What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vs Brisbane ANZ Stadium,Thursday 7.30pm

Milestone Men – Lowe & Te’o

Words: Tom Skolarikis I Photos: Nrlphotos.com
Wed 13th August, 12:43PM
A A http://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/_jcr_content/par/newslist_95ce.rss

1407897892956.jpg

Two Rabbitohs will achieve career milestones when the red and greens step out onto ANZ Stadium this Thursday night. Ben Lowe will play his 100th first grade match (all of which have been for the Rabbitohs), while Ben Te’o will play his 150th career game when the Rabbitohs play the Brisbane Broncos in Close the Gap Round.
Both hard-working forwards and proud Queenslanders, the damaging back-rowers have become regular features in Michael Maguire’s team rotation by providing sting in defence and valuable metres in attack so far this season.
“I’ve got to say, that I can feel every one of those 99 games,” laughs Lowe.
“It’s been such a great honour for me to be at this Club and play all those games here and I’m looking forward to getting out there on Thursday night against the Broncos and getting the job done.”
Te’o, who has enjoyed stints with the Wests Tigers and Brisbane Broncos (38 games for the Rabbitohs), simply feels fortunate to reach the milestone, given his modest goals prior to his first grade debut in 2007.
“The goal at the beginning was always to play one first grade game,” admitted Te’o.
“But I guess I’ve been lucky – worked really hard and now I have the chance to get to 150.

“As a rugby league player, you never know how many (games) you’re actually going to get with things like injuries. I’m just happy that I’ve been able to play so many.”
For Lowe, his road to the top grade came via a stint in the North Queensland Cowboys’ lower-grades behind brother and former Rabbitoh, Jaiman Lowe – a player that Ben cites as his inspiration.
“We were up at the Cowboys together and he played first grade and I didn’t,” recalls Lowe.
“He was a huge influence on me so we really wanted to get the chance to play together, and at a certain point, we actually thought the opportunity had passed.
“Then we were lucky enough to come to Souths, and that’s where it finally happened for us.
“It sounds funny, but it was actually a bit of a bitter-sweet time.
“It was round two in 2008 that I made my debut at Souths, but the week before in round one, it came down to either myself or Jaiman being picked.
“He got picked for round one and I missed out, but the following week, I was in the team and he got dropped. So again, it was a bitter-sweet feeling in some way because we really wanted to play together – eventually we were lucky enough to do that though.”
Fast forward to 2014 though and Lowe is on the cusp of playing his 100th game for the Club. For the proud Rabbitoh, while the milestone is something to put up on the mantelpiece all his focus is on getting the win against the 10th placed Broncos in front of the Rabbitohs faithful.
“This is an important game for us at ANZ Stadium, back on our home-turf,” said Lowe.
“Our Members are the best supporters in the game – I’ve gotten to know a lot of them and they’re just so passionate. So while the milestones are nice this week, it’s all about getting the two points.”

http://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2014/08/13/milestone_men_lowe_te_o.html

souths_pride

Juniors
Agree with the comment on Parker's ability to off-load. Souths were lucky to beat them earlier in the season and the broncs will be determined to reverse that result this time.

Thats a pretty fair call! This is without doubt a real danger game but I think Souths will be really switched on. The key for Souths is completing their sets. Whenever, we've done this in the past this season we've come out on top! In terms of Brisbane, I agree that Corey Parker needs to be closed down but Ben Hunt can be real match winner if a little erratic at times. Also, Brisbane's outside backs are very talented so I think Alex Johnston, Dylan Walker, Auva'a and Tuqiri can expect a real test defensively tomorrow night.

hurricane57

Juniors
All the experts are saying Souths have a really tough run home, starting tomorrow night.
Its my view that a tough run home is the best thing for Souths, barring any injuries, because it toughens up the team.
If Souths can't at least compete with the likes of the Broncos, the Bulldogs, Cowboys etc. then there ain't much use in making the top four, is there.

souths_pride

Juniors
All the experts are saying Souths have a really tough run home, starting tomorrow night.
Its my view that a tough run home is the best thing for Souths, barring any injuries, because it toughens up the team.
If Souths can't at least compete with the likes of the Broncos, the Bulldogs, Cowboys etc. then there ain't much use in making the top four, is there.

