What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vs St George/Illawarra,Sydney Cricket Ground - Sat 18th July

MERCH ALERT: 2015 Rabbitohs Heritage Jersey

Wed 15th July, 01:54PM
A A http://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/_jcr_content/par/newslist_95ce.rss

1436932537707.jpg

The 2015 Rabbitohs Heritage Jersey will be debuted this Saturday night when the St George Illawarra Dragons host the South Sydney Rabbitohs at the SCG as part of the Men of League Heritage Round.
Designed in the traditional Red and Green Hoops made famous by South Sydney, the 2015 jersey pays homage to The Pride of The League with the team lists of all 21 Premiership winning South Sydney Rabbitohs side’s printed on the Jersey.
2015 Men’s Rabbitohs Heritage Jersey (S to 3XL): Members price $125.96, Non-Members price $139.95
2015 Kids Rabbitohs Heritage Jersey (8 -14): Members price $98.96, Non-Members price $109.95
You can pick up your 2015 Heritage Jersey at the SCG on Saturday at the Rabbitohs merchandise van located on Driver Ave, or at the merchandise outlet located in the Victor Trumper Stand.
You can also purchase the jersey online through the Rabbitohs Online Megastore, or shop at the Official Rabbitohs Merchandise Store located at Level 4, 265 Chalmers St Redfern, open from 9am-5pm Monday-Friday and 11am-3pm on Saturday.
Remember, you must login to the Online Store to activate your 10% discount. The ‘Member Login’ button can be found in the navigation bar at the top of the site.

http://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2015/07/15/merch_alert_2015_rab.html

Inglis and Dugan eye SCG glory

Wed 15 Jul, 2015, 1:36pm
By Chris Kennedy, National Correspondent, NRL.com

Email
Print

image.ashx

Two proud clubs steeped in history; two clubs struggling a bit for form; two in-form superstar fullbacks and one revered sporting venue.
The most historic rugby league venue in the country, the Sydney Cricket Ground, will host the Rabbitohs and the Dragons on Saturday night and each side's respective State of Origin fullbacks are hoping the big stage can spark their sides back into form as the 2015 Telstra NRL Premiership enters the final third of the season.
Inglis and Dugan were on hand at the SCG on Wednesday morning to help launch the Round 19 Men of League Heritage Round clash, which will kick off right where they were standing at 7:30pm on Saturday night.
For Inglis, whose Bunnies memorably broke a 43-year premiership drought last year, the chance to go back-to-back and become the first club to do so since Brisbane in a unified competition in 1992-93 provides plenty of motivation and a chance to create a new slice of history.
For Dugan, battered and bruised after his side's five straight losses and his own defeat with NSW in Origin III at the hands of Inglis and the Maroons, there is no shortage of motivation to return to the winners' circle.
Disrupted somewhat by two byes, the Rabbitohs have just one win in the past five weeks themselves and Inglis said their current fifth-placed ladder position is not where they want to be.
"We're obviously sitting just outside the four. Even though we started really well to the season, like any other club form becomes an issue around Origin time then injuries start to hit clubs as well," Inglis said.
"We've just got to get back on track and just play the brand of footy that we enjoy playing and not go too far away from it.
"There's been a lot of swapping and changing this year compared to last year [and] injury as well. We've just got to find that right consistency and we're training really well. We've just got to transfer it to game day."
Draw Widget - Round 19 - Dragons vs Rabbitohs
Rnd 19: Sat 18 Jul 2015, 7:30pm, Sydney Cricket Ground
Dugan said the seventh-placed Dragons are looking to regain the confidence that, just six weeks ago, had them sitting atop the NRL ladder and boasting the best defence in the league (two mantles that have since been snatched by the Broncos and Roosters respectively).
"I think it's just about getting that confidence back in the boys and 'GI' said it, it's about that consistency," Dugan said.
"This time of year's always tough coming off the back of Origin, you've got injuries and that sort of thing. Going back-to-back for 16, 17 weeks is always tough.
"You do start to get injuries and you start missing players and for us that's been a big thing is just missing players, but again anyone that steps up is there to do a job and we just have to be able to do it. It's just about getting that confidence and consistency back."
As if his side needed any extra motivation, the chance to run out on the hallowed SCG pitch provided something extra.
"Games like this you don't worry about form, there's so much passion and pride in games like this, it's always something special and always a great game to be part of."
Despite the side rapidly slipping down the ladder and needing to win five of their last eight to guarantee a place in the finals, Dugan insisted it's not panic stations for the Red V just yet.
"We lost a couple of games at the start of the year and turned it around. It is just about getting our consistency and getting our players back and we have a few back this week and the rest will start coming back over the next couple of weeks too," he said.
"What we have to do is go out there and do the little things right and take the right attitude into the games.
"If we lose this weekend, we can start getting a little bit worried, but everyone is pretty excited about the game this weekend and I think everyone will turn up."
This weekend's match gives Inglis another chance to play on the ground where he famously lit up the 2008 Centenary Test with a remarkable pass from well over the dead ball line back in for Mark Gasnier to score a stunning try.
"I think I have said a few times before that was a fluke, it was just a reaction, you see players do that all the time now," Inglis said.
"I have been lucky enough to play here on a number of occasions and to keep coming back it is a great ground to be at, to be part of the Heritage Round with two clubs with such great history is great and it is going to be a cracker on Saturday night."

