What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vs Knights Barlow Park,Cairns Sunday

alien

Referee
this is the type of game souths need to win to prove they belong in the top 4

southsport

First Grade
Wackos Whispers ‏@wackoswhispers 3h
Valentine Holmes, Bureta Faraimo, Chris Grevsmuhl & Vincent Leuluai all set to make @nrl debuts this round

Rabbits20

Immortal
Api Koroisau played for Norths today so it seems Madge is going with 4 forwards on the bench.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Just seen the final team and I think Turner will play the 80 minutes with Lowe and Picker starting in the back row as well. I probably would have preferred Clark at lock and it's a shame there is no Grevshmul on the bench would have liked to see how he went.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Well what an exciting game, everyone played great. Good to see Keary getting the ball to our backs and giving them good opportunities to show what they can do. Also Keary was throwing short balls to McQueen and running a bit himself which he will only get better at and take on the line more. Great game from Adam as well his control was excellent. McQueen came in and played superb he had great energy.

All of our play the last few weeks has come from our 90 percent completion rates which we need to keep consistent at in the coming weeks. Also our kicking game was good especially Reynolds and Keary's bombs which had depth on them as well and gave us good field position.

Great game,great to see the ball moving through the backs and see our confidence start to rise back up again.Great times ahead with the continued emergence of Walker,backed up with AJ and Avu this season.

Rabbits Rack Up 50 Against Knights

Words: Tom Skolarikis I Photos: Col Whelan - Nrlphotos.com
Sun 3rd August, 04:44PM A A http://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/_jcr_content/par/newslist_95ce.rss

1407048335738.jpg

The South Sydney Rabbitohs have accounted for the Newcastle Knights by 50-10 in Cairns this afternoon (Sunday) in round 21 of the NRL.
An Alex Johnston hat-trick, a Kirisome Auva’a double and another brilliant four-pointer from Dylan Walker – reminiscent of his 2013 Cairns effort – were among a number of highlights played out in the humid conditions in tropical North Queensland.
Both sides enjoyed opportunities on their own try-line inside the first 10 minutes of play, but neither team was able to crack the defence.
But leave it to hooker Issac Luke to spark the Rabbitohs into action – the number nine making easy metres up the middle before being brought down 15 metres out. From the ensuing set, a backline movement sent Kirisome Auva’a over in the corner to open the scoring. Adam Reynolds failed to convert leaving the score at 4-0.
Luke was at it again half-way through the opening stanza when he opted to attack the Knights short-side inside the 20 metre line. Luke danced through the staggered Newcastle defence before passing on to Lote Tuqiri who powered over for South Sydney’s second to make it 8-0.
Thomas Burgess then got his name on the score-card with a barn-storming run from close-range before reaching out his arm to score his first four-pointer. Reynolds converted from right in front to bring the score to 14-0 in the Rabbitohs’ favour.
Cairns then began to build a reputation for producing brilliant four-pointers, with a Dylan Walker try reminiscent of 2013’s try of the year being scored. Adam Reynolds’ unsuccessful chip for himself on the 30 metre line was cleaned up in uncharacteristic fashion by the returning Chris McQueen, who crossed the ball with his left foot out to Walker who scored in fine fashion. Reynolds added the extras to bring the score to 20-0.
The Rabbitohs built even more momentum when Adam Reynolds kicked a booming forty-twenty. But despite the referees needing to check the effort, the Rabbitohs still managed to take full advantage when birthday boy McQueen attacked the Knights line before reaching his arm out to score. Reynolds converted to take the Rabbitohs to the sheds leading 26-0.
The second stanza didn’t start well for the Knights when they gave away a penalty on just the second tackle. The Rabbitohs wasted no time in making Newcastle pay for the error when newly anointed skipper Greg Inglis streaked over thanks to some well-timed passing from Luke Keary and Jason Clark. Reynolds added the extras from out wide to make it 32-0.
But a Rabbitohs mistake would change the tide momentarily, leading to Knights winger Jake Mamo getting Newcastle’s first points of the afternoon before Adam Clydsdale got the side’s second just minutes later on the back of the Rabbitohs' kick-off going out on the full.
The two quick Knights tries woke up the Rabbitohs, and it was prolific try-scorer Alex Johnston who finished off a backline movement to cross the stripe before bettering the position to touch down to make it 36-10.
With 19 minutes in the match remaining and the Knights attacking the Rabbitohs line, a wayward pass was picked up by Kirisome Auva’a who then passed on to an electric Alex Johnston. Johnston’s pace outgunned the whole of the Knights team – the young gun picking up his second of the afternoon. Reynolds converted to make it 42-10.
Johnston then picked up his third of the afternoon when he again finished off a Rabbitohs backline movement that sent him over the stripe in the far corner. Reynolds’ conversion attempt hit the upright, leaving the score at 46-10.
The Rabbitohs then racked up the half-century when Dylan Walker broke through the Newcastle defence before kicking ahead from the 40 metre line for Auva’a to grab his second, making it 50-10 with four minutes left.

