What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WA BEARS

Perth Red

Post Whore
But those 10k bums on seats have got used to being at home watching games on TV due to covid, especially after they invested in their new 75 inch tv"s
True but that wasn’t the argument lol. Increasing crowds and members takes some investment and effort.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I've always seen Ipswich as Broncos territory. Not sure how Easts Tigers overlap but Redcliffe or Ipswich don't?
Yes sure, just like Redcliffe used to be Broncos territory but things change as the city grows. Ispwich is a different city, the Brisbane Tigers are based in inner East Brisbane, the Broncos inner North so much of a muchness as both represent the Brisbane area.

As the city continues to grow a northern corridor (Dolphins), Brisbane (Broncos) and Western Corridor (Jets) spread will do nicely in SEQ.

Wb1234

Referee
bs, WA has spent: Optus stadium $1.6bill, perth areana $550mill, hbf park $165mill. All in a city 60% the size of Sydney lol.

your strategy was sht, no national stadium, sfs too big for its tennants and still half the clubs playing in dumps or stadiums that look embarrassing because they are 75% empty.

another $100mill on hbf and it will be perfect for our rectangular sports clubs needs. Hopefully thats part of the govt’s committment to support a perth nrl club.
I was talking just rectangular grounds

I mean they also spent 150 million on the giants facilities and the scg got an upgrade too

once all the builds are done Sydney will have the best stadia in the country

mongoose

Coach
Yes sure, just like Redcliffe used to be Broncos territory but things change as the city grows. Ispwich is a different city, the Brisbane Tigers are based in inner East Brisbane, the Broncos inner North so much of a muchness as both represent the Brisbane area.

As the city continues to grow a northern corridor (Dolphins), Brisbane (Broncos) and Western Corridor (Jets) spread will do nicely in SEQ.
this is just making up imaginary lines based on where the Leagues club is based. Like Canard said, Brisbane isn't like Sydney and I don't get why we want to make it like Sydney. All of Brisbane and its outskirts have always been Broncos territory, - redcliffe, ipswich, logan, redlands, pine rivers etc... I wonder what the Broncos think that they are now an inner northwest club.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I was talking just rectangular grounds

I mean they also spent 150 million on the giants facilities and the scg got an upgrade too

once all the builds are done Sydney will have the best stadia in the country
haha no you wasnt, you've just changed your argument as it’s been shown up as untrue.

Sydney is getting close to 2 billion dollars in new stadia spent on it which is double what wa has spent

Wb1234

Referee
haha no you wasnt, you've just changed your argument as it’s been shown up as untrue.
Well I didn’t include the money they spent on the scg or the Showgrounds

of course I’ve excluded the spending on centre of excellence that’s another 100 million plus

like when we got the Olympian and the Olympic chief said ….

the winner is Sydney !

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Well if you’re going on owners wealth rather than what the football club can generate then the western force are actually the richest sports club in australia lol Eagles generat their money from the sport, dolphins from pokie machines. Big difference

if all was equal in afl grant land eagles would actually be getting $5mill more. A pittance to them, when you’ve got 60k crowds and 110k members you dont need to rely on the tv grant To keep you afloat.
They're not though, they are averaging 33k in crowds this season. Membership numbers are a pretty unreliable figure when you consider in both the AFL and NRL the number of members doesn't at all line up with crowd averages.

Perth Red

Post Whore
They're not though, they are averaging 33k in crowds this season. Membership numbers are a pretty unreliable figure when you consider in both the AFL and NRL the number of members doesn't at all line up with crowd averages.
Eagles have sold out full game memberships for a decade and still have thousands waiting for one. Its money in the bank regardless of how many turn up.

Jets joined in 82.

The specific geographical location of a teams Leagues Club is irrelevant to its long term supporter base.

And certainly a teams Leagues club proximity to an AFL club one shouldn't be a factor in anyway.

Logan is not some hotbed of Brisbane Easts supporters, and concept of a juniors catchment is a Sydney concept is definitely not something we do here in QLD
Jets joined the Winfield Statewide League in 1982. They didn't join the BRL until 1986. Two years later the Logan City Scorpions were admitted into A Grade and Reserves after finishing runners up to Redcliffe in the 1987 C Grade GF.