Email
Print

Recommended for you

http://www.nrl.com/inglis-and-dugan-eye-scg-glory/tabid/10874/newsid/88006/default.aspx

doyen

Bench
churchill only 13 tries from 157 games. i find that surprising

He would have set up 100s of tries!

He would have been a breath of fresh air at half or 5/8 in this time!

*****Article on Paul CARTER in this week's RLW.
Sths are preparing Carter to be added to the side in a few weeks to give our pack toughness & mongrel ala Greg BIRD who is his comparison.

Last edited:

alien

Referee
Sths are preparing Carter to added to the side in a few weeks to give our pack toughness & mongrel ala Greg BIRD who he is his comparison.

interesting. i wonder which position. maybe lock or on the interchange because i can't see madge moving sutton or glenn stewart

Honouring History a Special Feeling – Maguire

Words & Video: Tom Skolarikis & Guy Bevan
Thu 16th July, 09:35AM
A A

Rabbitohs Head Coach Michael Maguire and his team feel the significance of returning to the Sydney Cricket Ground – the site of so many Rabbitohs Premiership triumphs.
The Rabbitohs have a long history of playing at the famous ground, having played at the venue a total of 321 times, recording 185 wins, seven draws and 129 losses for a winning percentage of 58.72% - a host of Grand Finals among the matches.
“I think always going to the SCG is a special feeling,” said Maguire.
“A lot of history has been played on that field and we’re looking forward to getting back into our footy after our bye.
“There’s a lot of great people before us. To be able to coach at such a great Club with a lot of history and trying to add to that weekly is a special thing.
“To be able to do it at the SCG this weekend – we’re looking forward to it.”
Maguire told the Rugby League media this morning that Rabbitohs legends – many of whom played at the SCG during Souths’ Golden Era of the 60s and 70s – play a huge role in shaping the character of the Club.
“I speak to the old boys all the time actually – they’re a big part of our Club,” admitted Maguire.
“To watch those boys enjoy the journey of what we’re going through week in and week out – they know what it feels like, they’ve been there and they’ve got some great stories. The characters of this Club are a big part of what makes us.”
The Rabbitohs will take on the St George Illawarra Dragons at the SCG this Saturday night at 7:30pm. Click here to purchase your tickets.

http://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2015/07/16/honouring_history_a_.html

Rabbitohs & Dragons Meet at SCG Ahead of Round 19 Blockbuster

Wed 15th July, 05:04PM
A A

The Rabbitohs and Dragons joined 1965 Grand Final legends Bob McCarthy, Ron Coote and Billy Smith today at the SCG to launch the 2015 Men of League Heritage Round.
Related Stories
Story: How McCarthy Nearly Missed the 1965 Grand Final
Gallery: 1965 Grand Final Gallery
Story: Celebrating the 1965 Grand Final
Merch Alert: 2015 Rabbitohs Heritage Jersey
NRL announce $25 generation ticket offer for Men of League Heritage Round

The NRL today announced a special “generation pack” ticket offer ahead of the Men of League Heritage Round this weekend.

The ticket offer provides entry to any Telstra Premiership match across the Men of League Heritage Round for one adult and one child for $25.

NRL Head of Marketing Lewis Pullen said the generation pack ticket offer is a great way for families to celebrate the game’s history.

“Our game is steeped in history and we want to provide an opportunity for as many fans as possible to be part of this round,” Mr Pullen said.

Generation pack ticket can be purchased from www.nrl.com/tickets.
The Rabbitohs will take on the St George Illawarra Dragons at the SCG this Saturday night at 7:30pm. Click here to purchase your tickets.

http://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2015/07/15/rabbitohs_dragons_me.html

Reynolds Proud to Play in Heritage Strip

Thu 16th July, 12:29PM
A A
Adam Reynolds won’t just have his other 16 teammates with him when he takes the field on Saturday at the Sydney Cricket Ground – he and his men will also have the name of every Rabbitohs Premiership winner on their jersey.
The Rabbitohs have won a record 21 Premierships since the game's innaugural season in 1908 - the most recent coming in 2014.

South Sydney will wear the 2015 Heritage Jersey in the Round 19 Men of League Heritage Round – a strip that goes back to the traditional playing strip of the Rabbitohs – the red and green striped jersey, white rabbit, black shorts with red and green socks.
“I like the old strip – you know the heritage jersey is always a good one to pull on,” said Reynolds.
“To share it with all the names on there, adds a bit (of a) bonus to it as well so we certainly haven’t forgotten what they’ve done for us in the past and its representing them on Saturday.”
This won’t be Reynolds’ first time on the hallowed turf of the SCG – the sight of so many Rabbitohs triumphs and historic moments – the halfback describing playing at the venue as a pleasure.
“I was lucky enough to play here last year and it was a great buzz too then,” said Reynolds.
“(I’m) definitely looking forward to the game on Saturday. The history behind it shows that it’s a great ground.
“Coming out here to play is also a pleasure, it’s also humbling to share the ground with St George – they’re a proud Club as well.”
Related Stories
Story: Cleary Recalls the 1965 Grand Final

http://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2015/07/16/reynolds_proud_to_pl.html

