What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wade Graham future

snout

First Grade
The sad irony is with cordner gone a spot opened up on the left edge. But wades nowhere near himself to claim it.
That spot was once wades in rep footy beforw he got leapfrogged by cordner. Unlike frenzy l never saw the value of this bloke. I would watch games where l didnt even know he was on the park yet was lauded - he didnt have wades crunching-cronk tackle nor his kicking game. Nor his shimmy and go. Nor his quick hands.
He had nik politis.
But kudos to him. Obvioulsy a much loved captain and a tough man
Just a weird coincidence that 2 guys competing for the same spot have both been rubbed out of the sport due their own desire to play tuff.

Mark B

Juniors
Bloke was one of the best for NSW when Qld were so annoyingly dominant. Great club player, tough and skilled. It was f**king horrible watching him on Friday night. He has accomplished everything playing and has nothing more to prove.

Poss

Juniors
Possible naive question, but why don't more people (like Wade) wear headgear?

Would the NRL ever make headgear a mandatory part of the playing kit? Why not?

Or is headgear just not effective protection at all? You would have to think that it would be better than nothing at all, especially given the latest research into brain injuries and concerns to people like WG, Boyd Cordner, Luke Keary etc

Ads

First Grade
Possible naive question, but why don't more people (like Wade) wear headgear?

Would the NRL ever make headgear a mandatory part of the playing kit? Why not?

Or is headgear just not effective protection at all? You would have to think that it would be better than nothing at all, especially given the latest research into brain injuries and concerns to people like WG, Boyd Cordner, Luke Keary etc
Headgear does nothing for concussions. There’s a study somewhere if you can be bothered looking. Pretty much just good for stopping cuts and cauliflower ear.

R-15-3

Juniors
It’s like putting an egg in a container then shaking it, it will crack.
Now wrap the container in a pillow and shake it, same thing the egg cracks.
Head gear only help physically pain and injury, does nothing for the brain

Poss

Juniors
ok cool... there you go... naive question ;)

I assume helmets worn in NFL protect the brain though? Not suggesting the NRL goes that far with it, but who knows?

Poss

Juniors
But don't bike helmets help to protect against head injuries? If not, why are they mandatory to wear? Are they for scratches and cauliflower ear? I'm being a smarta**, but isn't it the same principle?

Ozzi_78

First Grade
Helmets will stop you splitting your head open on the road. All head protection is it to limit physical injury, basically to stop you being more ugly than you are.

Nothing will stop your brain from moving or swelling after impact.

PJ

First Grade
ok cool... there you go... naive question ;)

I assume helmets worn in NFL protect the brain though? Not suggesting the NRL goes that far with it, but who knows?

As Miller said they don't. In fact there is evidence that they do more harm than good in a)players think that they have protection and play a bit more recklessly and b) players use them as a weapon. Can't be bothered searching for the references but has come up on some science podcasts I listen to.

myrrh ken

First Grade
They help in direct front on impacts. The cushioning essentially slows the deceleration of the head. However most science says it doesn't do it enough to prevent concussion.

If the head is struck at an angle, then it does nothing apparently.

I'm sure I would wear one though.

myrrh ken

First Grade
It’s like putting an egg in a container then shaking it, it will crack.
Now wrap the container in a pillow and shake it, same thing the egg cracks.
Head gear only help physically pain and injury, does nothing for the brain
But the container has to smack against something though. Maybe more accurate if its a thin pillow and you're slamming the container against a brick wall.

Your egg will stick crack

dreary

Juniors
The more appropriate analogy is the brain is the yoke inside the egg. A cushion (head gear) will reduce the chance of a cracked shell (skull) but the yoke (brain) itself still moves violently inside the shell resulting in scrambled egg.

Latest posts