What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

vs Sharks rd 21

the rebel

Juniors
I though the played a little too conservatively for the first 65 minutes. When the Warriors started throwing the ball around they caused the Sharks big forwards a lot of problems. I think trying to grind out a win played into the Sharks hands. I wish Shaun Johnson would take on the line more. He started to carve up later in the match once he started to run the ball. Also, I think a hooker utility on the bench such as a Godinet would have been valuable today.

vvvrulz

Coach
Peculiar game, we played like a team who were completely self aware they were sleep walking through a game they should be winning easily. We were only four points short, if we turned up for the full 80 we would have thrashed them.

If we have a weakness, its that we really too much on the magic play to get our points. We are pretty clueless when we are 5 metres from their line and our last tackle plays are awful.

We can't afford any more fail performances like that.

In our recent wins we have had at least one run away/magic play that wins us the game, it just wasn't there today.
Not refs fault we lost, to much drop ball, but man I hate when its not consistent.

Last edited:
Some interesting stats:
Gallen 186m, Fifita 182m, Lillyman 146m, Gibbs 123m, Matulino 120m, Tagataese 107m.

Errors: Johnson 4, Wright 3, Carney 2, Locke 2, Vatuvei 2.

Things I don't understand:
Why TL being used to put up bombs?
Why Manu pushing player instead of jumping?
Why we had no structure in the opposition 20m?
Why Hurrell wasn't up with the play?
Why we where not supporting each other today?
How refs and touches miss howler of forward passes?

vvvrulz

Coach
Things I don't understand:

Why TL being used to put up bombs?
This seriously needs to stop, we're better off grubbering into the in goal and going for the repeat set

Why Manu pushing player instead of jumping?
Manu was due for a Manu fail moment, lets hope its the last

Why we had no structure in the opposition 20m?
This worries me, we don't seem to be able to score 'ugly' tries from near the line
Why Hurrell wasn't up with the play?

Exerted too much in the last 10, was totally out of puff. He is not a winger.

Also weird, we have great line busters in TL, Johnson and Mateo... for goodness sake follow them! This is something we did really well in 07

I thought the refs went ok given the usual rubbish every week. But yes some of those passes were shocking

Rich102

Staff member
We ran into a Sharks team who were prepared to give everything to win. The difference at the end, two missed conversions, didn't reflect the difference in the efforts.
Two of our strike players didn't turn up to play. Go figure.

Penrose11

Juniors
I know we expect alot of Mateo and rightly so IMO. It seems like he's trying to go gangbusters for thosr 1st 20mins knowing he's coming off and can at times over play his hand. When Lowrie comes on n thrres him n Taylor n back row we look pretty small. They are to similar in style for my liking. I don't think either really bust a tackle between them. I still don't thinl Elliott has his interchange sorted yet. Maybe Mateo should start off the bench with Lowrie starting.

I know this is going over broken ground but a good coach knows how to mix things up at the right time n not just let things cruise along. Im a big Sam Lousi fan n would love to see him n the mix. He seemed to carve up at times for the Vulcans on the weekend.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Rusty back v the big Manly pack. Also Hurrell made a few D blues as well in I can see Matai n Horo both licking their lips at the prospect of lining up of hjs defense side. Like Melbourne, Manly have great set plays n will have been doing their homework.

Dav0c

Juniors
Should attacking players be penalised for holding the defender in the tackle trying to milk a penalty?

Also weird, we have great line busters in TL, Johnson and Mateo... for goodness sake follow them! This is something we did really well in 07

This annoyed me the most on the day, you could see Matulino looking at times when he spin in the tackle and no one there, also when Lowrie made a break it was all sharks players around (OK so he doesn't make many)

I thought the refs went ok given the usual rubbish every week. But yes some of those passes were shocking

I didnt think they decided game, but annoyed at a couple of double standard, Mateo done for leg pull, saw a shark do a leg pull while turning player and nothing done, Gallen sell vs Friends etc.
Not a big union watcher, but their video ref rules on forward passes.
I think maybe some kinda laser line or something that can be used on replays? As by watching the highlights of the game Stapleton's try, projecting a ruler along the screen Fafita had one foot in front and one behind the ball coming off Robson's foot. This could also help with forward passes.
Probably to complex.

Latest posts