Pregnant at the 1965 Grand Final

Thu 16th July, 12:20PM
A A http://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/_jcr_content/par/newslist_95ce.rss

How important was supporting the Rabbitohs on Grand Final day in 1965 for proud Members Brenda and Owen Layden? Try being eight months pregnant in amongst what was a record SCG crowd!
On 18 September 1965, the young couple braved what was an overflowing and dangerously dense crowd that included people climbing the grandstands at the Sydney Cricket Ground, just to cheer on their Rabbitohs.
The proud pair exclusively described to Rabbitohs.com.au how they managed to set themselves up on the SCG hill on an esky during the historic match.
“I was eight and a half months pregnant – we had to go to the football,” recalls Brenda.
“We sat down and the guys had to stand to protect me because I thought ‘how am I going to get out of here if I’m going to be excited?’ (i.e. have the baby).
Related Stories
“We thought the best thing to do was get as close as we can to the ground so I could be carried over the head of people onto the field and out that way – at least that’s what we thought.
“It turned out I sat on the esky anyway for the day and the guys stood behind so no-one could push me off the esky.”
Owen recalled the set-up vividly.
“We were like the Praetorian Guard all standing with our arms locked behind her,” laughs Owen.
“One of my mates dropped his lunch and was never able to pick it up at all, and one went for a pee at half-time through the thirds and got back at half-time through the first-grade. So it was that sort of a crowd.”

http://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2015/07/16/pregnant_at_the_1965.html

Heritage Round: Rabbitohs

Thu 16 Jul, 2015, 3:30pm
NRL.com

Email
Print

image.ashx

Heritage Round - Rabbitohs

Round 19 of the Telstra Premiership will celebrate Heritage Round. See what Adam Reynolds has to say about his club

A foundation club, South Sydney has won a record 21 first grade premierships.
68 players have represented Australia from the club with Arthur Hennessy, Clive Churchill, John Sattler, Ron Coote and Bob McCarthy also being given the honour of captaining the Kangaroos.
Since the introduction of State of Origin football, 15 Rabbitohs have represented New South Wales and eight have played for Queensland.
South Sydney and the Dragons have a long history, including five clashes in Grand Finals with the Rabbitohs victorious on three occasions.
South Sydney is Bound by History… History Bound.
Draw Widget - Round 19 - Dragons vs Rabbitohs
Rnd 19: Sat 18 Jul 2015, 7:30pm, Sydney Cricket Ground

#NRLDragonsSouths

ADD

7th

Buy Tickets

5th

Team Lists Match Preview Tipping

Email
Print

http://www.nrl.com/heritage-round-rabbitohs/tabid/10874/newsid/88055/default.aspx

Rabbits20

Immortal
He would have set up 100s of tries!

He would have been a breath of fresh air at half or 5/8 in this time!

Sths are preparing Carter to be added to the side in a few weeks to give our pack toughness & mongrel ala Greg BIRD who is his comparison.

I expected that's what would happen with Carter all along.

5-6 weeks with Norths to prepare him and get match fitness then put him into first grade.

Rabbits20

Immortal
interesting. i wonder which position. maybe lock or on the interchange because i can't see madge moving sutton or glenn stewart

Maybe on the interchange.

But Alien, if McQueen doesn't lift and play consistently Carter could very well play lock.

Re-live the 1965 Grand Final

Video: Guy Bevan
Fri 17th July, 02:29PM

As the Rabbitohs prepare to take on the Dragons at the SCG on Saturday, travel back in time with Rabbitohs.com.au and re-live the historic 1965 Grand Final between the two Clubs.
Get in the mood with some of our other stories celebrating the match that set the Rabbitohs on the path to future glory in front of a record crowd of over 78,000 at the SCG.
Story: Coote on the ’65 Grand Final
Story: Pregnant at the 1965 Grand Final
Story: Press Conference at SCG
Preview: Round 19

http://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2015/07/17/re_live_the_1965_gra.html

Rabbits20

Immortal
A tough match in wet weather and a very good result.

GI was brilliant and I'll forgive him for that bombed try in the first half.

Walker and Goodwin were good.

Shame that Gray is struggling with his knee and McInnes injured himself.

Well done to the forwards except McQueen who didn't get involved much and Grevsmuhl was disappointing knocking the ball on a couple of times at important times in the match.

We are still not at our best but the 2 points is great and our defence was a lot better.

At 12-8 with 9mins left it looked like GI would be tackled in goal and we'd have a drop out but he beat 5 of them somehow and ran 20metres down field and got the penalty.

Reynolds stepped up in the last 8mins with brilliant play. What great tries from Reynolds and the Keary one as well.

Adam has the second best short kicking game in the comp behind Thurston.

southsport

First Grade
Solid effort, Souths took a couple of wrong options I thought, it was always going to be a tight game in those conditions, special mention goes to Tim Grant.

Did the ref even out the penalties in the second half?

Latest posts