What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vs Cowboys ANZ Stadium,Saturday 7.30pm

Rabbits20

Immortal
I'd really like to see Grevsmuhl in for Picker. It'd be a great experience for him especially against his former club. The Cowboys rate him and he's been working hard in NSW Cup all year.

I would as well! Grevshmul I think will offer more than Picker for 20-25 mins off the bench. It would be good for Grevshmul to get a go in a game of first grade for his confidence and what he needs to improve on for next year. I expect him to play regularly off our bench next year.

Anyway Picker normally only makes 2-3 hit ups and 10 tackles. Picker seems to give a penalty or 2 away which forces Madge to only play him for 15 mins. I thought Picker played solid in trials and early rounds but since then instead of improving he is going more backwards.

If we had to re sign Lowe or Picker for 1 more year who would you sign?

My definite answer is Lowe he has played well and is improving over the last 6 weeks. His stint at Norths earlier in the year seems to have worked. Madge told him he had to improve a few things and he has.

souths_pride

Juniors
I would as well! Grevshmul I think will offer more than Picker for 20-25 mins off the bench. It would be good for Grevshmul to get a go in a game of first grade for his confidence and what he needs to improve on for next year. I expect him to play regularly off our bench next year.

Anyway Picker normally only makes 2-3 hit ups and 10 tackles. Picker seems to give a penalty or 2 away which forces Madge to only play him for 15 mins. I thought Picker played solid in trials and early rounds but since then instead of improving he is going more backwards.

If we had to re sign Lowe or Picker for 1 more year who would you sign?

My definite answer is Lowe he has played well and is improving over the last 6 weeks. His stint at Norths earlier in the year seems to have worked. Madge told him he had to improve a few things and he has.

Ben Lowe for sure. He is a quality squad player. You can always rely on him to make a heap of tackles and cart the ball up from inside our 20m. He's not a flash player but he does take alot of pressure off our bigger, more talent forwards. I remember Mark Geyer saying on the Sunday Roast one time that he really rated him and even considered him an outside chance for origin. I don't think hes that good but he's a good first grade player, a loyal club servant and I hope he stays at Souths for the rest of his career.

Big Sam

First Grade
Three perfect games and we'll have our first decent silverware for a quarter of a century. Here's hoping we don't bugger it up again...

rabbitohs95

Bench
Three perfect games and we'll have our first decent silverware for a quarter of a century. Here's hoping we don't bugger it up again...

Not to mention that the Cowboys could upset Manly in the final round.

I agree though we need to win the rest of our games this year no matter what.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Not to mention that the Cowboys could upset Manly in the final round.

I agree though we need to win the rest of our games this year no matter what.

Every game is very hard but I think the most difficult game will be Roosters.

Lets hope if we are in close matches over the next few weeks and finals the refs don't stuff us up they are getting worse every week and are guessing on decisions more like the eels game tonight.

Also that Manly player stayed down and Ben Smith from Eels was put on report for a crusher but the Manly guy ducked!

In the 59th minute Watmough did a crusher on an Eel worse than Mcqueen's one. After the Eel made a 15 metre run but of course as usual Manly don't get put on report they get away with their wrestling and crusher tackles like Storm do! But we get sighted! The refs had better not stuff us up tomorrow in making normal tackles!

Rabbits20

Immortal
I am excited for tomorrow's game though hopefully we get 20-22 thousand. If it rains it might keep a couple of thousand away.

souths_pride

Juniors
I am excited for tomorrow's game though hopefully we get 20-22 thousand. If it rains it might keep a couple of thousand away.

I am too! I made the suggestion in the Parra thread that I thought it would have been a really good idea if both clubs allowed each others season ticket holders to attend both clubs games for free considering whats at stake for both clubs; I think both Parra and Souths fans have an unofficial truce this weekend! We needed them to get a result to give us a shot at the minor premiership and they need us to beat the Cowboys to keep them in the 8! I actually think it still wouldn't be too late for us to come out and allow all Parra season ticket holders to get into the game for free! This sort of thing has been done before earlier in the season and given that its ANZ its not as if there'd be any shortage of seats. We could do with all the support we can get and I think it would be absolutely fantastic if we could get between 40-50 thousand at the game!

