What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WA BEARS

Wb1234

Immortal
you can make all the excuses you like, but three goes and falling short each time would suggest there's a pattern more than an occasion. Lets see if its 4th time lucky, but given the bar is pretty high at $640mill I'm not holding my breath.
Stan are bidding against FoxSports for the nrl

Bad news for you but good for us

More than welcome for you to hold your breath as long as possible

MugaB

Coach
People who were in their 20s who supported the bears in the 90s aren't in their 40s now, they're in their 50s. I'd suggest to this upstart that if you want to look like you're clever then at least get the basics right. And drop the fumbleball rot, it's embarrassing.
Why does the age matter? Not sure why being 40 or 50 matters

wb2027

Juniors
These comparisons with AFL are stupid.

None of Rugby league's expansion should be based on anything to do with the AFL.

Rugby league is a global sport attracting a audience all across the pacific with interest now in the US and investment into Europe.

Australian Football League is all it ever will be and following the blueprint of a sport so deeply constrained by a national boarder is no step forward, it's a retreat.

I'm all for a Perth team but not as some dumb imaginary comparisons with the AFL.
How familiar are you with the Oakland Raiders?

MugaB

Coach
It's basic maths.
Yeah but what was the point? where did he say being 50 yrs old matters, like I'm not following your distain...
He mentioned kids (I was one of these) teens and 20s, and that the average was 40, that means there's also kids that grew up in 1998, right? Not specifically 1990

Perth Red

Post Whore
The point is if you're going to write an article at least get your basics right.
professional media cant even get basic facts right, Im not sure we should hold a roar opinion piece to too high a standard. Its littered with maybes and inaccuracies.

Last edited:

wb2027

Juniors
People who were in their 20s who supported the bears in the 90s aren't in their 40s now, they're in their 50s. I'd suggest to this upstart that if you want to look like you're clever then at least get the basics right.

This is an excellent point. It's been 25 years and the NRL still hasn't lowered the age limit so that anyone under 20 can watch rugby league.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
What is these basics you're crapping on about tho?
Again he talks about an average of 40yr olds,

"They were the kids, teens, 20 somethings screaming for the likes of Greg Florimo, Billy Moore, Gary Larson, David Fairleigh and Peter Jackson in the successful ’90s era."

2024 - 1994 = 30

30 + 20 = 50.

Would you like me to read Spot the Dog for you next?

And lol, how many teens were screaming for the bears. Absolute rot swallowed by dullards.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Its been interesting seeing The Dolphins attract fans from far and wide since their inception. I was surprised how many Phins jerseys there where at the Perth game for example. Will the Western Bears also have a broader following, engage maybe some Sydney folk who may not have been NS fans previously, like WB said attract some AFL fans over to a new club with a heritage brand? It seems a pretty good brand to appeal to new audiences as well as die hard NS fans (in their 40's or 50's :) ) and RL starved WA fans. I hope we have plans to launch a Tassie style founding members scheme before Christmas (presuming we get accepted this month).

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Yep. Thousands of potential new fans in Sydney will rush to support a team based in Western Australia instead of the nine existing Sydney teams. Just for a chance to sit under the fig tree against an arch enemy that has moved on a long time ago.

Red&BlackBear

First Grade
Pointing out that you are incorrect neither makes me threatened or insecure about AFL. I am a Queenslander and outside the AFL propaganda machine, everyone knows RL will always be number 1 here.

What you can't accept is that AFL is a niche game here champ. It seems to upset you
Funny that you keep going back to a code vs code debate when it was never the point you tried to raise nor was it argued. However you can’t even stick to the script you wrote champ. It isn’t a thing… If you aren’t threatened why keep bringing up rugby league support when it wasn’t even part of the initial context. I for one know league is the most supported and far better sport in comparison here in QLD.

When the estimated amount of juniors clubs were raised you used the argument of “soccer mums”. Ok so if these people are invested that much into a sport that there suddenly becomes a market to increase junior clubs how is that not a thing? Conversely is cricket not a thing? Because they get lesser crowds, lesser overall participation and in general lesser media attention. No one in their right mind would ever say cricket isn’t a thing…

You’re simply sticking a fork in Queenslanders and their love for sports by portraying us as closed minded dimwits who mirror yourself and we can’t look beyond one type of code.

Last edited:

Gobsmacked

Bench
Its been interesting seeing The Dolphins attract fans from far and wide since their inception. I was surprised how many Phins jerseys there where at the Perth game for example. Will the Western Bears also have a broader following, engage maybe some Sydney folk who may not have been NS fans previously, like WB said attract some AFL fans over to a new brand? It seems a pretty good brand to appeal to new audiences as well as die hard NS fans (in their 40's or 50's :) ) and RL starved WA fans. I hope we have plans to launch a Tassie style founding members scheme before Christmas (presuming we get accepted this month).
The trouble is that west Australians don't have much of a ex pat community on the East Coast. Firstly because the West Australian born and bred aren't a big population to begin with and Secondly they tend to stick to the West Coast for many reasons like better wages ect.
The case for a Perth team is the massive expat presence in WA from the East Coast- like the Dolphins fans you saw.
I expect to be Able to count the West Australians on 1 hand at away games on the East Coast..
Thankfully the Bears support will soften the blow.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The trouble is that west Australians don't have much of a ex pat community on the East Coast. Firstly because the West Australian born and bred aren't a big population to begin with and Secondly they tend to stick to the West Coast for many reasons like better wages ect.
The case for a Perth team is the massive expat presence in WA from the East Coast- like the Dolphins fans you saw.
I expect to be Able to count the West Australians on 1 hand at away games on the East Coast..
Thankfully the Bears support will soften the blow.
Fair points. It will be my goal before I peg it to watch the Western Bears at every NRL stadium!