What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

vs Australia

Solid effort by a team that on paper looked to be easy beats.
To many errors and penalties to beat Aussie.
Would like to say Foran or Luke could/would of made the difference. For an may of had more composure in the last 15mins on attack.

Crowd of over 25k.

Johnson not so good second half. Hiku pretty crap all game. Still not a bad effort all up. Bromwich, Moa, and that Taupau, all good.

Bromwich 141m and always hungry.
Moa 124m and wanted to smash into someone.
Taupau has arms bigger than some guys legs out there!
RTS didn't get to shine.
Beale offered little.
Nightingale not the same after knee injury.

Future is bright if we can get all of our talent on the field.

We need more games together.
How do we fix this?

TheDMC

Bench
Havili was impressive.

Instead of playing Anzac tests, SOO should be 3 weeks with no NRL. And during it, Kiwis play 3 tests. Against poms every two years, and against Samoa/Fiji or whoever alternate years. That would sort us out good and proper.

Havili was impressive.

Instead of playing Anzac tests, SOO should be 3 weeks with no NRL. And during it, Kiwis play 3 tests. Against poms every two years, and against Samoa/Fiji or whoever alternate years. That would sort us out good and proper.

OK, so only way this is going to happen if the players union steps up for the premier players burn out issue.
As broadcasters pay for so many games per week.

Izz

Bench
Unfortunately, game changed once John came on. Took some poor options, just not quite up to it at this level yet.

Izz

Bench
Also, while Henry was passable at dummy half, we really needed Havili's service when we had that run of possession on the Aussie's line second half.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Forwards were great, haves were great in the first half, backs were a bit meh apart from Whare on defence containing GI. Would've loved to see how wed've competed at full strength.

Meth

Staff member
Hiku made a few mistakes. It was a baptism of fire. I think he's obviously worth persevering with.

Beale had a bit of a dud game, as did Nightingale. Minimum chances for RTS.

JJ

Immortal
Forwards were great, haves were great in the first half, backs were a bit meh apart from Whare on defence containing GI. Would've loved to see how wed've competed at full strength.

Bromwich is a gun!

TBH, if we were at full strength, I think they would have played MUCH better...

And of course, Gallen has hardly played, and they were missing Hayne and Lewis from a full strength side

Also, wonder if we've seen the best of that f**ktard Slater?

Last edited:

waipiro

Juniors
Hiku made a few mistakes. It was a baptism of fire. I think he's obviously worth persevering with.

Beale had a bit of a dud game, as did Nightingale. Minimum chances for RTS.

You reckon Nightingale suffered having Beale inside him on defence?
Beale seemed to keep coming back in on defence instead of trusting his inside man. That meant we were short out wide all night

Iafeta

Referee
Good times ahead for us IMO. Slater and Smith in particular are slowing down and frankly Boyds gone way past the end of the line. I think adding Foran and Luke back in to that team last night we might have got them. SJ I thought was excellent and is developing past being just an outstanding broken field runner, Bromwich, Moa, Proctor, Harris and Taupau were rolling well up front, and I would be remiss not to applaud Ben Henry and Saliva Havili. They weren't overawed by their opponents and were solid in the middle.

All in all, very proud of the effort. I think John cost us a try by failing to slide, Beale was caught out a couple of times positionally and Hiku is a great talent but whom unfortunately had a couple of key errors.

waipiro

Juniors
I thought the forwards played as well as any fit side we could have put on the field for that game.

Probably highlighted that Beale and Hiku, while both in good form at NRL level weren't up to test level.

Havilli was great and I reckon that experience will help his NRL progression tenfold, which is great for the Warriors.

Henry solid in a new role. Defended really well and strong in the tackle for a smaller guy. Some good solid hits on Gallen and really stopped momentum.

Iafeta

Referee
OK, so only way this is going to happen if the players union steps up for the premier players burn out issue.
As broadcasters pay for so many games per week.

Given the player payments per test, I think you'll find this issue is now swept under the carpet.

vvvrulz

Coach
I think adding Foran and Luke back in to that team last night we might have got them.

Agree with everything but this, Australia were very much in cruise mode and I don't believe they would have taken it that easy if we were closer to full strength.

No doubts about our effort though, anything less and we would have got that 50 point towelling I was expecting.

Meth

Staff member
Probably highlighted that Beale and Hiku, while both in good form at NRL level weren't up to test level

hmmm

I am not a huge Beale-eiver, but he has gone alright previously. He's no Matai, but I was happy enough with his selection over SKD.

As for Hiku, he made his share of errors, but I was happy enough with his selection with Hoffman out. We haven't seen the last of him in black.

Meth

Staff member
Agree with everything but this, Australia were very much in cruise mode and I don't believe they would have taken it that easy if we were closer to full strength.

Not sure how you know that. It seems to me that the Kiwis were keener, but outclassed and outsmarted at the end. Add a couple of smarter, more experienced players like Foran and Luke and I think we may not have surrendered that lead at the back end of the game.

Latest posts