What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wallace can play for Scots

RLIF

Juniors
WORLD Cup organisers have cleared the way for Brisbane halfback Peter Wallace to play for Scotland without harming his future NSW and Australia selection chances.

Bravehearts coach Steve McCormack has targeted the Blues' Origin I star for the end-of-season tournament but Wallace has told his agent, Allan Gainey, he is worried about his representative prospects in Australia.

But because Wallace has yet to play for Australia and did not play in World Cup qualifiers, he is free to represent any team for which he qualifies under the grandparents rule.

"If he was to miss out on Australia and be picked by Scotland, there is nothing to stop him playing for them,'' World Cup operations manager Tas Baitieri said.

And it starts again......

Nz

Juniors
Wallace will probably never play for Australia ..

Not for a few years anyway.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
So Wallace can play Origin and play for Scotland, but Mateo can play for Tonga but not Origin.:? :roll:

Somebody get out the rule book if there is one.

roopy

Referee
Every side in the WC will be at least equal to an ESL team, and hopefully most will be NRL standard.

screeny

Bench
Is Wallace an out and out HB, or can he play hooker or stand off too? I ask because Scotland will have Brough and he's the cat's pyjamas, yet there's no way the Scots would want to leave either player off the field.

They will have a definite tactical edge in the tournament now over Fiji and France due to the range, diversity and high standards those two give them.

roughyedspud

Coach
So Wallace can play Origin and play for Scotland, but Mateo can play for Tonga but not Origin.:? :roll:

Somebody get out the rule book if there is one.

it's not right..but i think the difference is wallace has yet to play for australia yet mateo has played for tonga...i guess thats the reasoning?

it's also nice to see the "world cup organisers" are picking the scottish team for the scottish :roll:

as screeny says..can wallace play 6 or 9? cos he's got f*cks chance of ousting brough from 7...

The Observer

Staff member
it's not right..but i think the difference is wallace has yet to play for australia yet mateo has played for tonga...i guess thats the reasoning?

it's also nice to see the "world cup organisers" are picking the scottish team for the scottish :roll:

as screeny says..can wallace play 6 or 9? cos he's got f*cks chance of ousting brough from 7...

Danny Brough might excel in a Super League competition where defenses is not as good as the NRL, but Wallace is a better player. Wallace can play 6, has played 9 and 13.

PARRA_FAN

Coach

well see thats unfair for a Scottish (and I mean local) halfback who played in the qualifiers and will be snubbed by a player who's eligible under the grand parent rule.

International RL is a joke, but we can do a lot better if we enforce the rules properly. Its just a shame its been run by a bunch of clowns.

What if Thurston and Prince are still out (both have had/having surgery)...then he'll be falling over himself to play for the Aussies.

Piss off Wallace, you know damn well you aren't Scottish, you are just looking for a ticket to a nice tournament.

The Observer

Staff member
well see thats unfair for a Scottish (and I mean local) halfback who played in the qualifiers and will be snubbed by a player who's eligible under the grand parent rule.

Danny Brough played halfback in the Qualifiers, he was born in York and is English. The majority of the Scotland team are Englishmen with Scottish parents or grandparents.

screeny

Bench
Yeah, and you can't say 'Wallace, you know you're not Scottish" as by any major sport's eligibility criteria he qualifies, so he is Scottish.

However, being Scottish one year then Australian the next is where RL shoots itself in the foot.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
The fact that he's already represented NSW should already rule him out of playing for another country, but who knows what the rules are, if there is any.

hutch

First Grade
The fact that he's already represented NSW should already rule him out of playing for another country, but who knows what the rules are, if there is any.

exactly right. if he plays for scotland it is a disgrace. he wants to play for australia, and has played for nsw. the quicker we get proper rules in place and actually start enforcing them is the day we are taken seriously as an international sport. in the meantime, with players such as wallace playing for scotland and nsw and would drop them for australia if he were good enough, we will never reach our potential as an international sport. if he chose to play for scotland for the rest of his career there wouldnt be a problem, but he wont. he probably didnt even know the qualifiers were being played. the rlif need to stop looking for the quick fix and start putting actual development into these countries. this 2 year stand down period, which isnt even enforced is a disgrace.

Latest posts