What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vs Easts,ANZ Stadium 7.50pm Friday 8th April

No Love Lost in Rivalry

Words: Tom Skolarikis I Video: Guy Bevan

Thu 7th April, 04:26PM
A A
http://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2016/04/07/no_love_lost_in_riva.html

If your new partner was a Roosters fan, would that be a deal-breaker? One thing’s for sure – the Rabbitohs v Roosters rivalry runs deep.

Take for instance 49 year old Platinum Member, Harry, for whom the Rivalry became all too real in the late 80s when he fell for now-former Easts supporter – now a die-hard Rabbitoh – Poppy.

While for some – like our friend in the video above – Rugby League allegiances can prove a deal-breaker, the life-long Rabbitoh seized the opportunity to convert his now wife.

“’It’s either me or your team’, that was the choice,” laughed Harry.

“I might have said it a bit tongue-in-cheek at the time, but part of me was deadly serious. I didn’t want those colours in my house, or for my kids to have split allegiances. I come from a Rabbitohs family and I wanted that tradition to continue.

“And I mean how would we have raised the kids otherwise? It was more of an issue than deciding to Christen them! My kids – Annie and Michael – are in their 20s now and they’re proud Members, so I feel like I’ve done my bit.”

Have you jumped on board yet? Join the team in 2016 by becoming a Rabbitohs Member NOW!

The sentiment was raised again more recently when daughter, Annie, brought home her boyfriend Steven. But before the requisite onslaught of-‘concerned father’ questions, Harry posed his silver bullet question to the newcomer.

“I didn’t bother probing about job prospects, addictions or any future plans to start off with,” remembered Harry smirking.

“The first thing I asked him when he came home was which football team he supports. He said he was a Souths supporter and I later found out that they’d actually met at a game. Needless to say, he’s still around and we all get along.”

A life-long local now living in the heart of Rabbitohs territory in Maroubra, Harry, recalls the Rivalry with Roosters fans that he experienced as a child going to school in the area.

“We’re all neighbours – we may hold the balance of power 80-20, but the banter’s always been there,” said Harry.

“I went to Rainbow Street Public and Randwick Boys High, so we were all mixed in together and we always gave each other a bit of grief. There’d always be arguments in the playground about what had happened at the weekend’s game.

“Funnily enough, that still happens with the same mates through text messages, emails and the like whenever it’s time to play each other. I don’t think that’ll ever change between us, and nor should it.

“We’ll all be there as a family this Friday night, sitting in Bay 131 like we always do. We need everyone else to do the same!”

The Rabbitohs will take on the Sydney Roosters in the deciding Ron Coote Cup clash at ANZ Stadium in Friday Night Football this Friday night! Click here to purchase tickets.

PREVIEW: Rd 6, 2016

Words: Tom Skolarikis I Video: Guy Bevan

Thu 7th April, 04:27PM
A A

Fujitsu Presents

Rabbitohs v Roosters

Friday 8 April 2016

7:50pm - NRL Kick Off

The game’s oldest rivalry returns to ANZ Stadium this Friday night when the South Sydney Rabbitohs take on the Sydney Roosters in Round 6 of the NRL Telstra Premiership.

Click here to purchase tickets.

Bragging rights and competition points will be well and truly on the line in the affair, as well as the coveted Ron Coote Cup – a trophy that celebrates Souths Junior, Rabbitohs and Roosters Premiership winner, Ron Coote for his immeasurable contribution to both organisations.

But while the history, rivalry and everything that goes with it will set the scene well for what promises to be another memorable event, it all comes down to what happens on the field.

The Rabbitohs come into the clash having won three out of their first five games, while the Roosters meanwhile are yet to open their 2016 account.

Click here for this week’s Rabbitohs line-up.

Click here for this week’s Roosters line-up.

The men in Red and Green showed plenty of character to grind out a win against the fast-finishing Sea Eagles in Round 5, but will be looking to build and improve on that effort.

