What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vs Cowboys ANZ Stadium,Saturday 7.30pm

souths_pride

Juniors
I agree with nearly everything you say great summary of the match!

I would play Sutton at 6 next week and Keary at 7. I definitely think we can't move Dylan away from centre it won't work. We don't have anyone as quick and skillful as Dylan to play centre.
Tonight Reynolds and Keary didn't step up that was the difference they were both quite poor. With Reynolds I think he will miss a week or 2 I think we need Sutton's stability, strong running game, grabber kicks and solid defence. I think Madge will want Sutton at 6 and he will play heavily strapped around his knee.

We still need to win 1 out of last 2 to make top 4 now is not the time to experiment Walker at 6 again and bring in Goodwin who will leak points!

Thurston was by far the best player on the field his kicking game was superb he just has the brilliance to keep on getting repeat sets and he was choking us in our own end which we struggled to get out of. Their forwards were way too good for us tonight.
Thanks mate. I just watched the press conference and Michael Maguire said Adam Reynolds suffered a 'spasm' but he will still need to go for scans. I'm not sure what that means in terms of how long he will be out but I'm thinking he may miss a week. The thing is that Sutton is touch and go and still not ready according to Maguire, so the only other option is play Walker at five-eight or face the prospect of playing a rookie there and I can't see that happening in such a crucial game. Walker plays like a natural five-eight anyway; I really don't see it changing his game too drastically from what he's doing now. But if Sutton is fit, then I agree with you - he'll slot straight in a 6. I'm not sure if they're fit but you could bring Merritt or Joel Reddy into the team as well. Another option would be to play Greg Inglis in the centers and play Alex Johnston at fullback; I've heard more than once, and I think that Maguire has confirmed this, that Johnston is a far more scintillating fullback than a winger! But we shall see! I would bet my money on Walker being moved to 6 if John Sutton isn't fit yet though.

alien

Referee
walking out of anz stadium, i was more concerned about reynolds being injured than the actual loss. anyone can lose 1 game. even manly, who are coming first, lost this round, but its important not to lose 2 in a row...

southsport

First Grade
I think the cowboys have beaten us 3 in a row now, they are a bogey side for Souths.........bad decisions by the ref and video ref though.

souths_pride

Juniors
I think the cowboys have beaten us 3 in a row now, they are a bogey side for Souths.........bad decisions by the ref and video ref though.

Its hard to believe the Cowboys can play that well and blow top teams off the park, yet serve up some of the s*** they do against the lesser teams and end up getting hammered!

Rabbits20

Immortal
Thanks mate. I just watched the press conference and Michael Maguire said Adam Reynolds suffered a 'spasm' but he will still need to go for scans. I'm not sure what that means in terms of how long he will be out but I'm thinking he may miss a week. The thing is that Sutton is touch and go and still not ready according to Maguire, so the only other option is play Walker at five-eight or face the prospect of playing a rookie there and I can't see that happening in such a crucial game. Walker plays like a natural five-eight anyway; I really don't see it changing his game too drastically from what he's doing now. But if Sutton is fit, then I agree with you - he'll slot straight in a 6. I'm not sure if they're fit but you could bring Merritt or Joel Reddy into the team as well. Another option would be to play Greg Inglis in the centers and play Alex Johnston at fullback; I've heard more than once, and I think that Maguire has confirmed this, that Johnston is a far more scintillating fullback than a winger! But we shall see! I would bet my money on Walker being moved to 6 if John Sutton isn't fit yet though.

Yep if Sutton is not fit it will definitely have to be walker at 6.

At least Josh Reynolds is still out for the dogs and Josh Morris doesn't seem to be running fast with his knee or hamstring.

Without Sutton or Reynolds though our long kicking game may be a problem most of the pressure would be on Keary! Issac would kick out of dummy half to help out maybe a few bombs from GI as well.

Rabbits20

Immortal

Yeah the refeering was bad but last night they deserved it! But lets hope we don't get ripped off in a finals game where both teams are playing well and the score is very close!

In my opinion the refs are worse this year they stuff most games and I think it could be a controversial finals series where we are talking about the refs and not the great footy!