Rabbitohs 50 (Kirisome Auva’a 2, Lote Tuqiri, Thomas Burgess, Dylan Walker, Chris McQueen, Greg Inglis, Alex Johnston 3, tries; Adam Reynolds 5 goals)
Defeated
Knights 10 (Jake Mamo, Adam Clydsdale, tries; Kurt Gidley 1 goals)

http://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2014/08/03/rabbits_rack_up_50_against_knights.html

Rabbits20

Immortal
Great game,great to see the ball moving through the backs and see our confidence start to rise back up again.Great times ahead with the continued emergence of Walker,backed up with AJ and Avu this season.

Yeah I'm sure we can build on this in the coming weeks. AJ Walker and Auva'a are adding what we didn't have out wide the last couple of years. Our halves can throw the ball out wide and now have more trust in the backs and what they can do with their speed, footwork and creativity. Our backs are now threatening not just in the forwards.

South Sydney Rabbitohs hammer Newcastle Knights in Cairns

Newcastle Knights South Sydney Rabbitohs League News League Match Report
Robert Dillon

Sports Writer, Newcastle Newspapers

South Sydney 50 Newcastle 10
1407049811108.jpg-620x349.jpg
Rub it in: Chris McQueen scores for the Rabbitohs against the Knights. Photo: Getty Images

Master coach Wayne Bennett suffered his heaviest defeat in three seasons at the Knights when South Sydney hammered hapless Newcastle 50-10 in Cairns.
Newcastle crashed back to earth with a resounding thud at Barlow Park after last week's inspired 16-12 win against premiers the Roosters.
The result left Newcastle 14th on the ladder, four wins adrift of the top eight with five games remaining and no chance of making the finals.
Souths climbed to outright second and improved their for-and-against record, already the best in the competition.
For Bennett, who is leaving at the end of the season to re-join Brisbane, it was his heaviest defeat since joining the Knights at the start of 2012.
His previous biggest loss with Newcastle was a 32-0 whitewash against Manly last year. The only other time his Knights had conceded a half-century was in their 50-24 drubbing by the Broncos in 2012.
After an early arm-wrestle, Souths started to make inroads through size and power and racked up a commanding 26-0 lead by half-time.
Centre Kirisome Auva'a scored the opening try on the 13th minute, followed seven minutes later by a Lote Tuqiri four-pointer on the opposite flank.
Hanging in at 8-0, the Knights were dealt a body blow in the 28th minute when giant forward Thomas Burgess crashed through the middle and stretched out to score.
Without consulting his video officials, referee Adam Devcich awarded the try even though replays indicated Burgess may have fumbled before grounding the ball.
Halfback Adam Reynolds converted from in front to leave the Knights facing a 14-0 deficit.
Further tries by centre Dylan Walker and Queensland star Chris McQueen left Newcastle in need of a second-half miracle against the NRL's best defensive team, who had beaten them convincingly in their three previous encounters.
The second half opened in similar fashion when Souths skipper Greg Inglis scored two minutes after the resumption and a cricket score loomed large.
The Knights hit back with tries by youngsters Jake Mamo and Adam Clydesdale to temporarily stem the one-way traffic.
Normal service resumed soon, afterwards, however, with flying Souths winger Alex Johnston picking up a hat-trick of tries in the space of 17 minutes, to give 14 tries in 10 games, then Auva'a snared his second.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...s-in-cairns-20140803-zzzp1.html#ixzz39K2OeUJo

rabbitohs95

Bench
GREAT result considering we were missing 3 of our enforcers in Te'o, Sam and Sutton

Few things that i pointed out;

1. Adam Reynolds' goal kicking needs work, could be due to a lower leg/groin injury though. HOWEVER his general kicking the last few weeks has been great and he has hit a bit of form. Good 40/20 today.

2. Luke Keary and Reyno are the ideal halves pairing and really compliment each other, moreso than Sutton and Reyno imo. Keary really took control on the left working with McQueen, AJ and Auva'a. It'll be interesting to see where Sutto fits in when he returns from injury.

3. Our backs are finally coming together. Walker, Auva'a and AJ all killed it today, great expansive running and explosiveness. Lote was great under the highball and it's a tussle up between him and Goodwin next week, although i think i'd prefer Goodwin just to be safe. These young backs could be the edge we need to get prem #21.

