What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vs St George/Illawarra,Sydney Cricket Ground - Sat 18th July

Stewart Readying for Traditional Battle

Words & Video: Tom Skolarikis & Guy Bevan
Wed 8th July, 04:57PM
A A

Rabbitohs forward, Glenn Stewart, is fast-learning that tradition and rivalry runs deep at the Club as he and his side prepare to take on the St George Illawarra Dragons at the Sydney Cricket Ground in Round 19.
“We’ve got history with everyone here I’m finding out,” smiled Stewart.
“At the start of the year it was the Roosters and I sat back and watched that just on TV (afterwards) and loved that – I missed the last game against the Dragons, so I’ll be looking to get into that tradition as well.”
For Stewart, the Saturday evening clash will be his first game to his recollection on the hallowed SCG turf after being 18th man there once before.
“I think I was 18th man there once but never actually played there,” said Stewart.
“Obviously a lot of tradition there and it’ll be a game that the boys are definitely up for. “
After enduring an extended period on the side-line owing to a broken thumb, Stewart recently made his long-awaited return and is now looking to build on his performance.
“Personally just fitting in and doing my own role a bit stronger in the team,” said Stewart when asked what he will be working on.
“I’ve only been back one week – I just want to be stronger in my part and what I can do for the team - whatever job Madge has got for me.”
With their last bye of the season this week, Stewart and his teammates are taking the opportunity to freshen up ahead of the final rounds of the regular season.
“This time of year in general is just good for a ‘freshen up’,” said Stewart.
“Obviously it’ll be good when the Origin is finished and we just really narrow our focus from week to week and get that run in.”
To watch the full interview, please press play on the video player.

http://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2015/07/08/stewart_readying_for.html

Rabbits20

Immortal
GI is in great form after tonight.

GI will hopefully have a great game against Dragons as well.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Merrin won't be playing for them now which is a big loss for them due to judiciary charge.

alien

Referee
GI is in great form after tonight.

GI will hopefully have a great game against Dragons as well.

GI was awesome tonight. hopefully he plays that well for the rest of the year!'

remember what i said around a month ago??? i said he was saving his best for the 2nd half of the year :)

Rabbits20

Immortal

remember what i said around a month ago??? i said he was saving his best for the 2nd half of the year :)

Yeah I remember that:)

The merkins couldn't handle the statement:lol:

The fools know that GI in top form is very very hard to stop even though they just can't bring themselves to admit it.

doyen

Bench

GI has a history of shining on the big stage.He looked ominous for Qld last night.

He will be building up for something special from now on in!!

Good luck other teams--you'll need it!

Rabbits20

Immortal
Dugan and apparently Benji will miss the match against Sharks tomorrow.

But they will both be back to play us and a couple more of their players returning next week too I think.

The Dragons will be up and ready to play us for the full 80 and look to get a strong start.

Souths must match them for the full 80:)

No doubt Souths have it in them but we must see a polished and clinical performance.

Celebrating the 1965 Grand Final

Words: Tom Skolarikis
Mon 13th July, 09:53AM
A A http://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/_jcr_content/par/newslist_95ce.rss

1436745334369.jpg

As the Rabbitohs and Dragons prepare to do battle at the Sydney Cricket Ground this Saturday, we celebrate 50 years since what is widely regarded as one of the game’s most significant Grand Finals between the two Clubs – the 1965 decider.
The game may have been won by St George by 12-8, but the legacy of that game, played on 18 September 1965 in front of a crowd quite literally hanging from the rafters has gone down in Australian Rugby League folklore.
The match would also prove a significant moment in Rabbitohs history – signalling the beginning of a new era for the Club.
On display that season and that day was the next crop of South Sydney super-stars – players who would take the Club to four Premierships in five years between 1967 and 1971 upon the instalment of limited-tackle football in ’67.
With now legends of the Club and the game such as John Sattler, Ron Coote, Bob McCarthy, Michael Cleary and Eric Simms all taking part in season ’65 in the red and green, there was no doubt even then that something special was brewing at Redfern, and the interest in the Grand Final between seasoned champions St George and the up and comers from Souths was justifiably high.