Dylan Walker thrilled to be playing alongside childhood hero Lote Tuqiri

South Sydney Rabbitohs League News
Date August 23, 2014 - 7:25AM

"It's awesome to have [Tuqiri and Greg Inglis] nurturing us young blokes": Dylan Walker. Photo: Getty Images

As a bright-eyed 10-year-old, Dylan Walker was too shy to ask Lote Tuqiri for a photo. While Tuqiri won't remember their brief encounter a decade ago, Walker hasn't let the memory slip of the time he met his idol.
"I remember going to a rugby union clinic at Coogee Oval when I was 10," Walker said. "He was there and a big name back then. He was a big boy. I was a big rugby union supporter when I was younger. Seeing Lote was a special moment. It was surreal. Seeing a player of his calibre there and getting to play with him now is awesome.
"It was just awesome seeing him. I've mentioned it to him a couple of times. I probably would've got something signed on a piece of paper. I was a shy kid and didn't want to ask too much from someone. [He is] a big icon to me."
Walker is still star-struck by his dual international teammate. The 14-year age gap has proved no barrier for the pair, who have struck up an exciting combination on South Sydney's right edge.
Advertisement
"You don't want to be like 'oh yeah Lote' and ask for his autograph", Walker said. "I've had a couple of photos with him and had some good laughs and good times with him. It's awesome he is here with us.
"Now he is on the same side of me, it's awesome.
"It's awesome to have [Tuqiri and Greg Inglis] nurturing us young blokes. We take a lot of what they say on board. Our confidence grows. We are having fun at training and on the field."
The fleet-footed centre, along with fellow rookie backs Alex Johnston and Kirisome Auva'a, have provided the attacking spark that has been lacking for South Sydney in recent seasons. It prompted Tuqiri to call South Sydney's back line as good as any he had played with throughout his decorated career.
Walker said he was better prepared for finals football this year, having gone through the big game experience for the first time last year.
"I didn't know how much it meant to me or as a team last year," he said. "I was just enjoying the time. This year I've done a full pre-season ... I'm growing and learning as a person. I go into every game as confident as I can.
"After the semi I was a bit disappointed but I thought I'd wait to next year or the years to come. Speaking to [the senior players] you realise they don't come around too often."
The Rabbitohs will secure a top four spot with a win against North Queensland, who are clinging to their top eight spot. South Sydney have won their past five games with halfback Adam Reynolds playing a big role. Walker said Reynolds had stepped up in the absence of captain John Sutton.
"He has taken responsibility on his shoulders and is playing awesome," Walker said. "He has worked hard through all the adversity he has had this year. Since he had his newborn child, he has been really happy. He has come to training happy about his new family life."

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...ote-tuqiri-20140822-1072d0.html#ixzz3BBFWn0ZT

It’s no choke, but John Sattler questions Greg Inglis’s big-game mettle

• by: Paul Malone
  • August 23, 2014 12:00AM

South Sydney fullback Greg Inglis in action. Source: News Corp Australia

HE’S the toast of South Sydney fans, but their last premiership captain says Greg Inglis can “go missing’’ in matches and does not compare with Immortal fullback Graeme Langlands.

