What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wagss to Jim Beam Cup

oldmancraigy

Coach
The Colonel said:
Definitely convoncing however I'd rather see Wagon kept in the side and even prmoted to the starting side. However I wouldn't promote him into the forwards - I'd play him at centre and drop Ben Smith. You keep a big defensive centre in the side and I think he would be as effective if not moreso than Ben Smith at the present time.

It's possible - but i think Wagon has lost the knack of running into a gap. These last few years he's prided himself on being the 'hitman' on the opposition playmaker, and I think he's given up on the attacking side of things.

At least Big Ben runs into the gap when it's in front of him

The Colonel

Immortal
I don't think he has given it up....... I just don't think that is what he is being selected for each week. Robinson, Riddell and Ian have definitely been more effective in attack however Wagon has been brought on in the role of stopper. Earlier in the season however he was running much better in attack and making some very decent metres - with the selection of all three backrowers he hasn't been needed in that role outside of now.

JessEel

Accredited Media Releases
There's a story on Wags in this weeks Big League, about how invaluable he is to the team and how he's amongst the best defenders in the game this season.
It has some good stats too ;-)

goboggo

Juniors
I wouldn't say that Wags has to go, but it's pretty clear that we have three players who should be fighting for two spots.

Cannings in, and either Ian H, Wags, or Robbo goes.

Simple.

And Suity, great call about JT not playing favourites. Remember JT saying that he would have done things differently here last year, but his inexperience cost us? I get the feeling he might have promoted a young prop when all our regulars were injured. There was really no other spot that was contentious for us last year, considering that neither Tim and J.Smith were fit at the same time.

Suitman

Post Whore
goboggo said:
I wouldn't say that Wags has to go, but it's pretty clear that we have three players who should be fighting for two spots.

Cannings in, and either Ian H, Wags, or Robbo goes.

Simple.

And Suity, great call about JT not playing favourites. Remember JT saying that he would have done things differently here last year, but his inexperience cost us? I get the feeling he might have promoted a young prop when all our regulars were injured. There was really no other spot that was contentious for us last year, considering that neither Tim and J.Smith were fit at the same time.

I just saw that the decision not to pick Peachey was tough, but it took guts, and I applaud him for it. Picking Peachey was what everyone would have been expecting, but Taylor did what was right for the team.

There's probably only two or three NRL coaches who'd have the balls to make such a decision. Taylor is young, and already has balls the size of an elephant. Good on him.

Suity

sooperdooper

First Grade
i dont think wags should be there!
I know this sounds quite out there but what about finch to hooker and wagon to the 6...
I mean wagon can be the 'runner' of the ball we so call need in our halves....
We could play it simple...smith to do the passing and kicking and wagon to run

The Colonel

Immortal
Suitman said:
I just saw that the decision not to pick Peachey was tough, but it took guts, and I applaud him for it. Picking Peachey was what everyone would have been expecting, but Taylor did what was right for the team.

There's probably only two or three NRL coaches who'd have the balls to make such a decision. Taylor is young, and already has balls the size of an elephant. Good on him.

Suity

I question though if he would have done it last year - particularly given the "emotional" attachment he would have to a number of the players having played and coached with them for so long.

The Peachey call took balls but if they had have been good mates I doubt it would have happened.

Suitman

Post Whore
The Colonel said:
I question though if he would have done it last year - particularly given the "emotional" attachment he would have to a number of the players having played and coached with them for so long.

The Peachey call took balls but if they had have been good mates I doubt it would have happened.

Maybe, but you don't know that. Regardless, he made the decision and I applaud him for that.

Time will tell what sized balls he has.

Suity

The Engineers Room

First Grade
sooperdooper said:
i dont think wags should be there!
I know this sounds quite out there but what about finch to hooker and wagon to the 6...
I mean wagon can be the 'runner' of the ball we so call need in our halves....
We could play it simple...smith to do the passing and kicking and wagon to run

I hate the idea. We remove another creative option and replace it with a worker.

Why not fill the whole team with workhorse backrowers?

oldmancraigy

Coach
Natalie's Daddy said:
I hate the idea. We remove another creative option and replace it with a worker.

Why not fill the whole team with workhorse backrowers?

plus Wagon doesn't actually run the ball... he doesn't run support to any man (despite not doing any 'hitup work' in attack)

Hellsy

Immortal
f**k me... Daniel Wagon is an important and invaluable part of our team.

Last weeks performance is not how you judge a players ability, in fact one game on its own should never be used as the only way to look at a players ability. Our entire team didnt show up to play last Monday night, and Hindy had an absolute shocker IMO... would I drop him? Not on your freaking life!! same goes for Wagon