Easts have four junior clubs in Logan: Springwood Tigers, Rochedale Tigers, Flagstone Tigers and the soon to be established Yarrabilba Tigers. They also have affiliate clubs in Easts Mt Gravatt, Carina Tigers, Bulimba Valleys Bulldogs and Brothers St Brendans. It's listed on their website and their expansion into Logan's outer southeast is part of their strategic plan in their financial report.

Last edited:
You're absolutely correct about West Coast Eagles seeing a decline in attendance. It was written about in the media.

I don't see the appeal of an Ipswich-based team in the NRL. Ipswich has a population of 240k whereas Logan has to about 340k. Logan produces more players and is part of the Easts Tigers strategic plan of 2020. We've already got the Rochedale Tigers, Springwood Tigers, Flagstone Tigers and soon we'll have the Yarrabilba Tigers flying the flag for Easts in Logan across the junior competitions.

Combined, Logan and the eastern suburbs of Brisbane have so much more to offer than a team from Ipswich. I was born and raised in Brisbane's eastern suburbs and moved to Logan 20 years ago, so I'm in the privileged position of knowing the RL landscape of both regions. Despite Souths adding "Logan" to their name after the Scorpions folded in 2002, they still don't have a junior club in Logan and haven't had one since the Souths Woodridge Magpies folded in 1982. Easts Tigers have been in Logan for decades.

Last edited:

titoelcolombiano

First Grade

Perth Red

Post Whore
You're absolutely correct about West Coast Eagles seeing a decline in attendance. It was written about in the media.

Might be something to do with a pandemic that perth has only just had to face the reality of? Like I said they’ve sold every full game membership available and have many thousands more waiting for one.

Might be something to do with a pandemic that perth has only just had to face the reality of? Like I said they’ve sold every full game membership available and have many thousands more waiting for one.
Maybe so, but their crowds have never been full capacity if the records are anything to go by. In the two years before COVID-19 the attendances for Perth Stadium were 53,513 in 2019 and 53,250 in 2018 at a venue that has a capacity of 60k. Great crowds that shit on the Broncos, but it could be argued they only got them due to the thrill of it being a brand new venue. For all we know, 33k might be the long-term average for Perth Stadium. Subiaco Oval had a capacity of 43k, yet the average for the Eagles at that venue surpassed 40k just three times over 31 seasons. The average between 2008 and 2017 never surpassed 37,653 in 2008.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Cause tv will pay for it and bc Brisbanes population is going to boom over the ten years

There were literally two very good bids according to the arlc which missed out

north and south west covers the two major growth coridoors in Brisbane
Plus keeping Brisbane's sporting landscape maxed out with professional teams squeezes the other codes hard and makes it impossible for them to place a second team in the city. It is a vicious cycle for them....

The NRL adds the Dolphins funded by TV because an extra Brisbane team actually holds value and the number of pro football teams in SEQ goes to 7 (Broncos, Titans, Dolphins, Lions, Suns, Reds and Roar). Again in 10 / 15 years time when the city has grown enough for those other codes to even think about carving out a niche for another club, bang! The NRL add Ipswich in to lock up the South West corner funded by TV because it has value in region and the number of professional teams goes to 8 (with half of them NRL clubs) making it extremely difficult for the other codes to expand and their existing clubs are getting squeezed hard by the ever growing beast that is RL.

I'm not saying we should go past the Broncos, Titans, Dolphins and Jets in SEQ but that combination would lock up the north, city, west and south of SEQ. We can then close the shop at NRL level for QLD knowing that we've made it pretty much impossible for our competitors to take advantage of any growth pockets in the region. The teams area also spread out far enough to prevent too much overlap.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade

I don't see the appeal of an Ipswich-based team in the NRL. Ipswich has a population of 240k whereas Logan has to about 340k. Logan produces more players and is part of the Easts Tigers strategic plan of 2020. We've already got the Rochedale Tigers, Springwood Tigers, Flagstone Tigers and soon we'll have the Yarrabilba Tigers flying the flag for Easts in Logan across the junior competitions.