4. The forwards, especially Issac, George, Tom and McQueen really stepped up in the absence of the aforementioned players. They took the ball up, held onto it (fantastic completion rate)

5. Completion rate was amazing! Can't remember the last time we had one like that, 100% at halftime and the scoreline showed. If we keep this up we will be really hard to beat

6. Glad GI got the captaincy; thoroughly deserved it and i like to think some of his work helped us get 10 tries on them. He's a natural leader and i think when Sutto retires if we retain Greg he'll become captain. He had a good game without being amazing but i mean everyone played well today

doyen

Bench
GREAT result considering we were missing 3 of our enforcers in Te'o, Sam and Sutton

1. Adam Reynolds' goal kicking needs work, could be due to a lower leg/groin injury though. HOWEVER his general kicking the last few weeks has been great and he has hit a bit of form. Good 40/20 today.

2. Luke Keary and Reyno are the ideal halves pairing and really compliment each other, moreso than Sutton and Reyno imo. Keary really took control on the left working with McQueen, AJ and Auva'a. It'll be interesting to see where Sutto fits in when he returns from injury.

3. Our backs are finally coming together. Walker, Auva'a and AJ all killed it today, great expansive running and explosiveness. Lote was great under the highball and it's a tussle up between him and Goodwin next week, although i think i'd prefer Goodwin just to be safe. These young backs could be the edge we need to get prem #21.

4. The forwards, especially Issac, George, Tom and McQueen really stepped up in the absence of the aforementioned players. They took the ball up, held onto it (fantastic completion rate)

5. Completion rate was amazing! Can't remember the last time we had one like that, 100% at halftime and the scoreline showed. If we keep this up we will be really hard to beat

6. Glad GI got the captaincy; thoroughly deserved it and i like to think some of his work helped us get 10 tries on them. He's a natural leader and i think when Sutto retires if we retain Greg he'll become captain. He had a good game without being amazing but i mean everyone played well today
Keary's the difference now.JS should never return to 5/8.
I now think we have a genuine chance to win this p/ship.
What is JS's future??
I'd like our starting pack to be--
Sam B[prop] Luke;George B;Teo;McQueen;Sutton.

southsport

First Grade
Keary's the difference now.JS should never return to 5/8.
I now think we have a genuine chance to win this p/ship.
What is JS's future??
I'd like our starting pack to be--
Sam B[prop] Luke;George B;Teo;McQueen;Sutton.

doyen, it seems that Reynolds game has lifted since he has been alongside Keary too. His goal-kicking is a bit of a worry though.

The Chello

Juniors

Spot on.
Reynolds' kicking has been off slightly but it didn't look like ideal kicking conditions yesterday.
Reynolds and Keary seem to work well. Keary is a livewire, tough bugger, and takes the ball to the line which is something we have been lacking.
Young guys continue to improve.
Knights were enthusiastic at the start and thought we were in for a slog, however, the no errors, physical nature of our game eventually wore them down. Most sides would have been under the pump under that sustained pressure. Thought the 3 guys at the back did really well.
Couple of dud decisions, Tom definitely dropped the ball and thought Clydesdale did as well but they evened it up.
Luke is playing well, he's a vital cog in our go forward play. The last tackle kicking options were good. This week the high ball was a good option with the swirling conditions and liked the kicking in general too.
Not getting carried away but you cannot help but be pleased with the form of the younger players and the team's overall enthusiasm and harmony. The real litmus test is this week against an inform Manly side who know how to apply pressure. We've struggled to find an answer to their style of play in recent seasons, it will be good to see how we measure up against them at the SCG. Sam back will be a boost. Te'O has gone a bit crazy lately in the way he's been playing. It will be interesting where they fit McQueen in the side. Not a big fan of Lowe but he doesn't deserve to be dropped after his recent form. Maybe Clark will be the one to go.

doyen

Bench
doyen, it seems that Reynolds game has lifted since he has been alongside Keary too. His goal-kicking is a bit of a worry though.

Reynold's g/kicking is off--very much off!!.Don't get it though--he's the best kicker in the comp!!
He has had Keary breathing down his neck for the half-back spot so maybe there's a bit of psychology happening---subconsciously putting him off.He now has his main rival as his partner.Maybe the pressure is coming out in his kicking.

Sths have been very fluent in their backline play over the past 2 wks & notably without JS & Sam.
I do believe that sides can become too reliant on their "stars".
Give good young players a free rein without the "burden"[if I can put it that way]of thinking you have to play towards the "big names" can work in the team's overall favour.
The SWANS have that problem when Franklin & Tippett are together on the field & the rest of the team,especially the young players, feeling that they must kick/play to the STAR!!
We all know what great & valuable players Sam & JS are but I think we have played our best footy for a long time without them against the Knights & Canberra.

Latest posts