Very true! I often felt that the 2013 Souths team brushed aside teams way too easily; I felt at times towards the end of the regular season last year that we almost expected to win games. I remember the game against the Tigers at the SFS, where all four Burgess brothers played for the first time, was one our worst starts to a game in the 3 years Maguire has been at the club! This year is a bit different in that the gap between the four best teams (Manly, Roosters, Souths and the Storm) has closed and that beating the likes of the Cowboys, Brisbane, Canterbury etc is alot tougher. That being said, I think that's a good thing for Souths as it means that we won't get complacent! Also, the biggest thing Souths have got going for them is that the majority of the squad are hitting top form at the right time of the year!

southsport

First Grade
Thats a pretty fair call! This is without doubt a real danger game but I think Souths will be really switched on. The key for Souths is completing their sets. Whenever, we've done this in the past this season we've come out on top! In terms of Brisbane, I agree that Corey Parker needs to be closed down but Ben Hunt can be real match winner if a little erratic at times. Also, Brisbane's outside backs are very talented so I think Alex Johnston, Dylan Walker, Auva'a and Tuqiri can expect a real test defensively tomorrow night.

It should be a cracker of a game........can't wait!

Rabbits20

Immortal
Will be interesting to see how Souths go after a very high intensity game last week. It can be hard for any team in the NRL to back up at the beginning of the next match which can sometimes mean a bad first 40 minutes.

I think we will be hungry and up for it but you never know with the way the comp is this year.

There is no doubt Brisbane will keep on running at Keary all night.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Good luck to them with that! If they watched his game last week, they would have seen how strong he was in defence! Making close to 30 tackles doesn't lie!

I think Brisbane has a bigger forward pack though than Manly! But our forwards have been great and I'm sure Madge will be challenging them to try to take some defensive pressure off our halves.

I am confident though I think Keary and Reynolds are the best defensive halves in the comp

Lote Tuqiri says South Sydney Rabbitohs backs as talented as any he's played alongside

League News
Date August 13, 2014 - 10:00PM
  • (2)
  • Read later

Michael Carayannis

Rugby League Writer

Move over Lockyer, Sailor and Gregan, because Lote Tuqiri believes South Sydney’s potent backline is as good as any the dual international has played alongside in his decorated 16-year career.

The veteran winger indicated that the likes of Rabbitohs young guns including Dylan Walker, Kirisome Auva’a and Alex Johnston could mix it with arguably some of the best backlines seen in either rugby code in recent years.
Fullback Greg Inglis is the only current representative player in the South Sydney backline, while halves pairing Adam Reynolds and Luke Keary are growing in confidence following captain John Sutton’s injury.
Run, Rabbit, run: Lote Tuqiri at training on Monday. Photo: Peter Rae
Tuqiri lined up alongside the likes of Darren Lockyer, Wendell Sailor, Tonie Carroll and Kevin Walters when the Broncos won their 2000 premiership. Three years later, he found himself on the wing with Sailor, Mat Rogers, Stephen Larkham and George Gregan when the Wallabies lost the 2003 World Cup final to England.
''I’m lucky enough to be playing with these boys,'' Tuqiri said. ''I’ve played in some really good backlines. This is definitely up there talent-wise.
''I’m here to instil confidence in them. They’ve already got that confidence and [I am there to encourage them] to showcase their own talent.
''The natural ability from one to seven is really good. They can hold their own in any team in the competition. It’s really good to be part of their growth as young men and footy players.''
Winger Johnston may have been only four when Tuqiri made his top grade debut for Brisbane in 1999 but the 19-year-old has already left a mark on Tuqiri. With 15 tries in 11 games, Tuqiri said Johnston is on track to become one of the best finishers in the game.
''You don’t want to box a bloke in to play a certain way,'' Tuqiri said. ''We haven’t done that this year. I don’t know if they’ve done that in the past but Dylan Walker is playing the way he plays, which is free and open.
''Alex Johnston is just a freak and is slowly becoming one of the best wingers in the comp. He is backing his own ability. It’s just me instilling confidence in them. Greg Inglis is just Greg Inglis. It’s good to be part of.
''I’m the eldest bloke in the comp and in 10 years they’ll still be running around. I’ll tell my boys that I played with that bloke and he is playing for Australia now.''
Inglis – who too has featured in star-studded backlines in representative matches and for his former club side Melbourne – backed Tuqiri’s appraisal of the talented South Sydney youth.
''We have a great mix of young guys in our backs,'' Inglis said. ''I’ve played in some really good sides. Seeing these kids running around, I don’t think I’ve ever been part of such young kids with such talent in a backline.''
Meanwhile, following a mid-season stint in the NSW Cup Tuqiri, 34, has recaptured some of his best form, carrying the ball for more than 100 metres in his past two games as he battles to retain his place ahead of the likes of Bryson Goodwin and Nathan Merritt.
Turiqi will line up on the wing when South Sydney play Brisbane on Thursday night.
As he moves closer to retirement, he still holds a burning desire to win a major title in any code since his first premiership success for the Broncos in 2000.
''At the time I thought I’d win two or three [premierships],'' Tuqiri said. ''I was really hungry to finish my way. Not to say I’m going to finish, I haven’t made that decision.
''We haven’t done anything yet but we are building to something. What that is, I don’t know.''
Best of the backs
Brisbane 2000 grand final backline: Darren Lockyer, Lote Tuqiri, Tonie Carroll, Michael De Vere, Wendell Sailor, Ben Ikin, Kevin Walters.
Australian Wallabies 2003 World Cup final backline: Mat Rogers, Wendell Sailor, Stirling Mortlock, Elton Flatley, Lote Tuqiri, Stephen Larkham, George Gregan.
South Sydney 2014 backline: Greg Inglis, Alex Johnston, Dylan Walker, Kirisome Auva’a, Lote Tuqiri, Luke Keary/John Sutton, Adam Reynolds.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...-alongside-20140813-103gxz.html#ixzz3AH1K8hTT