65_inset.jpg

Officially, the crowd was posted at a ground record 78,056, however, with overwhelming public interest in the match between the at the time nine-straight Premiership winning Dragons, and the brash young challengers from South Sydney, ticket supply was exhausted well in advance of kick-off, and the real crowd figure is estimated to be somewhere in the region of 90,000 – some double today’s official ground capacity.
If the unofficial estimate is true, the crowd would be the largest crowd that South Sydney has ever played in front of – eclipsing the 2014 Grand Final (83,833).
By 1pm, police ordered the SCG gates to be shut on the grounds of safety. But that didn’t stop thousands of Sydney-siders improvising solutions to their Grand Final dilemma.
Rugby League revellers intent on seeing the Rabbitohs take on the might and experience of the Dragons scaled walls, climbed grandstands, positioned themselves on the playing surface – mere metres from play – in an attempt to watch the final game of the season.
Gate takings for the match came in at £15,000 – a record for Rugby League at the time.
Stay tuned to Rabbitohs.com.au this week as we celebrate the historic 1965 Grand Final between the Rabbitohs and St George.
The Rabbitohs will take on the St George Illawarra Dragons at the SCG next Saturday night at 7:30pm. Click here to purchase your tickets.

http://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2015/07/13/celebrating_the_1965.html

Post Origin Period a Fresh Start - McQueen

Words: Tom Skolarikis I Photos: Sunny Brar
Mon 13th July, 12:41PM

1436755467500.jpg

With the 2015 State of Origin Series now complete, Rabbitohs forward Chris McQueen says that it’s a fresh start for him, his team and other Clubs affected by Origin.
While Rabbitohs Skipper Greg Inglis battled it out for Origin supremacy last week, the rest of the Rabbitohs squad enjoyed the bye – an fact that McQueen cites as an opportunity to get some minor niggling injuries right.
“I think it is a bit of a fresh start,” said McQueen.
“All the boys are back at their clubs now, and obviously luckily for us we’ve got all of our boys on the paddock – I don’t think we’re carrying too many injured boys now.
“It is a bit of a fresh start for us and our run to the end (of) the year. It’s obviously a long season. Everyone’s got some niggling injuries so it was a good opportunity to refresh.”

Among the positives, McQueen added that the Rabbitohs will be back to a full complement of players on the back of the potential return of Kyle Turner from a long-term neck injury – the Indigenous All Star looking to make a return through the NSW Cup.
“I think Kyle Turner was the last of the injured boys and I think he comes back this weekend I’d say probably through the Bears – with him back on the paddock, we’ve got a full team again,” said McQueen.
“He’s been great around training. He’s absolutely ripped in, he’s got his body right and he’s ready to go.”
The Rabbitohs will be taking on the St George Illawarra Dragons this Saturday night in a return to the hallowed turf of the Sydney Cricket Ground – a venue that has played host to countless important battles between the two Clubs including the famed 1965 Grand Final which celebrates its 50th anniversary this year.
“It’s obviously great playing at the SCG,” admitted McQueen.
“A lot of history at that ground so all the boys are really keen, really excited to get out there and play on Saturday night.”
The Rabbitohs will take on the St George Illawarra Dragons at the SCG next Saturday night at 7:30pm. Click here to purchase your tickets.

http://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2015/07/13/post_origin_period_a.html

Stewart: Simplicity is Key

Tue 14th July, 09:20AM

Rabbitohs forward, Glenn Stewart, is focussed on getting the little things in his game right as the Club prepares to take on St George Illawarra at the Sydney Cricket Ground this Saturday night.
Stewart was sidelined early on in the year with a broken thumb, robbing the representative forward of vital opportunity to gel with his teammates on-field.
But with a clean bill of health, Stewart isn’t looking to be over-exuberant and overplay his hand, but is rather looking to simplify his role for the betterment of the team.
“Because I’ve been out for a little while, at the moment I’ve really got to just go back to simplifying my role and nail it for the team,” said Stewart.
“The longer we start playing together, little combinations will start happening and we’re looking forward to that.”
Stewart told the Rugby League media this week that while his time on the sideline was frustrating, it was also an opportunity to get his body right leading into the back end of the season.
“I’m pretty good,” said Stewart,
“I was a little bit frustrated more than anything. The injury that I had was just time consuming with the ligament in the thumb – it needs to grow back.
“I did a lot more rehab on my leg injuries that I’d had the last couple of years and probably definitely feel better for that.”

http://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2015/07/14/stewart_simplicity_i.html

