What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WA BEARS

Brian potter

First Grade
If they could sell enough tickets and the event builds up over time then Allianz is where they should take it

let it start at north Sydney oval to get the bears fans feeling active again and see how it goes
Good shout.

is there no future plans for upgrading NSO?

Reflector

Juniors
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again that the NRL has everything going for it to not only become the biggest sporting competition in the southern hemisphere but the RL equivalent of the English premier league or even NFL.
Hence why we need to give serious consideration to expanding the Origin concept...

Reflector

Juniors
In what way?

by adding international teams?
I went in depth on another thread, but the TL,DR is:

a) Ad NZ and PNG, with possibly Tonga and Samoa further down the track to give us a 6 team Origin series
b) The comp is organised by Pool A and Pool B, with NSW and Qld in separate pools
c) The Origin concept goes up a whole new level as it doesn't just include NSW/ Qld but the RL playing/ supporting Pacific regions as well.

Wb1234

Referee
Ok…

I dont think I’m going to agree with you on this ..

I know the Bears have some passionate fans left in Sydney … but I think the numbers might not be what some are thinking…
People said the same about souths too they turned out ok

foundation clubs has generational support

it’s why the area is a rugby league ghostland today

Wb1234

Referee
Why?

who owns it . The local council or cricket Australia?
Council

some money was spent for cricket

most of the stands look heritage anyway

It will only ever be one game a year no council is spending hundreds of millions on that and there is no support for the bears to ever play there full time in the future under any circumstances

wait till your favourite ground in Sydney gets an upgrade lmao

All the small grounds in Sydney are council owned but sharks is private

the big ones are state govt owned. Not sure who ends up owning Penrith but probably state

Brian potter

First Grade

a) Ad NZ and PNG, with possibly Tonga and Samoa further down the track to give us a 6 team Origin series
b) The comp is organised by Pool A and Pool B, with NSW and Qld in separate pools
c) The Origin concept goes up a whole new level as it doesn't just include NSW/ Qld but the RL playing/ supporting Pacific regions as well.
I like it but for me it would have to be a less is more concept with each side only playing 2 pool games and both pool winners qualifying for a playoff final.

Wb1234

Referee

Super league tri series not enough lol ?

Brian potter

First Grade
Council

It will only ever be one game a year no council is spending hundreds of millions on that and there is no support for the bears to ever play there full time in the future under any circumstances

the big ones are state govt owned. Not sure who ends up owning Penrith but probably state
Seems a shame to let it just fall into a dilapidated state as it’s a iconic stadium but I guess money is king in these situations.

when is shark park getting an upgrade?

Wb1234

Referee
Seems a shame to let it just fall into a dilapidated state as it’s a iconic stadium but I guess money is king in these situations.

when is shark park getting an upgrade?
Leichardt oval just got 40 million

the nrl still hasn’t done the stadium deal where the grand final stays in Sydney

that’s supposed to allocate another 800 million for stadia

assuming pvl plays nice and counts Penrith as part of it that still leaves close to 500 million left to spend

brookvale is first cab of the rank to replace the hill at say 200 to 250 million

still leaves a lot of money left for Newcastle Wollongong or shark park

Phil rothfield has been using his articles to push for shark park to get some cash so a modest stand where the hill is now could be on the cards

and the previous liberal fed govt spent 20 million on the new western grandstand so there’s a precedent of govts spending money on private stadia

on nso oval the ground has been maintained as is for decades it’s just a boutique little ground

Nutz

Bench
Council

Wb why wouldn't the Leichhardt Council sell the LO ground if say billionaire
Harry Triguboff wanted it for WT. You can stop laughing now.
Seriously, is there a reason if the money was good.

Brian potter

First Grade
Leichardt oval just got 40 million

the nrl still hasn’t done the stadium deal where the grand final stays in Sydney

that’s supposed to allocate another 800 million for stadia

assuming pvl plays nice and counts Penrith as part of it that still leaves close to 500 million left to spend

brookvale is first cab of the rank to replace the hill at say 200 to 250 million

still leaves a lot of money left for Newcastle Wollongong or shark park

Phil rothfield has been using his articles to push for shark park to get some cash so a modest stand where the hill is now could be on the cards

and the previous liberal fed govt spent 20 million on the new western grandstand so there’s a precedent of govts spending money on private stadia

on nso oval the ground has been maintained as is for decades it’s just a boutique little ground
Jesus!!! Some of those price tags just to replace 1 stand let alone a whole stadium are truly eye watering!!!

as for the sharks getting money for their crappy little ground I say f@ck em if it’s privately owned. Let them fund their own upgrades as they are wealthy enough to do so.

Wb1234

Referee
Wb why wouldn't the Leichhardt Council sell the LO ground if say billionaire
Harry Triguboff wanted it for WT. You can stop laughing now.
Seriously, is there a reason if the money was good.
Biggest greenie council in Sydney

everything is heritage

there would be riots at the loss of green space

I like the hill at leichardt oval it would be a shame to lose it

they’ve got Allianz literally almost next door

you can catch the light rail from Lilly field right to the stadium now I’m pretty sure

plus I think they should be focusing on Campbelltown play 9 games there and get it upgraded

Your idea isn’t impossible as there is loads of land around leichardt oval which is part of the bay run and playing fields they could give him those in exchange for a new leichardt oval. But again green council doubt they would do it

Wb1234

Referee
Jesus!!! Some of those price tags just to replace 1 stand let alone a whole stadium are truly eye watering!!!

as for the sharks getting money for their crappy little ground I say f@ck em if it’s privately owned. Let them fund their own upgrades as they are wealthy enough to do so.
Remember this is a commercial deal where the nrl is giving the grand final to Sydney for 25 years in exchange for money spent to improve whichever stadiums it wants to in Sydney or nsw

the nsw govt is currently paying the nrl 8 million pa to host the grand final and that would go away if they sign the stadium deal

Brian potter

First Grade
Remember this is a commercial deal where the nrl is giving the grand final to Sydney for 25 years in exchange for money spent to improve whichever stadiums it wants to in Sydney or nsw

the nsw govt is currently paying the nrl 8 million pa to host the grand final and that would go away if they sign the stadium deal
$800m v $200m sounds like a no-brainer to me.

Nutz

Bench
Biggest greenie council in Sydney

everything is heritage

there would be riots at the loss of green space

I like the hill at leichardt oval it would be a shame to lose it

they’ve got Allianz literally almost next door

you can catch the light rail from Lilly field right to the stadium now I’m pretty sure

plus I think they should be focusing on Campbelltown play 9 games there and get it upgraded

Your idea isn’t impossible as there is loads of land around leichardt oval which is part of the bay run and playing fields they could give him those in exchange for a new leichardt oval. But again green council doubt they would do it
Get rid of the hill? Sacrilege!
I'm just asking if someone financed it so it belonged to Wests Tigers to use it when and however they liked till the cows come home what would be their reason to knock it back. I can only think of money. The sale could have conditions to satisfy the green side...nearly wrote the dark side ;)

Wb1234

Referee
Get rid of the hill? Sacrilege!
I'm just asking if someone financed it so it belonged to Wests Tigers to use it when and however they liked till the cows come home what would be their reason to knock it back. I can only think of money. The sale could have conditions to satisfy the green side...nearly wrote the dark side ;)
Tigers have no worries ever not being able to use leichardt oval

you know the afl tried to get onto birchgrove oval (balmains original ground) and council wouldn’t let them lol