Why Sam Burgess holds the key for South Sydney Rabbitohs' NRL hopes

League News
Date August 13, 2014 - 10:00PM

Andrew Webster

Rabbit on the rampage ... Sam Burgess on the attack against Manly.

Few people at Souths want to talk about Sam Burgess, especially Sam Burgess, which is OK because actions have always said more than words and pictures in the social pages.
In footy. In anything.
There were two actions from Burgess during the Rabbitohs’ win over Manly at the SCG on Friday night that highlights the depth of his determination this season, but worryingly why Souths might have to win the premiership without him.
One of them came in the dying minutes, with the victory over the competition leaders secured and the statement from Souths starting to reverberate around the famous ground and beyond.
Souths were pressing the Manly line. The play broke down, and Sea Eagles captain Jamie Lyon toed the ball ahead. Lyon chased it. There was nobody between him, the ball and the try line except for 60 metres of sanctified SCG turf.
Until Big Sammy arrived. Channelling the ghost of every famous cover defender to grace that field, all 116 kilograms sprinted across and snuffed out the threat.
These are the plays that coaches have wet dreams about. They are the plays not reflected in the stats. That Burgess made it having done the bulk of his 202 metres, two line breaks and 31 tackles in that match explains his single-minded headspace right now.
The cause for concern comes from the second moment, and it explains the seriousness of the shoulder injury he and Souths must protect between now and the end of the season.
Burgess’ right shoulder is not entirely right. Nobody at Souths will let on exactly how bad it is.
When he fell awkwardly against Canberra late last month, he had genuinely feared the worst. He was man of the match against Manly, but in the first half gave away enough to suggest he’s playing busted.
Sea Eagles winger Jorge Taufua came bustling in from the sideline, about 30 metres out from his own line, and ran towards Burgess. Instead of trying to consign the loud-mouthed winger back to whence he came, Burgess sheepishly dropped his shoulder to protect it.
Better judges than you and me saw it. They now wonder if Burgess’ shoulder will hold out for the next seven or eight matches they must win if Souths are to claim their first premiership since 1971.
The clock has been ticking for more than four decades for tortured South Sydney souls, but for Burgess it is ticking faster.
His decision earlier this year to ask for a release from the final two years of his deal to sign with English rugby means this is his last chance.
He’s playing like a man who knows it.
“I’ll give my everything I’ve got,” Burgess promised Souths members in a video message when he announced he had signed a three-year deal with legendary English club side Bath. “It won’t change one thing. I want to have a cracking final year at the Bunnies. I want to enjoy every moment I’ve got left in the red and green. Hopefully, when the games come around, Souths members will see the passion I have for the club.”
They have. So have his teammates and coaches. The surprising part of it is how many at Souths don’t want to talk about their best player.
His brother, Luke, declined an offer to talk. So did chief executive Shane Richardson.
Coach Michael Maguire said he would prefer to speak down the track, just not ahead of Thursday night’s clash against Brisbane at ANZ Stadium.
It’s all part of the Burgess edict to shift the focus, from his off-field life to his career, this season.
He has respectfully rejected one-on-one interviews all season, with the exception of a recent Footy Show episode. (To clarify, Burgess is not contracted to Channel Nine).
