing the joint needed. They'll also lose truckloads of support in New Zealand if they do not quash the rebellion about "We don't want our players playing for the Kiwis", if they don't deny it, or if its proven to be true, heartland support will dip. Fans through the turnstyle will dip. Juniors wanting to be Warriors will dip.

Quite frankly, this departure will hurt New Zealand Rugby League very seriously, particularly with the implications of why.

As to the player involved, on field this is a serious loss. The person who said Vinnie Anderson would not be part of the Warrior's 17 is dreaming. Vinnie was I believe the number 1 defender from a centre's perspective last year when you combine tackle efficiency, and the staggering number of tackles per game he got through. He was a workaholic in a team of supposed showman. The showmen lost their touch badly last year, and the only thing stopping the club catapulting into the wooden spoon was the effort of the workmen - the Andersons, Betham, Ropati, Koopu, Te Mata and young Paleaaesina's continued growth. Forget Meli, Toopi, Faumuina, Jones, Guttenbeil, Hohaia and the other glorified stars, those boys were where the money was at in 2004. Thats why they brought Price and Wiki in, to give the team that "Kevvy Campion" style work ethic. The hard work. Get through the guts of the game. Make the hards. Tidy the middle of the ruck up. Just like Campion did, and we all know the wonders he worked at the Warriors.

The other sad side of it is this - Louis Anderson. This kid is a serious talent who shone in a woeful side last year. What odds on him going elsewhere? He's a long term Warriors captain, and Kiwis captain, this won't do him any good.

Dragon_psa

First Grade
I couldn't have said it better Iafeta. What pisses me off more than anything is how the club isn't saying boo about the whole affair, which will only serve to alienate the fans. I was listening to Radio Sport today (albeit briefly as I was at work) and Willie Lose (pronounced Low-say for the benefit of you Aussies out there) gave them a real spray which I feel was totally justified. Watson had better get his head out of his arse - I think the praise heaped on him after 2002/2003 has gone to the pricks head. Vinnie WAS one of the best defensive players in a woeful team last year, and it seems that he has been vilified for wanting to play for his country. I for one think it is an utter traversty, and it makes me have to re-evaluate my earlier opinion that the Warriors would be contesting the GF - I think the fallout from this will have much greater effect on the morale of the team than their so-called "management" will have bargained for. I for one hope not, but my confidence has been somewhat eroded.

Iafeta

Referee
Dragon_psa said:
I couldn't have said it better Iafeta. What pisses me off more than anything is how the club isn't saying boo about the whole affair, which will only serve to alienate the fans. I was listening to Radio Sport today (albeit briefly as I was at work) and Willie Lose (pronounced Low-say for the benefit of you Aussies out there) gave them a real spray which I feel was totally justified. Watson had better get his head out of his arse - I think the praise heaped on him after 2002/2003 has gone to the pricks head. Vinnie WAS one of the best defensive players in a woeful team last year, and it seems that he has been vilified for wanting to play for his country. I for one think it is an utter traversty, and it makes me have to re-evaluate my earlier opinion that the Warriors would be contesting the GF - I think the fallout from this will have much greater effect on the morale of the team than their so-called "management" will have bargained for. I for one hope not, but my confidence has been somewhat eroded.

:clap:

My tip for them to run 6th has all of a sudden dropped to 10th. Team-moral would be close to an all-time low, which is saying something given the state of affairs last year.

Iafeta

Referee
LESStar58 said:
Anderson :arrow:

Would mean

Jones :arrow: five-eighth
Fein :arrow: halfback

Jones won't be playing five eighth. I don't really see how Anderson going changes that, Anderson is a centre.

Fein is listed to be hooker, so in all likelihood it'll still be 7: Jones 6: Ropati 9: Fein/Anderson as it was going to be all around.

borat

Bench
The only reason you would do it at this time of year is to bank part of the cap for a big player like SBW. Even if they don't get him they will be after someone else. Was Anderson going to add that much to the team? Who knows, maybe there is someone else in the wings coming through who is just as good. All I know is that if the Warriors do land SBW I don't think any Warriors supporters will be complaining about Anderson any more.

Iafeta

Referee
borat said:
The only reason you would do it at this time of year is to bank part of the cap for a big player like SBW. Even if they don't get him they will be after someone else. Was Anderson going to add that much to the team? Who knows, maybe there is someone else in the wings coming through who is just as good. All I know is that if the Warriors do land SBW I don't think any Warriors supporters will be complaining about Anderson any more.