Rabbitohs ready for NRL finals run

Tue 14 Jul, 2015, 5:00am
By James MacSmith, AAP

Email
Print

image.ashx

Free of the injury curse that has plagued them for much of the NRL season, South Sydney believe they are finally set to find their groove in 2015 in their quest for back-to-back premierships.
The Rabbitohs started the season well but have struggled to recapture that form - yet still sit in equal fourth heading into Saturday's round 19 clash with St George IlIawarra at the SCG.
Adam Reynolds, John Sutton and Glenn Stewart are among those Rabbitohs to have spent extended periods on the sideline this season.
But with Kyle Turner set for a return from a spinal injury suffered in the pre-season All Stars clash Souths coach Michael Maguire has virtually a full complement of players to chose from with eight rounds to play.
Kirisome Auva'a remains suspended from the NRL due to his domestic violence conviction last year.
Stewart has played precious little football over his past two seasons with Manly and the Rabbitohs, and said he is raring to go after Souths enjoyed the bye last weekend.
Draw Widget - Round 19 - Dragons vs Rabbitohs
Rnd 19: Sat 18 Jul 2015, 7:30pm, Sydney Cricket Ground

#NRLDragonsSouths

"The byes have come at a good time for us," he said.
"We are looking forward to getting Greg Inglis back (from State of Origin) too and having him for the back end of the year,
"I was frustrated more than anything. The injury I had was just time-consuming with the ligament in the thumb (slow to heal).
"But the whole time I was able to do a lot more rehab on the leg injuries I have had the last couple of years and I feel better for that.
"Physically I feel fresh and mentally the time off has been great.
"There is a lot of self belief here and we are confident in the squad we do have."
Back-rower Chris McQueen said the Rabbitohs were on the way to recapturing their 2014 form.
"It has been disappointing for us that we haven't been able to find a groove whilst players have been away, but we have all our players back now and we will use that as an opportunity to get on a run towards the end of the year," McQueen said.
"I wouldn't say we peaked early but I think you can get caught in the trap of maybe thinking that you are going better than you are or maybe going away from the hard work that got you to where you were.
"That's sort of what happened to us."

http://www.nrl.com/rabbitohs-ready-for-nrl-finals-run/tabid/10874/newsid/87959/default.aspx

grandorient

Bench
Don't rape us too hard please guys..

Not sure if Friz and DeBellin playing; along with Merrin. We won't have the grunt to take it to you guys.

GO

Last edited:
Don't rape us too hard please guys..

Not sure if Friz and DeBellin playing; along with Merrin. We won't have the grunt to take it to you guys.

GO

It depends on the game plan you turn up with.

You are correct in that you don't have the grunt to beat us in the forwards but if the likes of Benji and Dugan decide to give the ball some air and move our pack around a bit then you're a chance.

Not having Merrin hurts your chances either way. We don't cope well with forwards who can offload and he is one of the best.

Not having Isaac Luke will hurt us. He generally carves your boys up.

It will be a real test for both teams.

How McCarthy Nearly Missed the 1965 Grand Final

Tue 14th July, 03:33PM
A A

Punctuality may be a virtue of the bored – but not on Grand Final Day. Just ask Rabbitohs legend Bob McCarthy, whose normally short commute to the Sydney Cricket Ground on Grand Final day 1965 was hindered by unprecedented interest in the match.
With a young, enthusiastic and talented Rabbitohs outfit bursting at the seams with future legends of the game set to take on the already legendary St George Dragons – then going in search of their 10th straight Premiership – Sydney was caught up in Grand Final fever the likes of which had never been seen before.
Story: Celebrating the 1965 Grand Final
The sight of thousands of Rugby League revellers scaling the SCG walls and grandstands for a chance to see the highly anticipated match is a sight that McCarthy will never forget – as much for its uniqueness as for its potential to have made him miss the match.
“I just lived at Redfern in those days,” said McCarthy.
“Normally getting to the Cricket Ground was about 20 minutes straight along Cleveland Street. I always used to leave about one o’clock.
“At 2:20 I started to panic – I got down to the Bat and Ball (Hotel) – we didn’t know what was going on at the Cricket Ground, we didn’t know about the traffic.
“I said to a copper ‘I’ve got to play’. He said park your car here –I took off and didn’t envisage what was going on until I got across ANZAC Parade and saw the crowd walking back.
“I fought my way through the crowd and at about twenty to three I got through. Bernie Purcell – our Coach – was just inside the gate and he was starting to panic a bit.
“This day there were 100,000 there – the official crowd went up to 78,000, but with all the people on the ground and all the people on all the rooves and the stairs at the Showground and the old clock there – it was pandemonium.
“I remember John O’Neil and Bobby Moses had tears in their eyes just prior to the game. I said what’s up? They said ‘I just can’t believe that people have come to watch us play footy’.”
To watch the full interview with Bob, please press play on the video player.

http://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2015/07/14/how_mccarthy_nearly_.html

Latest posts