John Sattler, captain of the 1971 Rabbitohs team that won the club’s most recent grand final, reveals he does not have a bar of opinions he hears that Inglis in his biography “Glory, Glory’’, co-written by The Courier-Mail’s Peter Badel, to be released next week.
Inglis, North Queensland’s biggest menace approaching tonight’s clutch NRL match against Souths, scored his third hat-trick of the season last week against Brisbane.
South Sydney's Greg Inglis all smiles during Rabbitohs training. Source: News Corp Australia
While Inglis found the 2014 Origin series one of his most difficult to influence, he is the joint leader with Darius Boyd for most career Origin tries and his 23 tries from 28 Tests places him fourth on the Australian list behind Darren Lockyer (35).
“I’ve heard people suggest Greg Inglis, the current Souths and Queensland star, can be the game’s greatest fullback,’’ Sattler writes.
“Greg is a rare talent, no question, but with due respect to him he wouldn’t do Chang’s (Langlands’s) bootlaces up. There are days when Greg can go missing in games. Changa always turned up.
“Inglis is a freakish natural talent. (Coach Michael) Maguire’s decision to shift him to fullback can deliver him to greatness.’’
A devastating “on’’ night by Inglis against the Broncos has emphasised to Cowboys coach Paul Green that all their kick chases must be delivered in numbers and free of tackling error.
But there are other Souths weapons to be confronted, with Sattler reserving praise for forwards Sam Burgess and Issac Luke.
“If there is one current Rabbitoh I feel a special affinity with, it is Sam Burgess,’’ he added.
“I know he’s had some issues with his discipline in defence but, in my view, he’s the most damaging forward in the code today. The tragedy is that Sam has been lost to rugby league.
“I had the pleasure of meeting Sam at a club reunion and felt an instant bond. He is a ferocious competitor who never takes a backward step and would go to war for his teammates.’’
Sattler rates Maguire as the man destined to break the premiership drought of Souths.
“Michael can be Souths’ best coach since my premiership-winning years under Clive Churchill,’’ he writes.
“In Maguire, South Sydney have a coach capable of taking them to the holy grail.
“Watching him from close range, Michael has strands of Clive’s style. He has a lovely common touch, mixed with a fine understanding of tactics and team culture, and the ability to be tough when necessary.’’
Glory, Glory the story of one of the games greatest, My life John Sattler with Peter Badel. Source: Supplied

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...s-biggame-mettle/story-fni3gki8-1227033539456

GLORY, GLORY: My Life by John Sattler with Peter Badel, published by NERO.
Available Monday from Dymocks and all good book stores.
RRP $34.99.
Signed copies at www.johnsattlerbook.com

Last edited:
South Sydney young gun Dylan Walker heading towards Kangaroos jumper

• by: Paul Crawley
  • August 23, 2014 12:00AM

• DYLAN Walker can remember standing on Coogee Oval as a 10 year old at a rugby union clinic looking at Lote Tuqiri with stars in his eyes.

Back then Tuqiri was playing for the NSW Waratahs and Wallabies after switching codes following his meteoric rise at the Broncos.
    Today, Tuqiri is the game’s oldest player, turning 35 next month, while 19-year-old Walker is the new star in the rise.
    “He was playing for the Waratahs at that time and it was just awesome seeing him,” Walker recalled.
    “He was the big name back then and he was a big boy.
    “I was a big rugby union supporter when I was young and seeing Lote was a special moment.
    “Now I actually get to play with him, and he is on the same side as me ... it is awesome.”
    But heading into Saturday’s game against the Cowboys where Walker and Tuqiri will stand side by side on Souths’ right edge, Walker’s name has now emerged as a contender for this year’s end of season Four Nations even though he is still eligible to play for the Junior Kangaroos on their tour to New Zealand.
    While no one will say it publicly, the South Sydney teenage flyer is being spoken about in the meetings that matter.
    And if he can stay injury free and hold the form he has shown this season throughout the finals, he will be a strong chance to get a spot in Tim Sheens’ 24-man Kangaroo squad.
    Sheens was reluctant to push any names this week when contacted but he did admit that there would be an “element of youth” in the squad.
    In 2011 Sheens launched Daly Cherry-Evans’ rep career when he took the Manly halfback away to England for the Four Nations after his outstanding debut season, and allowing Walker the same opportunity this year would make sense given most believe it will only be a matter of time before he becomes a representative regular.
    Rabbitohs flyer Dylan Walker makes a break. Source: News Corp Australia The Kangaroos first game of the tournament is against the Kiwis on October 25 in Brisbane and after that they play England and Samoa before the final in Wellington on November 15.
    If Walker does get a start he will just miss out on joining the Kangaroos’ teenage club given he turns 20 on September 27, a week before the grand final.
    Israel Folau was only 18 when he debuted for the Kangaroos while Karmichael Hunt, Jarryd Hayne, Brad Fittler, Jamie Lyon and Greg Inglis were all 19 when they made their Test debuts.
    Walker said it has always been his dream to play rep football.
    “Definitely when you are younger you want to play State of Origin, play for Australia, win a grand final and everything,” Walker said.
    But he said Tuqiri’s personal experience has also taught him a valuable lesson.
    Despite all his success in league and union, Tuqiri’s only premiership win came way back in2000 in just his second season at the Broncos.
    The irony is this is also Walker’s second season at the Rabbitohs, and the heartbreak of lastyear’s finals exit has made him painfully aware that it can all end in misery if you don’t keep you mind on the moment.
    Walker explained: “That is what I was thinking last year after that semi (loss to Manly in the grand final qualifier). I was obviously a bit disappointed but I thought to myself, ‘Oh, I will wait ‘till next year or in years to come’.
    “But speaking to (Lote and Greg Inglis) it obviously doesn’t come along very often.
    “Lote has only won that grand final and he hasn’t won since.
    “He tells you how important it is and you have to take it on board. You have to cherish the moments you have.”
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...kangaroos-jumper/story-fni3gki8-1227033441393