His absence from the spotlight other than the sanctuary within the white lines of the playing field can be attributed to several factors.
From the moment he arrived in Sin City from Dewsbury in Northern England in late 2009, Burgess became social fodder.
Big, strapping and the new best mate of Souths owner Russell Crowe, he was fresh meat to paparrazos and gossip columnists.
There’s no doubt he lapped up the attention, the red carpets, the resourceful women who were standing next to him every time he graced the pages of Sydney Confidential.
He was entitled to, of course, but that sort of blanket exposure also makes you a target - inside and outside of your club.
Externally, the rugby league media’s love affair with Burgess fell apart last August when he was suspended after pleading guilty to grabbing the testicles of Storm opponent Will Chambers. Then, on the Friday night before last year’s grand final, came the documentary that hurt Burgess’s reputation, even if it wasn’t of his own doing.
Slammin’ Sam was narrated by Crowe and aired on Fox Sports. Despite its undeniable quality, it was poorly timed - not least because it presupposed Souths would be in the grand final.
Instead, they had lost their preliminary final against Manly the week before.
There had already been some unrest among the players - namely from Greg Inglis - when the Burgess boys had done a promotional shoot in the lead-up to that match.
The doco created more hype around Burgess but the truth of it was it was part of a third-party deal struck with Beyond Entertainment four years earlier.
Burgess isn’t leaving league because of these reasons, though. Many at Souths doubt it has anything to do with money, and more to do with the fact Maguire can run his team like a ‘‘concentration camp’’.
They’re not our words, but those of former players who have played there in the last few years.
Burgess seemingly fell out of love with footy last year, and wanted a new challenge in a new code ahead of next year’s Rugby World Cup in his home country.
That shock decision initially angered some teammates, and that includes his brothers, who had followed him to Australia.
Yet now, down the stretch of the season, the dust has settled.
Once the definitive bachelor on Sydney’s social scene, Burgess has in the past year settled down with magazine reporter Phoebe Hooke, rarely touched a drink, and focussed on winning.
Burgess has always enjoyed speaking to the media. Having come from England, where other football codes saturate the sporting coverage, he was grateful for the interest.
Nobody has ever lost a match speaking to a reporter, although nobody has ever lost a match in the press box. Maybe someone has just directed Burgess to Mark Twain:
‘‘Action speaks louder than words but not nearly as often.’’

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...-nrl-hopes-20140813-103hbw.html#ixzz3AH1vXvve

Big Sam

First Grade
Are the Indigenous jerseys on sale tonight, because they're not selling them on the website?

Cheer on the Boys Tonight & Saturday!

Thu 14th August, 09:15AM
A A http://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/_jcr_content/par/newslist_95ce.rss

1407801727518.jpg

South Sydney Members and supporters are urged to get behind their Rabbitohs this tonight at ANZ Stadium, and our NYC team this Saturday at Redfern Oval in round 23 of the Telstra Premiership and Holden Cup competitions.
Thursday Night Football returns to the NRL this tonight when the Rabbitohs’ NRL side takes on the Brisbane Broncos at ANZ Stadium. ANZ Stadium Gates will open at 6.00pm, with kick-off scheduled for 7.45pm. But the action doesn’t end on Thursday night!
Rabbitohs Members and supporters have the opportunity to see the Club’s NYC (under 20s), take on the Brisbane Broncos at our spiritual home of Redfern Oval this Saturday afternoon, with kick-off scheduled for 2.00pm.

