What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WA BEARS

Vlad59

Bench
Never thought about Perth being able to take Friday 600 pm est which most clubs hate

That’s a big advantage
The logical club to have a 6 pm Friday game is NZ. Starts at 8pm their time. 6pm in Sydney is 4pm in Perth. Are we really suggesting that’s a good idea?

Red&BlackBear

First Grade
Never thought about Perth being able to take Friday 600 pm est which most clubs hate

That’s a big advantage
It wouldn’t be the 6pm time slot AEST. It would be the 8pm time slot which is broadcast live in Perth at 6pm.

Eventually it should look like (AEST)
Game 1 Thursday 7:40pm
Game 2 Friday 6:00pm
Game 3 Friday 8:00pm
Game 4 Saturday 3:00pm
Game 5 Saturday 5:30pm
Game 6 Saturday 7:30pm
Game 7 Sunday 2:00pm
Game 8 Sunday 4:00pm
Game 9 Sunday 6:15pm
Game 10 Monday 7:00pm

Alternatively there could be a Saturday 1:15pm (suits NZ2 as it’ll be broadcast at 3:15pm NZST - can also suit PNG home game with away teams landing in Port Moresby in the morning play the game early arvo, leave and be home by 9:00pm same day). Saves them staying the night.

Last edited:

Wb1234

Immortal
It wouldn’t be the 6pm time slot AEST. It would be the 8pm time slot which is broadcast live in Perth at 6pm.

Eventually it should look like (AEST)
Game 1 Thursday 7:40pm
Game 2 Friday 6:00pm
Game 3 Friday 8:00pm
Game 4 Saturday 3:00pm
Game 5 Saturday 5:30pm
Game 6 Saturday 7:30pm
Game 7 Sunday 2:00pm
Game 8 Sunday 4:00pm
Game 9 Sunday 6:15pm
Game 10 Monday 7:00pm

Alternatively there could be a Saturday 1:15pm (suits NZ2 as it’ll be broadcast at 3:15pm NZST - can also suit PNG home game with away teams landing in Port Moresby in the morning play the game early arvo, leave and be home by 7:00pm same day). Saves them staying the night.
Oh yeh I was at the gym

Nein won’t want many Perth games on Friday night so it’s a non starter

Gobsmacked

Bench
Television time slots are an interesting topic to choose for Bears advocates.
Time slots no club wants and has to be evenly distributed are 6pm Friday and 8pm Thursday, neither of which the Bears will assist with. The slot they think they hold is 6pm on Sunday which in all likelihood will be when the 9th game fits and I have no idea why all clubs could play at that time except NZ but as stated, NZ fills a 6pm Friday..so..

Outside of the East coast, you pick up a time slot and loose one. It all evens itself out.

There's plenty of arguments for Perth, timezone isn't really 1.

Red&BlackBear

First Grade
Time slots no club wants and has to be evenly distributed are 6pm Friday and 8pm Thursday, neither of which the Bears will assist with. The slot they think they hold is 6pm on Sunday which in all likelihood will be when the 9th game fits and I have no idea why all clubs could play at that time except NZ but as stated, NZ fills a 6pm Friday..so..

Outside of the East coast, you pick up a time slot and loose one. It all evens itself out.

The 6pm Sunday slot has value. It’ll be the 9th game for reasons. At the current there are only 6-8 games per year which fill this spot up.

Broadcasters in particular want it as a full time time slot . The trialling of it over the past few years clearly indicate this will be the 9th game allocated broadcast time/day. Perth lends itself perfectly to it because it’s 4pm Sunday arvo local time therefore should pull good crowds as well. This alone adds to Perth’s value in comparison to a few others bids. It’s an argument that has merit.

jim_57

Staff member
I’d bet Monday night will be back, whether it’s game 9 or 10. Hopefully for game 9 they make it 3 games each Saturday & Sunday.

I’d say Monday and some other unique spots will be trialled in the lead up to the 20th team & game 10, like Saturday 1pm & 9:30pm (Perth).

Wb1234

Immortal

Their main value to tv companies is by being the bears

As a standalone team they offer very little to Fox and nothing for nine who will never show them

Red&BlackBear

First Grade
I’d bet Monday night will be back, whether it’s game 9 or 10. Hopefully for game 9 they make it 3 games each Saturday & Sunday.

I’d say Monday and some other unique spots will be trialled in the lead up to the 20th team & game 10, like Saturday 1pm & 9:30pm (Perth).
I don’t think 9:30pm Saturday AEST will ever get off the ground. It’s 11:30pm NZST and if they have 2 clubs by then there would be expectation of them paying more for more content specifically when the game has more home content. I think 9:30pm to simply cater for WA (7:30pm) doesn’t stack up vs. NZ and reasons for it not to happen.