Combined, Logan and the eastern suburbs of Brisbane have so much more to offer than a team from Ipswich. I was born and raised in Brisbane's eastern suburbs and moved to Logan 20 years ago, so I'm in the privileged position of knowing the RL landscape of both regions. Despite Souths adding "Logan" to their name after the Scorpions folded in 2002, they still don't have a junior club in Logan and haven't had one since the Souths Woodridge Magpies folded in 1982. Easts Tigers have been in Logan for decades.
I'd be looking to lock up that south-west corridor even if it was based at Springfield. It would mean that RL has all corners of SEQ locked up and makes life really difficult for other codes to expand.

North - Dolphins
City - Broncos
West - Ipswich Firehawk Tiger-Jets
South - Titans

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
this is just making up imaginary lines based on where the Leagues club is based. Like Canard said, Brisbane isn't like Sydney and I don't get why we want to make it like Sydney. All of Brisbane and its outskirts have always been Broncos territory, - redcliffe, ipswich, logan, redlands, pine rivers etc... I wonder what the Broncos think that they are now an inner northwest club.
The Boncos aren't the inner north club, they are the club for the Brisbane area which is why the Firehawks were not needed.

The future clubs should be based on growth corridors of SEQ.

North - Dolphins
Brisbane - Broncos
South - Titans
West - Jets

Cover all four corners of SEQ, spread far enough out to carve their own turn and then close shop at NRL level for SEQ.

mongoose

Coach
Plus keeping Brisbane's sporting landscape maxed out with professional teams squeezes the other codes hard and makes it impossible for them to place a second team in the city. It is a vicious cycle for them....

The NRL adds the Dolphins funded by TV because an extra Brisbane team actually holds value and the number of pro football teams in SEQ goes to 7 (Broncos, Titans, Dolphins, Lions, Suns, Reds and Roar). Again in 10 / 15 years time when the city has grown enough for those other codes to even think about carving out a niche for another club, bang! The NRL add Ipswich in to lock up the South West corner funded by TV because it has value in region and the number of professional teams goes to 8 (with half of them NRL clubs) making it extremely difficult for the other codes to expand and their existing clubs are getting squeezed hard by the ever growing beast that is RL.

I'm not saying we should go past the Broncos, Titans, Dolphins and Jets in SEQ but that combination would lock up the north, city, west and south of SEQ. We can then close the shop at NRL level for QLD knowing that we've made it pretty much impossible for our competitors to take advantage of any growth pockets in the region. The teams area also spread out far enough to prevent too much overlap.
I get what you're saying but Sydney has 9 NRL clubs and it hasn't squeezed out the competition from other codes.... Perth has 2 AFL clubs and some of the Sydney expansion experts think there is no room for League in Perth lol, it's quite hilarious.

Colk

First Grade
I get what you're saying but Sydney has 9 NRL clubs and it hasn't squeezed out the competition from other codes.... Perth has 2 AFL clubs and some of the Sydney expansion experts think there is no room for League in Perth lol, it's quite hilarious.

It encapsulates a severe inferiority complex and a lack of understanding about how markets work.

I'd be looking to lock up that south-west corridor even if it was based at Springfield. It would mean that RL has all corners of SEQ locked up and makes life really difficult for other codes to expand.

North - Dolphins
City - Broncos
South - Titans
There's no way people from Logan and Brisbane will support the Jets. Even if they call themselves the Brisbane Jets, I still wouldn't support the club and would support everyone who plays them. I absolutely hate Ipswich and so does the majority of people from Brisbane and Logan.

Brisbane Firehawks can be a south Brisbane team that includes Logan.

Ipswich has a rich link with the Broncos dating all the way back to the days when Langer and the Walters brothers played for them in 1988.

Wb1234

Referee
Ga

North - Dolphins
City - Broncos
South - Titans
Gallop highlighted that area almost 15 years ago

they will be team 19