What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vs Storm

hitman82

Bench
Also, I thought Maloney was better at fullback than the Fish was. Haha.

And why so few minutes for Mara in the second half? Brown has a gumby pass and should never be allowed to kick.

TheDMC

Bench
He's contracted to the Bulldogs. ;-)

That was a shit game tbh. I don't even know where to start.

I know he is mate, and it guts me, he should be somewhere in our godamn backline....

Game was good for the first 20...

Benek

Juniors
We need some width and structure to our attack!

The entire second half was one pass wide and hitup. No support running anywhere (doesn't help that Fish is completely incomp at FB), no creativity, so completely compressed and boring we make the Dragon's attack look razzle dazzle. Johnson offered nothing on attack all day except for some confused looking lateral drifting with no structure and no decisiveness.

Not having a fullback is a huge part of that problem. I'd say with a healthy Locke in the team we'd have one more try in that game and let up one less. It would improve our spine both offensively and defensively. I'm hoping his return next week will give us as much of a lift as I think it might, because we certainly don't look like we're on the path to a second-half-of-season comeback this year.

If we don't get it together in about 2 weeks we're going to struggle to make it better than about 8th or 7th, if we make the top 8 at all.

spear tackle

Juniors
Well we aint ever won a GF so why break a habit of a lifetime, another season full of promise flushed down the crapper.
I would say rebuild time but thinking on it I dont know if the cupboard has anything left in it.

Blair

Coach
I think only one player rostered with the Warriors in 2012 will play in the finals, and that's Inu.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach

The entire second half was one pass wide and hitup. No support running anywhere (doesn't help that Fish is completely incomp at FB), no creativity, so completely compressed and boring we make the Dragon's attack look razzle dazzle.

Exactly.

The reason we lost today is we were behind and we were playing like this; not because we were behind and in the last 5 minutes one bloke tried to come up with a miracle play after watching 45-50 minutes of crap from the blokes inside him.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Also: ironically given we "only" conceded 22 against the best team in the comp, I thought our defence was actually worse than ever today.

They were rumbling forward easily up the middle and it was embarrassing how often the simple inside-ball to Slater showed us up. Some of our forwards defending up the middle were very culpable here, on one occasion in particular there was a woeful non-effort from Mateo to cover the inside ball.

It seems to me that we play a very compressed D (just like the attack....) and accordingly are constantly caught short by ball movement. The result is our edge defenders get criticized, when really the problem is the structure, and the fact that our defence in the middle is not as dominant as it should be given the numerical advantage. We constantly commit 3 and 4 on 1 but don't dominate.

We showed more guts than normal today with the scramble but our overall D was dreadful.

Iafeta

Referee

The entire second half was one pass wide and hitup. No support running anywhere (doesn't help that Fish is completely incomp at FB), no creativity, so completely compressed and boring we make the Dragon's attack look razzle dazzle. Johnson offered nothing on attack all day except for some confused looking lateral drifting with no structure and no decisiveness.

Not having a fullback is a huge part of that problem. I'd say with a healthy Locke in the team we'd have one more try in that game and let up one less. It would improve our spine both offensively and defensively. I'm hoping his return next week will give us as much of a lift as I think it might, because we certainly don't look like we're on the path to a second-half-of-season comeback this year.

If we don't get it together in about 2 weeks we're going to struggle to make it better than about 8th or 7th, if we make the top 8 at all.

Johnson... what about the pass to Manu? Contender for best long ball ever by a Warriors half? It was out of this world. Then of course he tore them a new one off a bomb receipt. I noticed a fair few times the Storm pushed up very hard on his outside when they were on a wide spread.

We are gagging to make the 8 IMO. Getting behind the 8 ball a bit and not able to compete consistently with the better sides (bar the win over the Broncos). They seem a 10-11th team this year. For mine, thats unacceptable given with what Bluey inherited.

Fast Eddie

First Grade
I would have thought during pre season that if it was asked if we missed the 8 should McClennans job be questioned I'd say most would have agreed.

Last edited:

hitman82

Bench
Also: ironically given we "only" conceded 22 against the best team in the comp, I thought our defence was actually worse than ever today.

They were rumbling forward easily up the middle and it was embarrassing how often the simple inside-ball to Slater showed us up. Some of our forwards defending up the middle were very culpable here, on one occasion in particular there was a woeful non-effort from Mateo to cover the inside ball.

It seems to me that we play a very compressed D (just like the attack....) and accordingly are constantly caught short by ball movement. The result is our edge defenders get criticized, when really the problem is the structure, and the fact that our defence in the middle is not as dominant as it should be given the numerical advantage. We constantly commit 3 and 4 on 1 but don't dominate.

We showed more guts than normal today with the scramble but our overall D was dreadful.

Early in the season we were playing a very compressed D which was getting exposed easily. Since about Round 5 or 6 we have gone for a more numbered D, and it was working much better for about 3 rounds. But now it seems to have fallen apart again. I will watch the game again today, but I really don't think it's compressed D causing the problems.

We still seem to have major communication issues in the Taylor / Johnson / Henry / Manu side - they don't appear to work as a unit, and panic as soon as there's quick ball movement in their zone. One of them seems to invariably rush up and leave a hole to be exploited.

On the other flank, we have Mannering who is a fantastic tackler but still seems to miss the odd crucial one, kamikaze Maloney who constantly rushes out of the line, Hurrell who is improving but still pretty raw in his technique, Tupou who gets wrong-footed easily, and Fish floating around the back who offers dick all as a last line of defense.

Benek

Juniors
Also we don't get off the line on D. After the first 20 minutes, which was good, every guy stepped about 1 metre off the line and than just stood there flatfooted waiting for the attack to do something. You can't give Slater that much space. They carved us up because we gave them all the time in the world to set things up.

_addict

Juniors
Also we don't get off the line on D. After the first 20 minutes, which was good, every guy stepped about 1 metre off the line and than just stood there flatfooted waiting for the attack to do something. You can't give Slater that much space. They carved us up because we gave them all the time in the world to set things up.

X2, althouh I would argue it was initailly the halves we were giving free reign.

Latest posts