What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vs Titans Rd20

Alan Johnson

Juniors
It's always hard to tell how good players are while they're within the Melbourne system but clearly Harris was legit. Good old Melbourne though, they've just plugged that gap with another hotshot in Kaufusi. Again, it's hard to tell exactly how good he is when viewed through the Melbourne lens but jeez every time he gets the ball it looks like something is on.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
That's just what pure coaching nous and on-field structure and composure looks like.
The Storms ability to uphold their good standard of footy throughout most of the vigorous NRL season, is what impresses me. They come in well prepared and they execute their procedures like they do at training. From their set pieces through to the tackle etc... all these things are what they do better and more frequently than the other teams. They also recruit well (from New Zealand Warriors) and they keep their error and penalty count down fairly low.

They're gonna win it.

JJ

Immortal

They're gonna win it.

Not certainties yet IMO, Roosters, Rabbitohs, Dragons (if McGregor can rest some of the pack), Cronulla will all give it a crack - Panthers and Broncos might be a year or two off

Melbourne certainly won't roll over, have record losses to the Gold Coast, or beat themselves, that's for sure... even if Smith or Slater's out, they'll grind away

Meth

Staff member
Not certainties yet IMO, Roosters, Rabbitohs, Dragons (if McGregor can rest some of the pack), Cronulla will all give it a crack - Panthers and Broncos might be a year or two off

Melbourne certainly won't roll over, have record losses to the Gold Coast, or beat themselves, that's for sure... even if Smith or Slater's out, they'll grind away

If we don’t win it, geez I hope the Dragons do

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade

The top 8 finals play offs is what makes the NRL so great. Theres not much difference between the teams. I'd go as far as sayin that it's better than Origin.

Come finals, the Storm will deliver their high standard brand of footy. Their pack, their backs and their spine SHOULD align come the business end.

Roosters and Rabbits are looking like grand finalists and like the Storm, they are putting together good consistent performances. Rabbits are coming around just in time.

Reactions: JJ

JJ

Immortal
The top 8 finals play offs is what makes the NRL so great. Theres not much difference between the teams. I'd go as far as sayin that it's better than Origin.

Come finals, the Storm will deliver their high standard brand of footy. Their pack, their backs and their spine SHOULD align come the business end.

Roosters and Rabbits are looking like grand finalists and like the Storm, they are putting together good consistent performances. Rabbits are coming around just in time.
Top 8 is probably too many IMO, usually 2 mediocre teams - top 6 would be better, I think, but less money in it - this year the Broncos, Panthers and Warriors are just not consistent enough - but each probably have enough talent to compete if they perform consistently at their own higher levels - still questions over them all I think - we have had too many thrashings, the Broncos are up and down, as are the Panthers - for the Panthers I think losing Edwards and Wallace in particular has hurt them

As an aside, I am not sure I've ever seen a player as versatile as Tyrone Peachey - he's a backrower (I guess, t least that's where I view his most natural position) who has played at NRL level as a half, a centre, a hooker, a wing, and a fullback - I imagine he's played minutes in the middle as a back rower too - I can't think of anyone else that's been that flexible in the roles he can play - literally anywhere, and been pretty decent at them all.

I guess this talking about other stuff illustrates how enamored we all are with the Warriors performance on the weekend LOL

Cloudsurfer

Juniors
Top 8 is probably too many IMO, usually 2 mediocre teams - top 6 would be better, I think, but less money in it - this year the Broncos, Panthers and Warriors are just not consistent enough - but each probably have enough talent to compete if they perform consistently at their own higher levels - still questions over them all I think - we have had too many thrashings, the Broncos are up and down, as are the Panthers - for the Panthers I think losing Edwards and Wallace in particular has hurt them

As an aside, I am not sure I've ever seen a player as versatile as Tyrone Peachey - he's a backrower (I guess, t least that's where I view his most natural position) who has played at NRL level as a half, a centre, a hooker, a wing, and a fullback - I imagine he's played minutes in the middle as a back rower too - I can't think of anyone else that's been that flexible in the roles he can play - literally anywhere, and been pretty decent at them all.

I guess this talking about other stuff illustrates how enamored we all are with the Warriors performance on the weekend LOL
Agree with your summary there apart from the number of teams in the finals...how else would emerging teams get the experience of finals footy without a crack at it? And its weighted for those at the top with second lives, rightly so because they've played the best to be up there at seasons end. If there were just six what would the rest of the comps teams have to aim for but the chance to make it in the eight & jag the big prize?

JJ

Immortal
Agree with your summary there apart from the number of teams in the finals...how else would emerging teams get the experience of finals footy without a crack at it? And its weighted for those at the top with second lives, rightly so because they've played the best to be up there at seasons end. If there were just six what would the rest of the comps teams have to aim for but the chance to make it in the eight & jag the big prize?
Guess I'm old and remember the top 5 days where all teams in the playoffs were pretty legit chances

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
...I guess this talking about other stuff illustrates how enamored we all are with the Warriors performance on the weekend LOL
Like Rod Stewart its "I dont wanna...talk about it...how you". Im trying to stop swearing and so I cant talk about our lot in the weekend. Useless.

In regards to Peachey - I see him as a back but hes so robust that he can play in the pack. Des Hasler was one of the best utility players back in the day and I think Peachey is the modern day Hasler, only their style is completely different but theyre one of those rare talents that you can't really hold down to one position.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
when was the last time you guys won a round 20 match?

Post origin slide continues to plague your team.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade

Yeah, I like 8. This year there's 8 decent teams, us included if we can get our shit sorted attitude wise, be injury free etc. Generally the side who finishes 8th isn't bad, I can't remember where a bum team has someone miracled a spot in the finals.

And obviously TV is the reason for 8, meaning more finals and more $$ in the rights deal.

One Warrior

Bench

Interesting what you say about the Panthers and Peachey, because he is off to the Titans next year, the Panthers let a few good players go, although they certainly made the right call on Cartwright lol.

Top 8, you just have to win 4 games in a row!
We did 5 at the start of the year.
Just need a good run into the finals with all top troops on deck.
And to not play soft. :)