What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wallace - Goneskies?

badav

Bench
Reading your team lineup this week it figures that wallace has been dropped??

Cant really blame penrith though just like i didnt blame benny for dropping Hodges for signing with the roosters.

Does anyone know if a mid season transfer is a possibility?? It seems like it may be in both parties best interests.

The Teach

Juniors
I'd say given he's been named out of position in PL as well (centre), he is certainly on the outer. But I don't think even Panthers management would be silly enough to grant him a mid-season transfer (or would they?) given we play you guys in a couple of rounds mate.

gcbronco

Juniors
I'm with badav,as a Broncos supporter it doesn't really bother me that Penrith have chosen that path, your entitled to look after your future and thats what we tried to do with Hodges by giving Tate a chance, didn't that go well lol.

Good luck with your replacement this week hope he does well.

The Teach

Juniors
Thanks gc. Blair as been our gun player in PL all year, so I have no doubt he will handle the job well.

Big Mick

Referee
its not in Penrith's interests to release him.

Stuff him...why help the club he is going to?...If I was Penrith i'd stick him in PL and keep him there.

Dave Q

Coach
Dont give Wallace out cheaply Panthers.

Id be asking for a "loan" of Hodges as compo for any mid season transfer.

With a bit of luck, Braveheart, he'll end up in the clydesdales.

Kilkenny

Coach
Personally I am pleased for Bob Blair.

He has been patient and has improved considerably since joining us at the beginning of the 06 season.

I tend to agree with Big Mick in that I am concerned he does not have a kicking game but none the less give him a crack and lets see what he can do.

While I am sure Matt Elliot has NOT given up all hope of a top 8 position we have done nothing to suggest we are remotely capable of winning 8 from our last 11.

Sadly, now is as good a time as any to start preparing for season 2008.

BxTom

Bench
Just remember that although I don't like the idea of Wallace being allowed to leave, it may free up some salary cap if we are chasing other signings?

Tom.

EzyG

Juniors
just heard on 2GB his manager has asked for a release.

& that release is rejected...

rejected...

rejected...

I don't have a written source as of yet, should be 1 in the papers today.
to be continued

Black Majik

Juniors
If he has had the majority of his contract paid out shouldn't we stop any mid season transfer. Particularly if we are not going to be compensated by Brisbane. As Dave says with Hodgo or Civo.

Smiley

Bench
0,,5532445,00.jpg

HALFBACK saviour Peter Wallace could join Brisbane as early as next week with club officials last night manoeuvring for his immediate release from Penrith.
Wallace, 21, has signed a two-year deal to join Brisbane from 2008, but with 10 days remaining before the June 30 cut-off date he is eager to join the NRL merry-go-round by immediately linking with master coach Wayne Bennett and the defending premiers.

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,21934750-5003409,00.html

If you release him he would have to take a paycut and play for about $50,000.

abpanther

Staff member
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,21933973-5006066,00.html

Penrith stand firm on Wallace

June 20, 2007 12:00am

DEFIANT Penrith officials last night said they would refuse to release five-eighth Peter Wallace to Brisbane despite sacking him from first grade.

Having agreed to join the Broncos next season, Wallace dramatically lost his spot to youngster Maurice Blair for Friday night's clash with the Warriors. Another pivot, new signing Richie Williams, was named on a five-man Panthers bench.

"If he wants to go and a deal can be done, he should be allowed to go,'' Wallace's agent Allan Gainey told The Daily Telegraph last night. "The bloke they've bought (Williams) is not even there so they can't say they're still going to use him or whatever because they've got another reserve there.

"The initial approach from Penrith was, 'Oh no, we'll still need him'. But I think there is a clause in the contract that says a player has to perform to his best endeavours and if he does he expects to be picked. But that is obviously not the case here.''

Gainey said he didn't "think it could possibly be the case'' that Wallace had been dropped on form.
Brisbane chief executive Bruno Cullen said he could accommodate Wallace immediately.

But Panthers general manager Mick Leary said: "There's no way in the world we'll be releasing him. As far as we're concerned 'Bob' Blair's been out injured, he's back now and the coach has selected 'Bob' Blair.''

Asked the reason Wallace had been dropped, Leary said: "That's the coach's prerogative. It's his decision and I support him.''