Last edited:

Rabbits20

Immortal
Any idea if the club is doing their membership gets free transport to the game deal?

It is just free travel for Sydney Train services NOT for buses and ferries etc.

I always get the train and all NRL games at ANZ have free train travel but you need your membership card or pre purchased ticket if you are buying at the gate you need to pay for the train.

rabbitohs95

Bench
It is just free travel for Sydney Train services NOT for buses and ferries etc.

I always get the train and all NRL games at ANZ have free train travel but you need your membership card or pre purchased ticket if you are buying at the gate you need to pay for the train.

Cheers mate, big game tonight gonna be sceaming my head off from the burrow

souths_pride

Juniors
Very disappointing performance from the team tonight. I felt right from the kick off that we were out-enthused; the cowboys played like a desperate team and got the the points. Full credit to Thurston - he is such an awesome player and he was probably the difference between the teams tonight! At times it felt like he had the ball on a string when he was kicking and the way he is able to literally take defenders out of the game and put players into holes is mesmerizing! In saying that, the aspect of our game that was the poorest tonight was our last tackle options. Our kicking was pretty bad; too many bombs were easily defused by Michael Morgan with chasers unable to get anywhere near him. Even the bombs he spilled were by no means outstanding kicks. Adam Reynold had a pretty poor game even though he never stopped trying. Also, I felt Dylan Walker tried to get a bit too tricky on some of his last play options and in general play and we subsequently paid the price by turning over possession. We also lost the battle of the forwards; our line speed that smashed Manly and the Broncos to bits wasn't there and I felt at times we struggled to work the ball out of our own half, despite a few good runs from the Burgess brothers!

Our best player was Issac Luke. Just had a read of the stats and he made 144m from dummy half which is immense! Sam Burgess was dynamic and I'm really impressed with the way Tom Burgess has stepped up! Special mention goes out to Ben Lowe as well; he was really strong and worked hard! Looking at the performance in retrospect it was probably our halves that let us down. When the opposition comes out really fired up and has dominated you early on, your halves can't afford to make mistakes when you get chances of your own; it not only kills your momentum but gives the opposition a lift. Because of poor last tackle options and our in ability to really carve out chances we paid the price. It may seem a little harsh but thats the way rugby league is; that is why the halves are such a pivotal position!

Now to the refereeing. I don't want to sound like I'm blaming the referees for our loss but I thought they got some crucial calls wrong! Greg Inglis getting pushed into touch early on was clearly a penalty - his body and hit the ground and his momentum had stopped for a brief second! That put us under pressure right from the get go. The Chris McQueen obstruction was terrible! I cannot believe the referees/touch judges didnt even flag it down to be checked given the over-cautious nature of referees these days when it comes to awarding tries. It was a blatant obstruction with Tariq Sims running into McQueen and Kyle Feldt running into the hole created! The Luke Keary no try was possibly a terrible decision which virtually killed the game! It was as clear as day Keary had his hand on the ball before the chalk! Where was the doubt? I know the referee awarded it a no try but if that is not conclusive evidence then I'm not sure what is! I also felt the Cowboys got away with absolute murder in the rucks tonight; the way they were slowing it down was unbelievable considering you have lunatic referees like Shayne Hayne who are Nazis when it comes to the ruck! But hey full credit to them! They saw they could get away with it and continued to do so; only an idiot would not adapt his game to suit the referees calls.

