What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WA BEARS

Gobsmacked

Bench
The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated - mark twain

Same way most clubs do now. grant +game day+ sponsorship delivers enough to operate a nrl club with a small profit In good years.
The grants are constantly increasing, salary caps are increasing, viewership is increasing, reach is increasing, television deals are increasing, crowds are increasing,sponsorship is increasing
There's a reason why there's like 12 bids..

Perth Red

Post Whore
The grants are constantly increasing, salary caps are increasing, viewership is increasing, reach is increasing, television deals are increasing, crowds are increasing,sponsorship is increasing
There’s 9 bids, only 3 of them were from investors groups with no skin in the game. Pretty underwhelming for an investment opportunity allegedly offering good returns in the future wouldnt you say?
I’d say it’s a reflection of what a weak investment opportunity it actually is, and that was before they knew they need to front up an extra $20mill initial investment!

Perth Red

Post Whore
Training ground deals, stadium deals, sponsored, roster, feeder arrangements ect.
A fully functional NRL team with everything necessary to compete in the NRL including the licence to do so.
An NRL team is worth 100 million today.
It really isnt lol. There is no evidence at all that it is Close to that, souths, one of the biggest and most profitable clubs in the nrl were valued at $46mill. Half of the dragons cost $10mill.
Maybe if your buying ownership of assets worth a lot of money but not many clubs are selling that as owned by different entities to the nrl club,

Gobsmacked

Bench
There’s 9 bids, only 3 of them were from investors groups with no skin in the game. Pretty underwhelming for an investment opportunity allegedly offering good returns in the future wouldnt you say?
I’d say it’s a reflection of what a weak investment opportunity it actually is, and that was before they knew they need to front up an extra $20mill initial investment!
The way you bag the game that you want so much is hilarious!
I'm so glad you're not getting a team. Suck eggs.

Pippen94

First Grade

You've spent the last decade telling everybody how Perth would be immediately profitable upon entering the NRL. You're current take is sour grapes, although admittedly very funny. Now who will be 18th club?! PNG, east Brisbane or the twinjets?!

Perth Red

Post Whore
The way you bag the game that you want so much is hilarious!
I'm so glad you're not getting a team. Suck eggs.
And a deflection back to the poster rather than the post. It’s ok to have different opinions and argue your point. Don’t get so upset lol I’m not bagging the game, I’m bringing some reality and facts to the nonsense that some people post.

im providing you some facts to back up my opinion. The facts are the bidding Opportunity showed there is in fact very little interest in investors buying an nrl license. Only max 3 came forward with a bid.
If it was seen as a great investment opportunity they’d have been inundated, by all means tell me why you think whats just happened doesn’t show the actual level of investment interest.

the other facts are no club, other than broncos, has come anywhere close to being valued at $100mill. one of the biggest valued itself at $46mill last year. Anther one sold 50% equity for $10mill 5 years ago. Again that’s a fact not my opinion.

Trifili13

Juniors
I don't care if the next team is in Perth or Alice Springs or wherever, but if there are 12 bids, why isn't the NRL simply evaluating the other 11 but is instead now talking to the WA govt and the Bears who were part of a bidding team that was rejected? Especially given all the positive things you noted above. Surely one of those 11 have stumped up a $20m fee or something close to that for the NRL to accept.

While alot on here want to make fun of Cumins, and in some instances it's well deserved, I can't see how the WA govt and the Bears did not also give some sort of sign off on the tender bid given that all parties have to work together to make the team a success. Only way is if Cumins went full rogue and didn't share anything with the other 2 parties, but would be too far fetched and not a good way to start a working relationship.

There are alot of unknowns in this expansion from both sides and not simply Cumins putting zero dollars so all his fault as some are suggesting.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I don't care if the next team is in Perth or Alice Springs or wherever, but if there are 12 bids, why isn't the NRL simply evaluating the other 11 but is instead now talking to the WA govt and the Bears who were part of a bidding team that was rejected? Especially given all the positive things you noted above. Surely one of those 11 have stumped up a $20m fee or something close to that for the NRL to accept.

While alot on here want to make fun of Cumins, and in some instances it's well deserved, I can't see how the WA govt and the Bears did not also give some sort of sign off on the tender bid given that all parties have to work together to make the team a success. Only way is if Cumins went full rogue and didn't share anything with the other 2 parties, but would be too far fetched and not a good way to start a working relationship.

There are alot of unknowns in this expansion from both sides and not simply Cumins putting zero dollars so all his fault as some are suggesting.
Vlandys said all bids apart from png didn’t stack up. I think we have suspected all along that perth and png would be in and club 20 would be open depending on the other 7 bids and how they stacked up and may not even be decided now unless there was something outstanding. For all the openness of the tender process I suspect the locations had been decided all along.

Trifili13

Juniors
Counter productive argument. Western Bears plan was to become profitable through competing in the NRL. Now Perth supporters saying no NRL team other than broncos is profitable.
I might be wrong, but no one said no other team apart from the Broncos is profitable. Setting aside leagues clubs, there are football clubs that are profitable now. The argument is what capex you need to set up a business and what is a reasonable time frame to get a return/money back. If it's going to take 20 or 30 years, I would suggest there are other places to put your money for a quicker return than a football club which is high risk.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I might be wrong, but no one said no other team apart from the Broncos is profitable. Setting aside leagues clubs, there are football clubs that are profitable now. The argument is what capex you need to set up a business and what is a reasonable time frame to get a return/money back. If it's going to take 20 or 30 years, I would suggest there are other places to put your money for a quicker return than a football club which is high risk.
Of course no one has, his voices in his head are talking to him again!

and that’s the crux. Unless you’re a rl tragic there’s no way you’d invest $50 mill in a nrl club start up. The roi just isnt likely to ever be there. Hence why there’s only one bid from WA of RL tragics.

Pippen94

First Grade

Two of the bids have government funding

Pippen94

First Grade

Funny, people have been saying Perth needs strong financial backing for years. Oh wait, I've been saying that!!

Pippen94

First Grade
Vlandys said all bids apart from png didn’t stack up. I think we have suspected all along that perth and png would be in and club 20 would be open depending on the other 7 bids and how they stacked up and may not even be decided now unless there was something outstanding. For all the openness of the tender process I suspect the locations had been decided all along.

Vlandys see's potential working with WA government & bears. Identity of bidders are pretty still a mystery.

Trifili13

Juniors
Funny, people have been saying Perth needs strong financial backing for years. Oh wait, I've been saying that!!
Agree, the bids need strong financial backing, no argument from me. But they don't need to be paying a sweetener of the amount being quoted to be handed over to the other clubs. If it's for a bank guarantee as security for a rainy day then would be more palatable, and returned once the NRL is satisfied that the new club has been de-risked.

Latest posts