What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vs Manly

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
We concede precious few tries down Manu's side compared to what we concede down Billy "does he actually play?" Poopoo's side.

Benek

Juniors
Yay, we will be forever in the record books as the biggest lead losers of all time. You've earned it boys. Great performances. I love the feeling I have after watching Warriors games.

Micistm

Bench
There's probably 5-6 games where you could argue that point, but the problem is that when we get comfortable we simply stop playing. The opposition then start picking us off and working their way back into it.

Yep, which means we aren't the better side. The game has a duration time, and we don't have more points at the end.

Rich102

Staff member
The New Zealand Warriors left Western Australia for must-win territory today after experiencing another grim loss to NRL premiers Manly, a defeat that saw star centre Konrad Hurrell allegedly targeted by foul play.
Warriors head coach Brian McClennan claimed the NRL rookie's ankle was deliberately stomped on by Kangaroos and NSW second rower Tony Williams, who has already served a seven-game suspension for a dangerous throw on Newcastle's Isaac de Gois in March.
One of Manly's most damaging forwards, "T Rex" might be in more strife with the NRL judiciary when the match review panel appraise a contest won 24-22 by the Sea Eagles after they clawed back from a 22-6 deficit with 25 minutes remaining at Perth's Paterson Stadium last night.
"He (Hurrell) got stamped on by Tony Williams," said McClennan as he reflected on a loss where the damage was also self-inflicted.
"Obviously the review committee will have a look at that."
Williams's second row teammate and fellow State of Origin and Australian representative Anthony Watmough could also be in bother after appearing to wrench Kevin Locke's arm as the fullback was tackled - a "chicken wing" style offence the judiciary clamped down on last week when Penrith's Travis Burns was banned for three games.
Watmough was penalised by referee Alan Shortall but the match officials took no action against Williams when Hurrell - the Warriors top try-scorer - limped off in the 15th minute.
He was able to return in the second half but his mobility was clearly affected and Manly targeted his edge as they completed a stirring recovery when Jamie Lyon converted Daly Cherry-Evans' second try with two minutes to play.
Manly coach Geoff Toovey had no comment on McClennan's claim and thought the contest between last year's grand finalists was "pretty passive."
"There were a couple of penalties either way, I'm not too concerned." he said after Manly improved a spot to sixth by ending a two-match losing streak with their sixth straight triumph against the New Zealanders.
His counterpart McClennan has more to worry about than Williams' alleged rough treatment of one of his star players.
For a second successive game the Warriors have let a big lead slip after halftime.
Newcastle scored 24 unanswered points at Mt Smart after trailing 19-0 while the Sea Eagles soared after facing an 18-0 deficit a minute from halftime and 22-6 shortfall five minutes after the resumption.
"It's pretty heart breaking," said McClennan.​

"We completed enough sets and defended better and for longer periods but at the end of the day I think it was just looking at that scoreboard, seeing we're ahead and protecting that lead too much.
"We didn't throw enough at them when we had the ball to tire them out. They were definitely the attacking team in the last quarter."
He would not use the long flight to Perth and Friday's late arrival as an excuse.
"That was nothing to do with travel, Manly had to travel across as well," he said, although his opponents arrived in Perth on Wednesday.
Other than Hurrell's ongoing issues with his ankle, and absent captain Simon Mannering's more recent leg problem, McClennan's biggest concern is the psychological damage caused by two avoidable defeats.
"We've made our path a bit harder but it's our doing," he said.
"All we can do is get ready for Cronulla (in Auckland on Sunday)."
The Warriors are 12th with five rounds of the regular season remaining and although they have a positive points differential and are just two points outside the top eight, back-to-back meltdowns means another finals campaign cannot be taken for granted.
So far the Warriors have not won more than two games on the trot in 2012 so the task is ominous with McClennan conceding: "We think we'll need five."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/7372374/Warriors-cry-foul-after-loss-to-Manly

Izz

Bench
I think Watmough might be in trouble. His arm wrench looked pretty bad. I think BluesClues is just blowing smoke about Williams. Personally, i didn't see anything deliberately malicious in that tackle on Hurrell.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
At the club I left the room at 22-18 with Manly moving down the left. I must have turned away at the exact moment they kicked through and scored.

Returned to see the Eagles all over each other and 22-22 with an easy kick. We deserved to win and were the better side.

This whole season was/is a nightmare. Nice finding this forum though, I can share the misery.

I disagree we deserved to win. Teams who play 80 minutes deserve to win. We consistently don't. We were the better side perhaps for more minutes of the game than Manly were, but they produced when it counted.

hitman82

Bench
Tupou had a terrible game, but I can't help pointing out Maloney's 11 missed tackles, or our fullback who had 3 tries scored directly off his missed tackles. Locke ended up making 7 and missing 5. That flank was always going to be targeted with Mannering not there to hold the defense together.

I didn't notice the T-rex incident, but I did notice him pulling on Hurrell's injured ankle as soon as he came back on, which I thought was disgraceful.

The alleged chicken wing looked bad for a moment, as you could clearly see Watmough getting it into a lock - but he released the pressure and didn't actually go through with it properly.

Ikahihifo looks like a VERY promising player - a good replacement for Brown perhaps.

Martel played nearly the entire game, which was great to see. But our prop rotation was still strange at best...

Vatuvei had a fantastic game - probably his best of the season. I was impressed and really thought he took on the captain's role in leading by example. It's a pity the players around him couldn't put in the same effort for 80 minutes.

vvvrulz

Coach
I disagree we deserved to win. Teams who play 80 minutes deserve to win. We consistently don't. We were the better side perhaps for more minutes of the game than Manly were, but they produced when it counted.

We're always good enough to win, but we never deserve it.
Can't think of a stranger season than this one.

Evil_Mush

Juniors
I agree on Manu putting on a great performance (apart from his obligatory coming in off the wing to concede a try), having the captaincy didn't seem to distract him, perhaps even pumped him up. Although I don't recall him talking to the ref once and didn't get a post-match interview either so that's a shame (was looking forward to that!).

No idea of the exact cause of these second half fades and how to address them, if we get out to 18-0 against the Sharks this weekend I'm going to be vewy vewy nervous!!!!

Warriorz

Juniors
Ikahihifo looks like a VERY promising player - a good replacement for Brown perhaps.

Martel played nearly the entire game, which was great to see. But our prop rotation was still strange at best...

The genius Bluey had both Ikahihifo and Matulino on the bench in last 5 - 10mins...both would have made a difference imo.

Latest posts