What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WA BEARS

Pippen94

First Grade
The license fee has nothing to do with security or protecting the clubs long term viability. That is what a bank surety would do. The NRl arent taking this $20mill and sticking it in the bank just in case they need it if the club falls over in a few years time. Where people have that idea from I dont know.

Yes it does. NRL have stepped in before. Preferably that won't have to, but that's the nature of western bears bid.

Pippen94

First Grade
The NRL arent the AFL, they wont be pumping resources into it to make it a glowing success. How did the Knights and Titans fair under their ownership? If I had confidence the NRl would do it properly then no issue, but nothing I've seen from them suggests they will. Not to mention they havent even made that offer lol. Their Plan B was not them owning it I can tell you that much.

why did western bears go ahead despite no intention of paying licence fee?!

Perth Red

Post Whore
Want to answer the question?
If you're asking me how do I know the concerns and feelings of WA RL fans you know the answer. We have a very active facebook group that has been running for 13 years and has lots of conversation and people expressing their opinions on it. The overwhelming majority want to see a WA owned and focused club. A few dont care and just want to see any club here. Hope thats cleared it up for you, I suspect there'll be some unwitty retort from you.

Canard

Immortal
The knights and titans were both broke

The nrl stabilised the ship (Newcastle were hugely in the red) and injected money into both clubs until they were stable and could be sold

In both cases the arl wrote off the loans made
This is arguing in favour of no licence fee.

You can't make this stuff up.

Canard

Immortal
Why are Norths getting off scott free here? And being given constant assurance they are OK, but the WA partner being smashed publicly?

Matt_CBY

Juniors
The NRL arent the AFL, they wont be pumping resources into it to make it a glowing success. How did the Knights and Titans fair under their ownership? If I had confidence the NRl would do it properly then no issue, but nothing I've seen from them suggests they will. Not to mention they havent even made that offer lol. Their Plan B was not them owning it I can tell you that much.
There is definitely no confidence in cumins

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Probably because of the arguments people are making for why the fee is required. One of the claims is that they need to pay a fee for the right to buy into the revenue. Why is the Dolphins being an established brand relevant to that?
I would suggest, and of course, none of us really know for sure, but...

1. the Dolphins have been producing first graders for RL for decades

2. they are a known quantity when it comes to their ability to run a financially and operationally successful football club

3. Another Brisbane club was in demand in a way that Perth is just not

4. Fox put up $75M to pay for them because they got more Broncos and SEQ content in general.

Matt_CBY

Juniors
If you're asking me how do I know the concerns and feelings of WA RL fans you know the answer. We have a very active facebook group that has been running for 13 years and has lots of conversation and people expressing their opinions on it. The overwhelming majority want to see a WA owned and focused club. A few dont care and just want to see any club here. Hope thats cleared it up for you, I suspect there'll be some unwitty retort from you.
I can see what’s going on in that group.

It’s not the doom and gloom and you’re portraying.

Gobsmacked

Bench
Yep, plus no WA sporting brand will penetrate the lucrative NSW and QLD market on behalf of their sponsors like an NRL team
Another thing is it's a drawback for those thinking of migrating to WA from Queensland and Nsw is the lack of an nrl team. Something WA needs is that population growth and an increase in workforce.

Vlad59

Bench
I would suggest, and of course, none of us really know for sure, but...

1. the Dolphins have been producing first graders for RL for decades

2. they are a known quantity when it comes to their ability to run a financially and operationally successful football club

3. Another Brisbane club was in demand in a way that Perth is just not

4. Fox put up $75M to pay for them because they got more Broncos and SEQ content in general.
Stop making sense. Max’s ego can’t cope

Red&BlackBear

First Grade
Why are Norths getting off scott free here? And being given constant assurance they are OK, but the WA partner being smashed publicly?
Because the WA Consortium wanted complete control over the bid. They rejected Bears people investment. They were content with using the Bears brand and IP while WA Consortium controlled all aspects of investment and finances with absolute power. It was autonomous.

Hence why there were no direct Norths involvement with the consortium from a bid team aspect. The parts of Norths mainly concerned with brand protection and usage which WA Consortium still tried to stray it miles of course from what was agreed to. Hence the disgraceful logo they proposed and which was rejected (I have posted it twice here now, taken it down. Snooze you lose).

The other aspect Norths provided was pathways and junior development via the programs and systems already in place.

WA Consortium chose to engage Freshwater Strategy to complete the bid document.

WA Consortium chose to put $0 down as a license fee.

There is a myriad of things that you can point the finger at Norths and blame them for, rightfully so. This isn’t one of them and if you paid any attention to any of the interviews with Cumins himself, that would present itself to be evidently clear.

End of the day Norths are still working with the relevant parties to make this happen. It’s a WA team for WA people and yes it does bring Bears supporters on board too.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yep, plus no WA sporting brand will penetrate the lucrative NSW and QLD market on behalf of their sponsors like an NRL team
A market that already has full exposure, wa offers a new market for existing sponsors and brands that so far has had little penetration into the wealthiest population in the country.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Another thing is it's a drawback for those thinking of migrating to WA from Queensland and Nsw is the lack of an nrl team. Something WA needs is that population growth and an increase in workforce.
That is a big motivator for the govt. we are desperate for tradies and mine workers, both sit well in the nrl demographic and WA would love to see move here.