What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vs Penrith,Centrebet Stadium Friday 7.40pm.

GI Cordial

Juniors
Watching the second half Gould was speechless did not say much during the telecast. Boys played great considering the conditions, Those young kids coming through are really hungry for a spot and playing Fantastic very impressed.

souths_pride

Juniors
Terrible hands again tonight. At least, in the first half anyway. Great defence though. Very happy with that win though. They absorbed a heap of pressure and just remained patient. Then, when our turn came, we took our opportunities.

Very impressed with Auva'a. Runs hard, hits hard. Reminds me a bit of Steve Matai. Made a couple of poor decisions but he made some really good ones as well. His try was a cracker. Very well executed gap run.

I think Reddy and Champion have just been relegated to 3rd and 4th choice centres.

I didnt think our handling was that bad considering the atrocious conditions the game was played in! Defence wins football games and that was one of the finest defensive performance from any team in recent memory! To only miss 7 tackles out of 329 is incredible!! Kyle Turner also looks a really decent player too!! I agree with what you say about Auva'a...could well turn out to be a second rower in a few years time!

souths_pride

Juniors
Watching the second half Gould was speechless did not say much during the telecast. Boys played great considering the conditions, Those young kids coming through are really hungry for a spot and playing Fantastic very impressed.
Yeah ive always noticed that Gould isnt at harsh on Penrith as he is on other teams when they lose! To be honest I cant believe he is allowed to commentate on Penrith games! Surely to god its a conflict of interests?

BunniesMan

Immortal
Our defending broke some records. That's the sort of stuff that takes you deep into September (and hopefully October).

Julie Burgess accuses Penrith Panthers fan of hitting son Sam Burgess with stick

South Sydney Rabbitohs Penrith Panthers League News
Date April 12, 2014 - 10:42AM Michael Chammas

Rugby league reporter

Michael Maguire described it as the best defensive effort he's seen in his three seasons at the club, but it could do little to take away from Nathan Merritt's attacking feats, finally becoming the club's most prolific tryscorer.
The victory was slightly soured after the match when Sam Burgess was struck in the head by a female Penrith supporter's flag, with South Sydney later complaining to the Penrith ground manager.
Sam Burgess on the rampage on Friday night. Photo: Getty Images
Burgess' mother Julie Burgess then took aim at the perpetrator on Twitter, posting "Would love to meet the woman (I'm being kind) who hit Sam with a stick as he was leaving the pitch. Sorry Penrith people but that's not OK."
Advertisement
Burgess played down the alleged attack when he spoke on Sydney radio station Triple M on Saturday morning.
"I don't want to make a big deal of the incident," he said. "I think Penrith and the NRL will be sorting through that one. I'm alright mate, I'm not injured."
Sam Burgess congratulates Nathan Merritt after the winger scored his 145th try in South Sydney colours, breaking Benny Wearing's club record. Photo: Getty Images

The English international alleged the woman used her supporter's flag to hit him on the head as he walked from the field.
"I think she got a little bit excited and took her little flag to me," he laughed. "She got me on my melon - I've got a big melon so it's not hard to miss. "
"She didn't miss."
On a night that Merritt broke a five-game drought to register his 145th try for the Rabbitohs, Burgess' teammates produced one of the most resilient defensive performances in recent memory to knock over Penrith 18-2 at Sportingbet Stadium.
They were forced to defend their line for the majority of the first half and large portions of the second half, however Penrith's only points came through a Jamie Soward penalty goal.
Having slumped to three consecutive losses after their round one win against the Rooster, the Rabbitohs showed a change of attitude to topple the Dragons at the Sydney Cricket Ground last Saturday, replicating their feats on a wet night at the foot of the mountains.
"I haven't [seen better]," Maguire said of his team's defensive effort.
"I'm really proud of the players. Through a period a couple of weeks ago we probably weren't at our standard and the boys really put their heads down and spoke about their defence. Over the last two weeks they've had massive improvement and it definitely showed there tonight the way they performed in defence.
"The boys spoke about it through the week, they just wanted to stick tight together, and as they've shown the last few weeks. I'm really pleased with how the players have really come together and gone through that period that we didn't like but learnt a lot from. They've come out now and worked really hard for each other. That first half defensive effort was excellent."
The Rabbitohs missed only six tackles throughout the match, their first coming after an hour of football.
Their efforts didn't go unnoticed by the coach, who was aware of what had just unfolded when he fronted for the post match press conference.
"I heard that stat," Maguire said. "I don't think we had a missed tackle up until the 60th minute or something like that. As a coach I was pretty proud of that one. That's the hard work the players are willing to put in for each other.
"The energy they showed right through that game - we didn't get our way in the first half when we had the ball - but they came together on many occasions and committed to each other and defended really well."
Merritt became South Sydney's most prolific tryscorer, notching up try No.145 for the Rabbitohs in the second half to break a five-game drought to surpass Benny Wearing's previous club record.
"It's a great feeling at the moment," Merritt said.
"It's great to get the reward now. I've waited a good two months I think it is to score a try. I was patiently waiting ... It was just a great buzz having all the boys run over and jump all over me, it was an awesome feeling. We're just one bunch of boys and I wouldn't be able to score any tries without them being there.
"It was a bit frustrating at times, but the harder I tried to score a try the less [likely] I was going to score a try. The more I relaxed ... I got a try tonight because I relaxed and the try came to me."

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...-with-stick-20140411-zqtsf.html#ixzz2ydOHe3z3

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...on-sam-burgess-with-stick-20140411-zqtsf.html

Zigwaa

Bench
Didn't get to see the game but heard great things about our defence. Good win by the boys. Hopfully we can take that momentum into the dogs game on Friday

Mystery over punishment handed to Penrith fan who allegedly attacked Sam Burgess

• News Limited Network
  • April 16, 2014 3:38PM

THE Panthers have refused to reveal the punishment handed down to a fan who allegedly attacked Sam Burgess with a flag.
Penrith on Wednesday finalised their investigation into the post-match incident involving a Panthers fan and the South Sydney superstar following the Rabbitohs’ 18-2 victory at Sportingbet Stadium on Friday night
The fan came forward after the match, but the Panthers on Wednesday would not reveal what punishment was handed out, apart from saying “appropriate action” had been taken.
Sam Burgess on Friday against Penrith. Source: Getty Images
“The club has spoken to several people who may have witnessed the alleged altercation, and has reviewed camera footage from the night,” Penrith said in a statement today.
“The fan has unreservedly apologised for causing any harm to the NRL and the Panthers.
“They have also offered an apology to Sam and the South Sydney club.
“Appropriate action has been taken against the fan, and Panthers, Souths and the NRL are satisfied that the matter has now been resolved.”
“Panthers will not be making any further comment.”
While Burgess was seemingly happy to distance himself from the drama over the weekend, his family were enraged.
“What happened last night with the incident with the woman and my brother Sammy was like something I’ve never seen in my time over here,” brother Luke said.
“From what I hear, she was definitely trying to intentionally hit him with the flag stick.
“He was fine. He was just a bit surprised that she’d do that, especially an adult.
“It’s poor form and it’s definitely a shame, but I’m sure we won’t see anything like that again for a long time.”
Mother Julie Burgess Tweeted: “Would love to meet the woman (I’m being kind) who hit Sam with a stick as he was leaving the pitch. Sorry Penrith people but that’s not OK.”

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...lic_rss&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Last edited:

Latest posts