I don't think you can park Vinnie Anderson's salary under the cap for next year as it would have to be taken up as part of this year's cap as he was officially a member of the Warriors top 25 for 2005.

borat

Bench
Iafeta said:
borat said:

I don't think you can park Vinnie Anderson's salary under the cap for next year as it would have to be taken up as part of this year's cap as he was officially a member of the Warriors top 25 for 2005.

Yeah but I would say the Warriors brokered a deal with the ESL club so that they only have to pay a percentage of the existing contract and the ESL club pay the rest plus more. This would leave the Warriors with money in the 2005 cap to make a downpayment on SBW.

Iafeta

Referee
borat said:
Iafeta said:
borat said:

Yeah but I would say the Warriors brokered a deal with the ESL club so that they only have to pay a percentage of the existing contract and the ESL club pay the rest plus more. This would leave the Warriors with money in the 2005 cap to make a downpayment on SBW.

I still don't think works cap wise - or else going on that, about round 10 the teams running 11-15th would be sending their dregs to England waiting to pop up massive offers at the anti tampering deadline.

I think it goes off who you have nominated at the beginning of the year as your top 25, if you ax someone mid season it doesn't really matter. Otherwise the Warriors could have gone on a bigger free for all given what happened last year.

borat

Bench
Don't think so Iafeta because you still have to get an ESL club to take them off your hands mid season and as they all except London have quotas. There would have to be an available spot on their roster. Thats why it makes sense at the beggining of the season. I guess we will see but as far as I knew the top 25 is solely determined on total payments by the end of the season not just who is nominated in the top25 at the start.

Iafeta

Referee
Can't be. Don't forget, the Warriors offloaded mid season PJ Marsh, Ali Lauitiiti, Vince Mellars, Henry Fa'afili, Justin Murphy, Danny Sullivan, Matt Jobson. Those players salaries certainly weren't parked up for what wasn't spent to attract Price and Wiki, you'd want a bit more than that.

There's nothing in your scheme of things to stop Souths from dumping 20 players at round 10, and have like a cap for next season of $6.5 million.

borat

Bench
Iafeta said:
Can't be. Don't forget, the Warriors offloaded mid season PJ Marsh, Ali Lauitiiti, Vince Mellars, Henry Fa'afili, Justin Murphy, Danny Sullivan, Matt Jobson. Those players salaries certainly weren't parked up for what wasn't spent to attract Price and Wiki, you'd want a bit more than that.

There's nothing in your scheme of things to stop Souths from dumping 20 players at round 10, and have like a cap for next season of $6.5 million.

PJ Marsh I would assume was paid his contract in full because he didn't sign with anyone. Correct me if I am wrong but Lauititi and fa'afili did play a fair part of the season so the would have been payed a good part of their contracts plus they then had to broker a deal with an ESL club to take them off their hands that the player would agree with. The player isn't going to agree to anything unless he is going to reap a decent reward for shifting his life midseason. Murphy, Sullivan and Jobson I would doubt were not on that much money in the first place. Then there are the players who replaced them who are now earning 1st grade match payments and may have been on decent incentive contracts to do so etc. All in all I would say dumping players midseason is difficult to do because the player has to agree to a favourable deal and you have got to find a club who will agree to take a potentially out of form palyer and pay them part of their contract. But out of all of that I would guess the warriors did use the money that they saved on the 04 cap, even if it wasn't that much, as incentive sign on payments to Wiki and Price.

I don't claim to be an expert on the Warriors Salaries Iefata as I am sure you know a hell of a lot more than me where thats concerned. Its just my take on it.

Fantastic news
59.gif

One from One with McLinden & Dorn having great games.

gunnamatta bay

Referee
From todays New Zealand Herald.

League: Broncos' cash concerns scuttle Anderson move

The London Broncos' attempt to sign New Zealand international Vinnie Anderson has been thwarted because of fears over their finances.

The Broncos announced the signing of the stand-off this week, but the Rugby League refused to register him.

A league spokesman said the unusual step had been taken because of "unconcluded initiatives at the club to address their financial issues".

The club has a declared plan to enter into a creditors' voluntary agreement to wipe out much of its historic debt.

It is understood that other Super League clubs have argued that London should not be able to make such an ambitious signing while under that cloud.

A long delay in registering Anderson could see another club step in. The New Zealand Warriors had tried to steer him to Bradford.