What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WA BEARS

Perth Red

Post Whore
Different model is about the composition of the board and or bears minority ownership

Red and black bear literally posted about the arlc wanting a rep on the board before any of this was raised in the media
That makes no sense from a business case point of view, unless the Norths group are going to throw in some serious money, which so far it seems they havent been willing to do.

BuffaloRules

Coach
That makes no sense from a business case point of view, unless the Norths group are going to throw in some serious money, which so far it seems they havent been willing to do.

That has been covered off already … as suggested here they are going to put up some assets as collateral apparently

Perth Red

Post Whore
I did mention this last night …

I was going to say the clubs might be driving this … but this 20 team idea has been around over a year now
at the time I said this was an afterthought and hadnt been seriously considered by Vlandys and the ARLC. It came about 18 months ago from Politis raising the idea at a chairs meeting. It was never an ARLC led idea.

I suspect the clubs have pushed back and Vlandys hasnt been able to give them Tv value assurances of what they can sell it for. Why its taken this long and theyve wasted peoples time and money, yet again!, is a question that will no doubt get asked if that is the case.

BuffaloRules

Coach
at the time I said this was an afterthought and hadnt been seriously considered by Vlandys and the ARLC. It came about 18 months ago from Politis raising the idea at a chairs meeting. It was never an ARLC led idea.

I suspect the clubs have pushed back and Vlandys hasnt been able to give them Tv value assurances of what they can sell it for. Why its taken this long and theyve wasted peoples time and money, yet again!, is a question that will no doubt get asked if that is the case.

So they have just pushed back in the past week ?

Maybe PVL might have thought he could persuade them otherwise I spose and he had been unable to do so, and now push has come to shove and it’s time to pis or get off the pot

Last edited:

Iamback

Coach
If it doesnt happen now Cumins and Cook will walk away. Then good luck finding the money here in the future. Vlandys is playing a very high stakes game for RL in the West and a chance of a National competition. He better not screw this up!

Cumins was reluctant to publicly show interest and spend time and money bidding, I said at the time they've been burnt by NRL administration before, once burnt twice shy. Looks like he might have been right to have been reticent

And at it from the NRL point of view.

You have the player pool of a Sydney team. It would rank 3rd behind Penrith and Sharks.

The best juniors in both those areas aren't just playing against each other, There is a school v school level.

So the best kids from those areas are joining with the best from others and getting tested and improving better than going to train and play with the respective clubs against other quality players.

None of that exists in Perth right now, So on paper they'd run last and it negates the positive the side would bring

To be fair you’ve never been a reliable expert on the topic anyway. So what strikes you as unlikely is irrelevant.
No, I`m certainly not, (and really can`t be arsed) and unlike many on here who foolishly make out to be but it is an interesting topic, if not somewhat painful at times.
However my main criticism of the original post I responded to was the notion that the WA bid`s finances were "Just a few promises from business owners should the licence be awarded." That is ludicrous.

Iamback

Coach
Joining with Norths isn't going to help that.

What the NRL is doing with this forced partnership is half arsed expansion. And doing anything half arsed doesn't work.

Expansion takes risk and patience.
Melbourne was a risk and it's paid off (and they can thank Craig Bellamy and his recruitment team for that).

If the NRL aren't prepared to take that risk and have patience then don't do it all and don't waste people's time. And that includes bears fans and WA league fans.

That said, PNG is arisk albeit mitigated by being propped up by $600mill of government money.

Joining Norths itself isn't no.

The best 15 year olds playing school boy footy against other top schools will do that.

Say they do decide to go alone and bring in an SG Ball team locally, assuming they have some luck and get a few to move across.

Where are the fringe guys playing to get get quality match time?

PNG also has some sort of semi respectable footy comp going now, with the hope the changes come in.

That national comp, teams fly to play each other so there has to be some sort of finance

Perth Red

Post Whore
And at it from the NRL point of view.

You have the player pool of a Sydney team. It would rank 3rd behind Penrith and Sharks.

The best juniors in both those areas aren't just playing against each other, There is a school v school level.

So the best kids from those areas are joining with the best from others and getting tested and improving better than going to train and play with the respective clubs against other quality players.

None of that exists in Perth right now, So on paper they'd run last and it negates the positive the side would bring
yep, Ive aslways aid Perth would need to have pathways on East coast, be it in partnership with a NSw or Qlnd club.

Given Vlandys basically forced the Bears on us it cant be that is the issue. Like I said it feels like either clubs have pushed away from a 20 team comp decision and hes blaming the bids to save his own skin or he is sabre rattling trying to get more money out of the WA bid.

Where it leaves NZ2 lord only knows as I doubt they had much investment to start with.

Matt_CBY

Juniors

Have another beer.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Joining Norths itself isn't no.

The best 15 year olds playing school boy footy against other top schools will do that.

Say they do decide to go alone and bring in an SG Ball team locally, assuming they have some luck and get a few to move across.

Where are the fringe guys playing to get get quality match time?

PNG also has some sort of semi respectable footy comp going now, with the hope the changes come in.

That national comp, teams fly to play each other so there has to be some sort of finance
But the bid already has that in place, in fact Western Bears have said they are going to invest in the NS pathways, not the other way round!

BuffaloRules

Coach
yep, Ive aslways aid Perth would need to have pathways on East coast, be it in partnership with a NSw or Qlnd club.

Given Vlandys basically forced the Bears on us it cant be that is the issue. Like I said it feels like either clubs have pushed away from a 20 team comp decision and hes blaming the bids to save his own skin or he is sabre rattling trying to get more money out of the WA bid.

Where it leaves NZ2 lord only knows as I doubt they had much investment to start with.

You keep mentioning NZ2 … what’s the relevance to the WB?? All the bids will be considered on their own merits and will be unique

He has also said he doesn’t like any of the other bids which would include all the NZ bids

Perth Red

Post Whore
You keep mentioning NZ2 … what’s the relevance to the WB?? All the bids will be considered on their own merits and will be unique

He has also said he doesn’t like any of the other bids which would include all the NZ bids
because we are talking about needing 3 teams. If Perth with its NS pathways and fans, $30mill cash start up and Govt support doesn't have a business case that stacks up then where the hell does that leave the others?

Wb1234

Immortal
Maybe you should be asking why all of a sudden the arlc are making noises about wanting board rep in the team

BuffaloRules

Coach
because we are talking about needing 3 teams. If Perth with its NS pathways and fans, $30mill cash start up and Govt support doesn't have a business case that stacks up then where the hell does that leave the others?

The third new team has been suggested for 2030 or even later ..: they don’t need to decide this for another couple of years …and there is really no point to even announce it anytime soon

It also might be Brisbane 3 .. so NZ2 could be irrelevant

Wb1234

Immortal
lol instead of trolling red and black bear and actually listening to what he says you guys might understand what’s going on

Seeing Perth red panicking is kinda funny and normally I would love to feed that but there’s some good Perth people who deserve a team so I don’t wanna flame it

The push to 20 teams is locked in and will be a big selling point for tv negotiating

Perth Red

Post Whore
Maybe you should be asking why all of a sudden the arlc are making noises about wanting board rep in the team
there has been no such noise officially. Only mention on here. And again I am not against that, in fact if you go back on here you'll see early days I said it wouldnt hurt to have a NRLWA and ARLC rep on the board for the first 5 years.

This smacks of something else, not a board make up issue, a money or no 20 team issue.

Hopefully they are just doing what they did to the Aus Govt to get more out of them for PNG and doing same with WA govt, as long as its spent making the club or game stronger in WA then all good if it happens. If it forces them to walk away well then Vlandys has screwed up big time.

Latest posts