To sum up, the cowboys full deserved their win. I think I may have said before I expected Souths to lose one more game before the finals. It seems silly to say but that loss will keep us in check. I felt at times last year that we were doing it all too easy and that we almost felt that it was our god given right to play in the Grand Final because of how impressive we were in the regular season; it doesn't work that way and the loss will again shake us up into believing that we are not as invincible as everyone makes out.

Lastly, the Adam Reynolds injured may not be that big a blow. Yes he is our half back but you have to analyse the players the we've got. We are blessed with quite a few players who can play in the halves. Luke Keary can play both a 6 and 7; in the game against Parra he came on for Reynolds and changed the game. He drifts into first receiver on the left hand side of the field anyway. I think with Reynolds facing a stint on the sidelines, you will see Keary play more as a conventional half back and play on both sides of the ruck. If Sutton isn't back next week (I've heard he is) then Dylan Walker will surely be moved to five-eight. He plays very much like a five-eight anyway in the way that he plays all over the field and operates at second-receiver most of the time rather than purely as a typical edge of the ruck centre! Many experts believe that Dylan Walker will be a no. 6 in the future anyway! I actually feel that we could well offer a greater threat with Walker at 6 and Keary at 7! The reason being that both players can hurt you with the footy in their hands; world class halves always have a good running game! Its the hardest thing to defend against because the half is able to draw in defenders because the ball is spread wide of the ruck! No need to panic; this could be a blessing in disguise!

God-King Dean

Immortal
I don't think you're chances have been hurt too much by losing Reynolds. It could have increased them.

Perhaps I am underestimating his value to the team, his kicking game will be missed. But I feel Keary now being the main man will add some unpredictability to your structure.

souths_pride

Juniors
I don't think you're chances have been hurt too much by losing Reynolds. It could have increased them.

Perhaps I am underestimating his value to the team, his kicking game will be missed. But I feel Keary now being the main man will add some unpredictability to your structure.

Adam Reynolds is a very very fine footballer; if we let him go he would be snapped up in a second! However, your right! Luke Keary will play as a conventional halfback and you've got Dylan Walker who can play no.6 who is equally as 'unpredictable'; they're both match winners! The area where we may REALLY miss Adam Reynolds is goal kicking; its been proven already this season that games can be decided by kicks at goal and/or how many you miss. With Reynolds out injured, we've lost our first choice goal kicker although in years gone by Issac Luke has been a really handy goal kicker and Dylan Walker can kick too!

Rabbits20

Immortal
Very disappointing performance from the team tonight. I felt right from the kick off that we were out-enthused; the cowboys played like a desperate team and got the the points. Full credit to Thurston - he is such an awesome player and he was probably the difference between the teams tonight! At times it felt like he had the ball on a string when he was kicking and the way he is able to literally take defenders out of the game and put players into holes is mesmerizing! In saying that, the aspect of our game that was the poorest tonight was our last tackle options. Our kicking was pretty bad; too many bombs were easily defused by Michael Morgan with chasers unable to get anywhere near him. Even the bombs he spilled were by no means outstanding kicks. Adam Reynold had a pretty poor game even though he never stopped trying. Also, I felt Dylan Walker tried to get a bit too tricky on some of his last play options and in general play and we subsequently paid the price by turning over possession. We also lost the battle of the forwards; our line speed that smashed Manly and the Broncos to bits wasn't there and I felt at times we struggled to work the ball out of our own half, despite a few good runs from the Burgess brothers!

