What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Visited Perth for the first time, what I thought of the coverage

CarlU

Juniors
I have never in my life spent more then an hour in a city which is AFL country until I went to Perth last week. Alot of people had me believe that perception of NRL is non-existant but to my suprise they actually had a page in the sports section of the Western Australian for NRL news. Also I was suprised that all 3 NRL games and the footy show are broadcast on Channel Nine, though it might not be at the best time slots.

Not bad for an area without an NRL team. A team in Perth actually has a base to start from.

Nuke

Staff member
Yeah mate. We get all those on tv (2x Friday night games and 1x Sunday game, + Thursday night Footy Show). I would doubt very much anyone has said otherwise. It's just -as you mention- they're all on late at night. For 3/4 of last season, Sunday arvo games were on at 2pm (in the afternoon!) - the same time that the east coast got the games (allowing for the 2hr time difference). Then for some unknown and stupid reason, bye-bye, back to midnight they went. On the flip side of this was that we got the Grand Final live for the first time since the 2000 GF. Origins were on only a 1hr (a good timeslot).

Really, there is no real reason why Ch9 couldn't show Sunday games on Sunday afternoons again (apparently, the show/s that are now in it's place rate less than the NRL did), and Friday Night Footy at, say, 10pm.
At the current moment, with the 2 games back-to-back on Friday nights starting at midnight, they don't finish until 4am ... which for the majority of us here who work during the day, is a bloody long time into the night after a long, tiring week at work.

I would love to see the ESL being showed over here. They did it the first weekend Ch9 showed it Australia-wide, but it hasn't been seen on Perth tv's since.

There is an NRL presence here ... you just have to know where it is and you'll need patience!

CarlU

Juniors
Well if the WA Reds got into the NRL you would think that the times would become earlier. I am happy to hear that SOO is at a reasonable time, it's great for the sport but I'm assuming the average person on the street thought it was related to rugby and not league.

Nuke

Staff member
The average person on the streets wouldn't know the difference. They would barely know that there are two rugby codes. I've known people to even think grid iron is similar.

Nuke

Staff member
Not since the mid-90's mate.
Not unless you have Imparja ..!

Latest posts