What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WA BEARS

Red&BlackBear

First Grade
Do the Bears plan to rejoin Flegg?

Should also be aiming for at least one Perth based side in the NSW or QLD junior comps by 2027.

QRL U16s is 7 weeks & U18s is 11 weeks, plus finals. NSWRL U17s & U19s are 9 weeks each plus finals. A couple ‘West Coast Cubs’ teams in either system should be achievable by the end of the decade if they’re serious.
Having sides in Cyril Connell and Mal Meninga Cups is logical to me. I’ve been beating the sound of that drum for months now.

Norths in NSW, WA in QLD. Talent gets to face the best talent of the same age in both states.

Wb1234

Immortal

Should also be aiming for at least one Perth based side in the NSW or QLD junior comps by 2027.

QRL U16s is 7 weeks & U18s is 11 weeks, plus finals. NSWRL U17s & U19s are 9 weeks each plus finals. A couple ‘West Coast Cubs’ teams in either system should be achievable by the end of the decade if they’re serious.
Good question where they host the nsw cup side

Assuming you want continuity all your best players together it should be one team

Would that be in Sydney or Perth

jim_57

Staff member
Having sides in Cyril Connell and Mal Meninga Cups is logical to me. I’ve been beating the sound of that drum for months now.

Norths in NSW, WA in QLD. Talent gets to face the best talent of the same age in both states.

That would make sense, having all 4 covering U16 to U19 feeding in to Jersey Flegg and/or a Perth based NRL under 20s if/when that returns.

WA sides will probably be cannon fodder for a while but get the ball rolling straight away. With a local NRL team I’d imagine more Union juniors might be tempted.

jim_57

Staff member
Good question where they host the nsw cup side

Assuming you want continuity all your best players together it should be one team

Would that be in Sydney or Perth

Eventually reserves probably need to be based in Perth whether it be NSW Cup, QLD Cup or NRL reserve grade. Although Storm & Cowboys make do but Perth to Sydney is more of a logistical challenge.

Perth Red

Post Whore

I’d expect us to be back in sg ball and maybe flegg by 2027,

Perth Red

Post Whore

Why? Qlnd is further to fly and geographically spread out a lot more than the Sydney comps. Logistically and financially nsw comps make more sense.

Red&BlackBear

First Grade
Why? Qlnd is further to fly and geographically spread out a lot more than the Sydney comps. Logistically and financially nsw comps make more sense.
Extra 15 mins of flight time isn’t going to kill them. Prices are relatively the same. Sometimes cheaper to Brisbane.

Kids will be all the better for it. Running 2 sides in HM and SG is normal - see Dragons/Steelers & Tigers/Magpies but once they hit JF it’ll just be one team.

I like the idea of having teams in NSW and QLD.

Nuke

Staff member
I’m just happy they took my advice and changed the original eyes on this logo. Previous eyes looked like a stoned Cambodian.
'They' haven't unveiled the club's logo yet. That's one of my designs of what I feel will be close to what they come up with. From a source inside the decision-makers circle, it's not far off (but as of when I last heard a few weeks ago, final tweaks were being made then so nothing had been finalised).

As has been suggested, all will likely be revealed in around about 2 weeks.

Red&BlackBear

First Grade
'They' haven't unveiled the club's logo yet. That's one of my designs of what I feel will be close to what they come up with. From a source inside the decision-makers circle, it's not far off (but as of when I last heard a few weeks ago, final tweaks were being made then so nothing had been finalised).

As has been suggested, all will likely be revealed in around about 2 weeks.
Yep, I know re: logo/final logo etc. But credit where credit is due to your design. I think the tweaks that you made are great!

Red&BlackBear

First Grade
Makes sense having a central coast- north shore team based in WA with their juniors playing in a Queensland competition.

Makes perfect sense.
It wouldn’t be the Norths side in QLD. It would be a strictly WA.

There was around 15 odd WA kids sprinkled through the Cyril Connell and Mal Meninga Cups this season and most of them did a year of schooling in QLD to also play in the Alan Langer comp as well. So the precedent of WA kids coming over is there already just not in the form of an actual team.

Opportunity to develop these kids against quality talent. Easier to disperse 40 kids in two competitions than have 40 in one. You don’t want any kid from either WA or Norths catchment showing a glimpse of talent to miss out and potentially be lost to the system. If you don’t know, ask.

Last edited:

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
So we're shipping players from Perth across to Queensland?

Then what is the purpose of the Central Coast- North Shore - Perth link up?

Besides the one game at Norf Sydney Oval for old men to hate a team that doesn't give a f**k about a so called rivalry.

Red&BlackBear

First Grade
So we're shipping players from Perth across to Queensland?

Then what is the purpose of the Central Coast- North Shore - Perth link up?

Besides the one game at Norf Sydney Oval for old men to hate a team that doesn't give a f**k about a so called rivalry.
Because how are you going to fit 40 into 20 per age group?

The link is to get the best of the talent to siphon into the premier comps. If you’re just targeting 17 players then others miss out and you have three choices.
1) run multiple teams of the same age group in one comp but only works in HM and SG.

2) run multiple teams in 2 seperate comps.

3) keep the WA kids not quite at the level of the 17 premier kids who make the HM, SG and JF sides in the WA comp but then they won’t develop the same had they been playing against NSW or QLD teams.

It’s not the difficult to understand. JRL clubs in QLD have been getting kids already from WA last few seasons. All this means is they have a team here as opposed to the kids being sprinkled across multiple JRL clubs anyways. It’s only for 7 to 12 weeks.

If there was already 15 or so kids living away from home and playing footy here what difference does adding 5 more kids and having a team here make? Western Bears pay for the set up but the company that sits above Norths already do that anyways in QLD comps via. Seagulls Juniors. So this isn’t alien.

Need to consolidate the talent. Once Jersey Flegg comes it’s only one side. Meaning kids that don’t quite transition from SG Ball up are lost to the system or worse yet other clubs. So throw them together in a team elsewhere where they can keep developing by playing other premier talent. It’s what’s best for development and setting up these kids, all the kids (regardless of if they’re top 17 material or top 34 material) for success.

Last edited:

Wb1234

Immortal
Multiple reserve grade sided means no continuity like Penrith have with their juniors

If it’s based in wa (which it should) then it’s convincing young eastern states kids to move early

Wa reserve grade side would be the strongest one with norths nsw cup side feeding into it

You want your nrl players having spent time over there before hand ideally

Red&BlackBear

First Grade
Multiple reserve grade sided means no continuity like Penrith have with their juniors

If it’s based in wa (which it should) then it’s convincing you eastern states kids to move early

Wa reserve grade side would be the strongest one with norths nsw cup side feeding into it
Not true, it’s still under the Western Bears umbrella.

No different to Storm sending contracted kids who don’t make the SG Ball side (in NSW Cup) to QLD based sides (Tigers or Falcons) except in this situation you have a team in the QLD Comp’s as well instead of them being dispersed at various clubs.

Panthers like synergy can only happen in the future once there’s a strong enough pool of players to really develop within their own local competition. But to get there you need to venture out first and absorb as much from the top tiers. What I’m suggesting is a decade or 15 year long venture at best.

Last edited:

Latest posts