And while it was the Rabbitohs who took the points against the Chooks in Round 1, Head Coach Michael Maguire cited the fact that the match will be a whole new ball-game, with the focus of his side firmly trained on getting the two points this week.

“You look at a few performances along the way but it’s a whole new ball game when we step out on Friday,” said Maguire.

“We’ve got to make sure that we’re really focussed about the things that we need to do.

“For us, we’ve got a lot of things that we need to improve on so it’s about looking at the little things that we need to get better as a team. We need to be a lot stronger defensively right through the middle of the park.”

Tricolours coach, Trent Robinson, meanwhile has been pleased with his side’s ‘fight’ in recent weeks leading into this week’s game.

“I thought especially the last two weeks after the Cowboys game, the boys have been fighting hard,” said Robinson.

“Two opportunities to win games, but when you lose a few, it’s hard to get across that line in the end.”

Spotlight – The Outside Backs

After spending a week on the sidelines as a precaution, Bryson Goodwin returns to the starting line-up to bolster Souths’ stocks. His inclusion on the wing means Kirisome Auva’a will reprise his role in the centres for the second consecutive week in a move that is sure to add plenty of starch to the Red and Green defence out wide. Throw in the likes of Hymel Hunt, Aaron Gray and Greg Inglis – all of whom have performed strongly so far this season – and Souths’ outside backs will this week possess formidable strike power in both attack and defence.

NYC

Fujitsu Presents

Rabbitohs v Roosters

Friday 8 April 2016

5:35pm - NYC Kick Off

After five games played so far in 2016, the Rabbitohs NYC (under 20s) outfit find themselves sitting in fourth position on the competition ladder with three wins and two losses heading into this Friday’s clash against the second-placed Roosters.

Currently just one win ahead of the Rabbitohs, the Roosters come into the match having trounced the New Zealand Warriors by 44-6 at Central Coast Stadium – a game that did wonders for the side’s for and against.

Meanwhile, the Rabbitohs took Manly to task at Brookvale Oval in Round 5 with the men in Red and Green emerging 32-22 victors after the 80 minutes in a performance that showed glimpses of brilliance from David Penna’s men.

Look to players such as fullback Tom Perrin, halfback Liam Coleman, as well as five-eighth Chad O’Donnell to provide plenty in the way of creativity as they look to get outside of the Roosters in this Round 6 clash.

Make sure you’re at ANZ Stadium early to help cheer on the Club’s next generation of players do battle with our oldest rivals.

http://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2016/04/07/preview_rd_6_2016.html

Some great news for you and fellas R20
I've just checked the rainfall radar and can nearly guarantee 100% the game will be played without any rain at all
The rain band has just about moved past us all and heading east out to sea
Dry fast track, just how they love it
C'mon bunnies lets do this for the full 80

Miagi

Juniors
Absolutely terrible performance tonight we had nothing to throw at the roosters, feeling very disappointed.

Curns13

Juniors
Souths are woeful. Unfortunately many of our players are rubbish, our coaching seems rubbish, our game plan is rubbish and for all but 220 minutes of the last 240 minutes of rugby league we have played like rubbish. Expect huge losses in the next 2 weeks.

Curns13

Juniors
Don't think Souths can make the 8 this year Inglis is past it

Inglis is playing behind a beaten forward pack, with halves who have no idea what they are doing and for a coach who seems to be completely unaware that he can make attacking plays that involve him. If he's still well and truly off during Origin, then we'll know.

Curns13

Juniors
I suppose the thing is we have to be realistic. If I was making an all Sydney team (rabbitohs and Roosters combine) out of tonights players, we would only have Inglis and Sam run on. Can't win game when you haven't got the cattle. Macguire certainly isn't helping though.

Curns13

Juniors
Inglis is playing behind a beaten forward pack, with halves who have no idea what they are doing and for a coach who seems to be completely unaware that he can make attacking plays that involve him. If he's still well and truly off during Origin, then we'll know.

Cowboys and Broncos will put 50 or 60 on us in the coming weeks playing at that standard.

I'm going to the Broncos game and am very worried its gonna be a blood bath.