Match Details
NRL: Thursday 14th August
ANZ Stadium – Rabbitohs v Broncos
Gates Open 6pm, Kick-off 7.45pm

NYC: Saturday 16th August
Redfern Oval – Rabbitohs v Broncos
Kick-off 2.00pm

http://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2014/08/13/cheer_on_the_boys_this_thursday_saturday_.html

This is a real danger game for us. Brisbane are high off last weeks win and they are desperate to make the 8. We, on the other hand, have assured our trip to the finals already and are only really playing to lock in a place in the top 4. The other danger sign is that we are heavily favoured to win.

Obviously, we are also in great form and back home for the first time in a while so these things will play into our hands but I see this as an even bigger test than last week.

Last week it was easy to find the motivation to stick it to the top team in the comp. This week, I'm not so sure we have the necessary inspiration to play well. This is where the coach becomes very important. It all hinges on how well Madge can get the boys heads into the game.

We need to lay a platform early, start well and snuff the Broncos out from the get go. If we give them any sort of sniff, they showed last week that they can take their opportunities so I'm sure they'll make us pay.

Parker and Hunt are the danger men (and Hodges if he plays). Contain these guys and particularly Parkers offloads and we should win.

Bully and Inglis are our keys. They need to both have a blinder tonight.

Can't wait for the game and am hanging for work to hurry up and finish so I can head out there.

Every week is a test in the NRL and if we can pass this test tonight, I will be thrilled.

souths_pride

Juniors
This is a real danger game for us. Brisbane are high off last weeks win and they are desperate to make the 8. We, on the other hand, have assured our trip to the finals already and are only really playing to lock in a place in the top 4. The other danger sign is that we are heavily favoured to win.

Obviously, we are also in great form and back home for the first time in a while so these things will play into our hands but I see this as an even bigger test than last week.

Last week it was easy to find the motivation to stick it to the top team in the comp. This week, I'm not so sure we have the necessary inspiration to play well. This is where the coach becomes very important. It all hinges on how well Madge can get the boys heads into the game.

We need to lay a platform early, start well and snuff the Broncos out from the get go. If we give them any sort of sniff, they showed last week that they can take their opportunities so I'm sure they'll make us pay.

Parker and Hunt are the danger men (and Hodges if he plays). Contain these guys and particularly Parkers offloads and we should win.

Bully and Inglis are our keys. They need to both have a blinder tonight.

Can't wait for the game and am hanging for work to hurry up and finish so I can head out there.

Every week is a test in the NRL and if we can pass this test tonight, I will be thrilled.

I think while its a danger game, its game we should expect to win if we turn up and play like we did last week. In terms of motivation, that shouldn't be an issue at this time of year; if you need motivating to win a comp when your team hasn't won the premiership in 40 odd years then maybe you shouldn't be at Souths. The other thing we have got in our favor is the fact that in most of the games we've lost this season we beat ourselves through stupid mistakes, poor handling, unforced errors etc. I cant think of a loss which we've suffered this season where we've been completely outclassed. Looking at the Broncos, they're a decent side against mid-table teams but against the likes of Manly and Souths they lack the class. I always felt in the game against Manly that they were never really in it; they lack the cohesion in attack and I feel they lack organisation and structure at times. The Bulldogs, while a resilient team, are hardly going to rip a side to shreds. In fact, I feel they have actually overachieved this season! In quite a few of their games which they won by small margins, the result could have been very different. So its important not to read too much into a win against a Bulldogs team that lacks a real flair player.

souths_pride

Juniors
Kyle Turner in doubt with his eye injury.

Must have been from that poke he got last week against Manly. Chris McQueen will probably come into the run on team then with Joe Picker to come on to the bench. I feel sorry for Turner; it seems like hes always been forced off with concussion or some sort of injury.

The Chello

Juniors
Good performance. Brisbane were very enthusiastic and in our faces early on. They showed commitment but in the end costly errors and the class of GI and Sam showed. Not sure about Te'o's chicken wing, he definitely pulled his arm back but from one replay he seemed to let go pretty early not like the Burgess one the previous week where he went on with it. McQueen should get off, it didn't look that bad.
We didn't need AJ this week. GI is just brilliant.
Dead set don't agree with Gus re the use of Keary when Sutton comes back. It would be a dent in his confidence if Souths use him off the bench. He is growing in each match he starts. Sutton should come in for either Lowe or Clark and should be a running wide forward which is what he originally started out as...

Latest posts