Our best player was Issac Luke. Just had a read of the stats and he made 144m from dummy half which is immense! Sam Burgess was dynamic and I'm really impressed with the way Tom Burgess has stepped up! Special mention goes out to Ben Lowe as well; he was really strong and worked hard! Looking at the performance in retrospect it was probably our halves that let us down. When the opposition comes out really fired up and has dominated you early on, your halves can't afford to make mistakes when you get chances of your own; it not only kills your momentum but gives the opposition a lift. Because of poor last tackle options and our in ability to really carve out chances we paid the price. It may seem a little harsh but thats the way rugby league is; that is why the halves are such a pivotal position!

Now to the refereeing. I don't want to sound like I'm blaming the referees for our loss but I thought they got some crucial calls wrong! Greg Inglis getting pushed into touch early on was clearly a penalty - his body and hit the ground and his momentum had stopped for a brief second! That put us under pressure right from the get go. The Chris McQueen obstruction was terrible! I cannot believe the referees/touch judges didnt even flag it down to be checked given the over-cautious nature of referees these days when it comes to awarding tries. It was a blatant obstruction with Tariq Sims running into McQueen and Kyle Feldt running into the hole created! The Luke Keary no try was possibly a terrible decision which virtually killed the game! It was as clear as day Keary had his hand on the ball before the chalk! Where was the doubt? I know the referee awarded it a no try but if that is not conclusive evidence then I'm not sure what is! I also felt the Cowboys got away with absolute murder in the rucks tonight; the way they were slowing it down was unbelievable considering you have lunatic referees like Shayne Hayne who are Nazis when it comes to the ruck! But hey full credit to them! They saw they could get away with it and continued to do so; only an idiot would not adapt his game to suit the referees calls.

To sum up, the cowboys full deserved their win. I think I may have said before I expected Souths to lose one more game before the finals. It seems silly to say but that loss will keep us in check. I felt at times last year that we were doing it all too easy and that we almost felt that it was our god given right to play in the Grand Final because of how impressive we were in the regular season; it doesn't work that way and the loss will again shake us up into believing that we are not as invincible as everyone makes out.

Lastly, the Adam Reynolds injured may not be that big a blow. Yes he is our half back but you have to analyse the players the we've got. We are blessed with quite a few players who can play in the halves. Luke Keary can play both a 6 and 7; in the game against Parra he came on for Reynolds and changed the game. He drifts into first receiver on the left hand side of the field anyway. I think with Reynolds facing a stint on the sidelines, you will see Keary play more as a conventional half back and play on both sides of the ruck. If Sutton isn't back next week (I've heard he is) then Dylan Walker will surely be moved to five-eight. He plays very much like a five-eight anyway in the way that he plays all over the field and operates at second-receiver most of the time rather than purely as a typical edge of the ruck centre! Many experts believe that Dylan Walker will be a no. 6 in the future anyway! I actually feel that we could well offer a greater threat with Walker at 6 and Keary at 7! The reason being that both players can hurt you with the footy in their hands; world class halves always have a good running game! Its the hardest thing to defend against because the half is able to draw in defenders because the ball is spread wide of the ruck! No need to panic; this could be a blessing in disguise!

I agree with nearly everything you say great summary of the match!

I would play Sutton at 6 next week and Keary at 7. I definitely think we can't move Dylan away from centre it won't work. We don't have anyone as quick and skillful as Dylan to play centre.
Tonight Reynolds and Keary didn't step up that was the difference they were both quite poor. With Reynolds I think he will miss a week or 2 I think we need Sutton's stability, strong running game, grabber kicks and solid defence. I think Madge will want Sutton at 6 and he will play heavily strapped around his knee.

We still need to win 1 out of last 2 to make top 4 now is not the time to experiment Walker at 6 again and bring in Goodwin who will leak points!

Thurston was by far the best player on the field his kicking game was superb he just has the brilliance to keep on getting repeat sets and he was choking us in our own end which we struggled to get out of. Their forwards were way too good for us tonight.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Also the referring gets worse every week and there is no consistency at all from game to game.

We seem to be in the bad books with the refs at the moment and we are getting wrong calls against us.

I hope we can win against the dogs we need to, to secure a top 4 spot with such a congested ladder. But we will need to beat the dogs 14th and 15th men on field the bloody referees!

Despite questionable calls tonight though clearly the better team won and the Cowboys are on a roll! Robert Lui played well as well.

Latest posts