Saturday 1:15pm has for more merit to it I would assume. The other code has a time slot roughly around the time on Saturdays and as such has a free ride with broadcasters. Fight it and slap a game there (if Monday is a no go) for game 10.

4 Super Saturday games isn’t a bad shout really.

I could be wrong and if I misinterpreted what you’re saying here then apologies in advance.

Gobsmacked

Bench
The 6pm Sunday slot has value. It’ll be the 9th game for reasons. At the current there are only 6-8 games per year which fill this spot up.

Broadcasters in particular want it as a full time time slot . The trialling of it over the past few years clearly indicate this will be the 9th game allocated broadcast time/day. Perth lends itself perfectly to it because it’s 4pm Sunday arvo local time therefore should pull good crowds as well. This alone adds to Perth’s value in comparison to a few others bids. It’s an argument that has merit.
Once again, aside from the fact all clubs can fill this spot other than the Warriors.
No club will be given 1 time slot .. there's 9 timeslots! Of which at the demands of the clubs themselves to be evenly allocated .. special consideration are made which in WA case will be the inability to fill Friday 6pm and a favouritism towards a Sunday Afternoon , probably amounts to around 3 or 4 games... out of 26.
6pm kick off isn't a problem for any East Coast team.
Basically arguing that the Bears solve a problem but the problem doesn't exist and even if it did.. that's around 15% of it.

Like I said, there's plenty of reason for a Perth team- I think it would be awesome! ( not as awesome as NZ2) but time zone isn't 1.

Red&BlackBear

First Grade
Once again, aside from the fact all clubs can fill this spot other than the Warriors.
No club will be given 1 time slot .. there's 9 timeslots! Of which at the demands of the clubs themselves to be evenly allocated .. special consideration are made which in WA case will be the inability to fill Friday 6pm and a favouritism towards a Sunday Afternoon , probably amounts to around 3 or 4 games... out of 26.
Basically arguing that the Bears solve a problem but the problem doesn't exist and even if it did.. that's around 15% of it.

Like I said, there's plenty of reason for a Perth team- I think it would be awesome! ( not as awesome as NZ2) but time zone isn't 1.
What I said is in a nutshell is Bears simply lock the 6pm Sunday as permanent fixture for game 9 and therefore have more value than other bids who can’t cater to this time slot. We know it has value because broadcasters have slapped games on this time for a few years now to gauge viewership.

What you’re saying that’s its not the be all and end all of their value is true but I argue that considering it’s in relation to broadcasting I’d say it’s more substantial than what you’re probably thinking it is.

Yes other existing clubs can service this time slot as well. 100%. But this has little to do with existing clubs as the existing 8 games time slots are what they are. It’s about adding a new one for broadcasters or in this case extending one to a permanent time slot.

Last edited:

Vlad59

Bench

Expanding to a new market and levelling up team numbers are primary considerations. The time zone is definitely a bonus though

jim_57

Staff member
I don’t think 9:30pm Saturday AEST will ever get off the ground. It’s 11:30pm NZST and if they have 2 clubs by then there would be expectation of them paying more for more content specifically when the game has more home content. I think 9:30pm to simply cater for WA (7:30pm) doesn’t stack up vs. NZ and reasons for it not to happen.

Saturday 1:15pm has for more merit to it I would assume. The other code has a time slot roughly around the time on Saturdays and as such has a free ride with broadcasters. Fight it and slap a game there (if Monday is a no go) for game 10.

4 Super Saturday games isn’t a bad shout really.

I could be wrong and if I misinterpreted what you’re saying here then apologies in advance.

I doubt the 9:30pm (7:30 Perth) would be the one that sticks but it wouldn’t surprise me if they trial it a few times to see what the ratings are like.

I personally would prefer the 1pm(ish) Saturday game to 9:30pm or Monday night but I suspect they’ll trial all 3 game maybe more in the years leading up to game 10.

Wb1234

Immortal
Fumblers don’t play on Sunday do they in Perth

And never at 4 pm ?

Would give the club an excellent exclusive time slot to get large home crowds and also tv ratings in Perth

Red&BlackBear

First Grade
I doubt the 9:30pm (7:30 Perth) would be the one that sticks but it wouldn’t surprise me if they trial it a few times to see what the ratings are like.

I personally would prefer the 1pm(ish) Saturday game to 9:30pm or Monday night but I suspect they’ll trial all 3 game maybe more in the years leading up to game 10.
You’re probably right tbh and yes agree 1pm Sat or Mon night are definitely better prospects.

Latest posts