What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

wa reds jim beam cup logistical nightmare

nqcowboy87

Bench
as the jim beam cup is a small comp that has for its entire history including the metro cup days been a sydney and surrounding areas comp and it isnt really a professional comp wouldnt having a team all the way in perth be a logistical nightmare, wasnt one of the reason the original perth team folded cause of the payments for their team to fly all the way over the nullarbor to play and that was a first grade side playing in the top comp

Quidgybo

Bench
No, the first and foremost reason the original Reds folded was the SL war that erupted four weeks into their debut season. Everything else was a very distant second. As for the logistical nightmare of the new Reds in the Jim Beam Cup, it is primarily their own nightmare and one that they are willing to deal with. Every one else has to deal with it for just one weekend each year (and even then probably only for two or three seasons before the Reds move on to a higher comp like the Qld Cup).

Leigh.

nqcowboy87 said:
as the jim beam cup is a small comp that has for its entire history including the metro cup days been a sydney and surrounding areas comp and it isnt really a professional comp wouldnt having a team all the way in perth be a logistical nightmare, wasnt one of the reason the original perth team folded cause of the payments for their team to fly all the way over the nullarbor to play and that was a first grade side playing in the top comp

the ARL are covering the travel costs. not sure if all but a good percentage.

well done colin love.

if the old Perth club hadnt gone to SL, they could still be around today.

that its the ARL helping them get back and not news ltd is the ultimate irony

Quidgybo

Bench
dallymessenger said:
the ARL are covering the travel costs. not sure if all but a good percentage.

well done colin love.

Absolutely. A wonderful example of the great good the ARL can do when it puts politics and powerbroking aside and concentrates on doing exactly what it is chartered to do - foster the growth and expansion of RL in Australia.

if the old Perth club hadnt gone to SL, they could still be around today.
Maybe, but it's no certainty. I know this has been done to death and I don't really want to start another war thread but even if the Red's had stayed with the ARL the simple fact that the war happened at all would probably have been enough to sink them. When you had clubs in RL heartlands like the Crushers and Seagulls/Chargers ending up dead and plenty of others left in mortal danger, it's hard to argue that a fledgling team on the game's furthest frontier had great prospects for survival. The unfortunate bit is that too often now we see the result of that set of historical circumstances used to draw conclusions about what is and isn't possible in today's relatively stable RL world. That the Reds ended up dead at the end of three years of war says nothing about RL's chances of being successful in places like Perth other than it's not possible when the game is in tatters. The SL war is an almost tragically painful lesson in how not to run our game but ultimately any conclusions we draw from it when it comes to strategic planning for the game's future should be always be marked with a giant asterisk.

Leigh.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Strangely enough every other sport in the country doesn't have a logisitical nightmare with having a Perth team in their comp so why should RL?

I would imagine the Sydney JB cup players are looking forward to an annual weekend in the West. The Reds players will find the travelling hard going but that is life when you live in the middle of nowhere!

It's not like we have much option. It is either this or give up all together and let RU take our best juniors.

I would imagine the Sydney JB cup players are looking forward to an annual weekend in the West.

Absolutely. As are the support staff. I have a friend who works for Cabra who is pumped to be going to Perth with the team. I understand that the ARL is providing funding for each team to take across a full squad plus conditioners, trainers, etc.

Perth Red

Post Whore
yes, that was the funding the WARL sought from the ARL to make it happen.

Pleased to say the ARL has been increasingly supportive of the WARL in recent years with increased funding for more development officers and now covering travelling funding for the Reds. Only disappointment has been no World Cup game which I think was a massive missed opportunity.

Sadly the same can't be said for the NRL who have done nothing to help the game in WA grow.

Quidgybo said:
Absolutely. A wonderful example of what the great good the ARL can do when it puts politics and powerbroking aside and concentrates on doing exactly what it is chartered to do - foster the growth and expansion of RL in Australia.

Maybe, but it's no certainty. I know this has been done to death and I don't really want to start another war thread but even if the Red's had stayed with the ARL the simple fact that the war happened at all would probably have been enough to sink them. When you had clubs in RL heartlands like the Crushers and Seagulls/Chargers ending up dead and plenty of others left in mortal danger, it's hard to argue that a fledgling team on the game's furthest frontier had great prospects for survival. The unfortunate bit is that too often now we see the result of that set of historical circumstances used to draw conclusions about what is and isn't possible in today's relatively stable RL world. That the Reds ended up dead at the end of three years of war says nothing about RL's chances of being successful in places like Perth other than it's not possible when the game is in tatters. The SL war is an almost tragically painful lesson in how not to run our game but ultimately any conclusions we draw from it when it comes to strategic planning for the game's future should be always be marked with a giant asterisk.

Leigh.

agree 100% with the bit in bold

and for 86 yrs the ARL (and nswrl) before them built the most successful RL competition ion the planet. they were so successful they attracted news ltd to it

Nuke

Staff member
Perth Red said:
Strangely enough every other sport in the country doesn't have a logisitical nightmare with having a Perth team in their comp so why should RL?
I stand up and applaud this comment.

This is the exact sentiment I've had for years. I usually use the example of the national waterpolo competition (yes, there is one!). If the national waterpolo competition can somehow include a WA team (I think they're called the Perth Sharks or something like that), then how in the world can't Rugby League?

Sure, RL spends a damn sight more on promotion, player payments, ect, but I would think that kind of 'spending : money-making' ratio would be similar to that of waterpolo. That's just a guess mind you ...

LimeTime

Juniors
cumberlandsashes81 said:
Absolutely. As are the support staff. I have a friend who works for Cabra who is pumped to be going to Perth with the team. I understand that the ARL is providing funding for each team to take across a full squad plus conditioners, trainers, etc.
LOL I wonder if ground managers are on that list ,lol :sarcasm:

KalgoorlieRed

Juniors
You'll get a few whingers who are dead set against the WAR in the JB Cup. The usual parochial selfish doomsayers with 'Sydney Only' signs at the airport!

Dallas

Juniors
thats a bit of a tough call KR - I dont think there would be one club in Sydney with that opinion, and if there was Id expect WA to come across and pump them.

If only your club played in the NSW State cup rather then the jim beam competition, then I would be on a plane to Perth!!!!

LimeTime

Juniors
Dallas said:
thats a bit of a tough call KR - I dont think there would be one club in Sydney with that opinion, and if there was Id expect WA to come across and pump them.

If only your club played in the NSW State cup rather then the jim beam competition, then I would be on a plane to Perth!!!!
give em time Dallas

shaggy

Juniors
Quidgybo said:
Absolutely. A wonderful example of the great good the ARL can do when it puts politics and powerbroking aside and concentrates on doing exactly what it is chartered to do - foster the growth and expansion of RL in Australia.

Leigh.

though it is interesting if perth had signed with the arl then the war wouldnt have happend, super league were gettin desprate before they gave the rams a spot so if perth or any of the other 7 clubs (adelaide and hunter not included) then it is highly doubtful their would have been the split comps in 97

Latest posts