The Chello

Juniors
Cowboys simply were the better side on the night. First error after something like 55-60 mins was outstanding football and the pressure was applied. We actually did well to be within touch at half time. Our composure and patience was missing when we did have the ball in the first half and some brain explosions by Walker on the last tackle throughout the night didn't help, but he's enthusiastic and these will be made. When we needed some composure and opportunities to apply pressure, we didn't execute. Very poor last tackle kicking options but again, give Cowboys some credit, They defended well last night and applied pressure on our attack.
JT was brilliant, a master class in controlling the game.
The two dud decisions could have made a significant difference in the end but that is only conjecture. Would we have been spurred on? Would we have gained some momentum? maybe. I think the obstruction was clear. Would have McQueen managed to cover the hole created, quite possibly, but he was never given the chance and that should have been a no try. The No Try on Sandow the previous night and now this one, terrible decisions.
The No Try Keary was an interesting one. He was clearly impeded by Lui grabbing his left arm which meant he had to go for the ball with his right arm. Thought he just managed to score before the line but it was definitely a 50/50 call which went with the ref's original call. Madge queried this in the press conference whether it should have been a penalty try but there was no absolute 100% certainty he was going to score, maybe 95% !!!
In reality, our kicking game let us down in the end and patience which have been very good of late. No big deal but now it makes it interesting with the last two games. Roosters winning easily today puts pressure on that last game to stay in the top 4. We have to win both games to do it. If we lose one or both we would more than likely miss the top 4 which would be a huge blow but I think we should beat the Dogs and the Roosters game will be a cracker.
The argument as to who will replace Reynolds is interesting. If Sutton is not ready and, let's face it, he has missed some weeks and will lack match fitness, I would go for Walker/Keary combination. having Tom back is a huge boost to the pack which I thought lacked real enthusiasm early on. Were better in the 2nd half.

alien

Referee
No big deal but now it makes it interesting with the last two games. Roosters winning easily today puts pressure on that last game to stay in the top 4. We have to win both games to do it. If we lose one or both we would more than likely miss the top 4 which would be a huge blow but I think we should beat the Dogs and the Roosters game will be a cracker.

Souths will probably only have to win 1 of the last 2 matches to make the top 4...

souths_pride

Juniors
If both Reynolds and Sutton are out, I would go with Keary and Koroisau as the halves

Korosiau is the halves is not a bad shout but its unlikely to happen. Koroisau has plenty of experience playing at halfback but he hasn't played there in a while and is also off to Penrith at the end of the season; I can't see him being used again this season unless Isaac Luke gets injured. In fact, is Koroisau injured as well? I haven't seen him named for Norths in a while! I've always thought Maguire has wanted to play Dylan Walker as a five-eight but was under pressure to move him back to the centres because it wasn't working at the start of the season. Keary also looked good at half back in the game against Parramatta so playing at him there would be the most logical idea.

Dogmatix

Juniors
Hard to know if Koroisau is out injured or not. He last played in Rd 21 which was 3 weeks back. But hardly any of the Souths players have turned out for the Bears recently and no Souths players were in the Bears team this week

Rabbits20

Immortal
Reports that Adam Reynolds was at Erskineville Oval today, walking freely without strapping.

Hopefully that is true. Lets hope Reynolds will only miss this week and play against the Roosters. It would be too much of a risk even if he ok to play against the dogs on a short turn around.

Will be interesting to see if Sutton plays. If Reynolds is out I think we definitely need him. Even if Sutton plays at 6 I think Dylan will float around the field a bit and help with some ball playing. It would help take some pressure off Sutton too as he would be down on match fitness!

alien

Referee
that last try that nth qld scored was because lote came in off his wing again in defense. drives me nuts!!! ](*,)

Rabbits20

Immortal
that last try that nth qld scored was because lote came in off his wing again in defense. drives me nuts!!! ](*,)

Alex Johnston also came off his wing for their 2nd try as well. But when our centres come in Walker and Auva'a our wingers come in as well, if they stay out on their wing there will be a big gap to go through and the opposition will run in between them and still score anyway. Or if our winger stays on their wing and comes in right at the last moment the opposition will still pass and score as well.

I think it is about numbers in defence if we have the numbers advantage then there is no reason why our wingers should come in. But mostly from what I have seen we have been caught out with the opposition having more numbers.

Our defence has been pretty good except the last 2 weeks we have got caught out a bit and allowed too many overlaps from not spreading out a little bit more with our line.

souths_pride

Juniors
Alex Johnston also came off his wing for their 2nd try as well. But when our centres come in Walker and Auva'a our wingers come in as well, if they stay out on their wing there will be a big gap to go through and the opposition will run in between them and still score anyway. Or if our winger stays on their wing and comes in right at the last moment the opposition will still pass and score as well.

I think it is about numbers in defence if we have the numbers advantage then there is no reason why our wingers should come in. But mostly from what I have seen we have been caught out with the opposition having more numbers.

Our defence has been pretty good except the last 2 weeks we have got caught out a bit and allowed too many overlaps from not spreading out a little bit more with our line.

From memory the last try came about because Gavin Cooper (I think) ran at Dylan Walker, spun once Walker had committed to the tackle which allowed a quick cut out pass to the try scorer. Defending on the wings and in the centers is about communication, decision making and working with your winger and your other inside defender. Your right in saying that wingers needs to come in but that wasn't the problem. Unfortunately, it was Dylan Walker who is probably most at fault as he should have wrapped the ball carrier up quick and prevented him from getting away that pass. In saying that, it was a well executed set move. The try could also be put down to a lack of numbers on that side of the field. When your defending your try line you should never allow the opposition team to have more numbers than you on the open side; to be truthful you should actually try and match the attacking teams numbers e.g. if they have 6 attackers on the open side, you should have at least 6-7 to match them.

Latest posts