Cullen said: "If he was released - and that's a big if - then I don't think there'd be a problem. It's not a cap issue.''

But after speaking to his client late last night, Gainey said Wallace seemed willing to "stick it out'' despite a "kick in the teeth''.

Elsewhere, Bulldog Ben Roberts has been restored to first grade despite his drink-driving misdemeanour at the weekend. Willie Tonga also returns from a stand-down against Manly on Friday while Sonny Bill Williams has escaped his latest off-field misdemeanour with his spot intact.

The Sea Eagles have Steve Matai back. Steve Menzies was named on the bench.

Gold Coast's Preston Campbell (knee) returns against Newcastle on Saturday night. The Knights have Kade Snowden at prop for Josh Perry (hamstring).

Luke MacDougall (triceps) is part of a six-man Knights bench.

Nathan Hindmarsh will captain Parramatta against Sydney Roosters on Saturday night in the absence of Nathan Cayless (hand).

North Queensland have named Jason Smith on the bench.

There is no way id allow wally to go to brissy early after all what happends if our new 2 first choice 5/8ths get injured and we make the finals we can always throw wally a bone.

Good luck to blair and dont worry about his kicking game the boy will bring the goods.

The Rhino

Juniors
Reading the articles, it appears that Wallace's manager, and not Wallace, is having a dummy spit about his bloke playing Premier League. Why doesn't he continue in that way and advise his client to sit out the season and move to Brisbane now?
While surprised Wallace has been dropped to Premier League and even more surprised to see him name as centre, I honestly think this (Wallace's dropping) has nothing to do with his signing with Brisbane. Obviously, at the moment, he is not performing as the coach wants him to (neither are most of the team, for that matter) but the coach has made some changes and he happens to be one of them. If he is fair dinkum, he make the coach eat his words, play out of his skin for the next few games where the coach has no choice but to select him in first grade. That's what a fair dinkum footy player would do, not carry on.
For the last few years, we supporters (and several players in the lower grades) have whinge and moaned when on continuous losing streaks, the coaching staff have constantly selected the same blokes week in week out. Now, we have a coach prepared to make some changes in an effort to get the team moving forward and some (especially some players) are prepared to shoot him down if they don't get what they want.

*Sandy*

First Grade
"If they want me to make a formal application [for a release] I will. He's performed his part of the deal so I think if he wants out he should be allowed out because they have shown that he is not wanted. It's got nothing to do with form because he's been their best player all year." - Allan Gainey
You have to be kidding me, 3 games ain't all year Gainey!!! He's inconsistant at best.

With Panthers coach Matt Elliott making little secret of the fact that Wallace's dumping was related to his decision to quit the club for the Broncos next season, the 21-year-old playmaker's manager Allan Gainey said there was little point in him staying put.
Can someone show me proof of this? Where does he get this information from?

If it's all about money then I can't see Wallace going... plus if he has been paid most of his contract then he should remain with Penrith. That's fair.
"We would certainly be interested in having a chat with him about coming earlier than expected," Cullen said. "I'm not sure how much we could pay him under the cap we have left - although I would imagine he has been paid most of his contract for this season. I'm not sure if Penrith would be keen to release him."- Cullen

badav

Bench
The Rhino said:
Reading the articles, it appears that Wallace's manager, and not Wallace, is having a dummy spit about his bloke playing Premier League. Why doesn't he continue in that way and advise his client to sit out the season and move to Brisbane now?
While surprised Wallace has been dropped to Premier League and even more surprised to see him name as centre, I honestly think this (Wallace's dropping) has nothing to do with his signing with Brisbane. Obviously, at the moment, he is not performing as the coach wants him to (neither are most of the team, for that matter) but the coach has made some changes and he happens to be one of them. If he is fair dinkum, he make the coach eat his words, play out of his skin for the next few games where the coach has no choice but to select him in first grade. That's what a fair dinkum footy player would do, not carry on.
For the last few years, we supporters (and several players in the lower grades) have whinge and moaned when on continuous losing streaks, the coaching staff have constantly selected the same blokes week in week out. Now, we have a coach prepared to make some changes in an effort to get the team moving forward and some (especially some players) are prepared to shoot him down if they don't get what they want.

I dont blame the Panthers for dropping Wallace.

But dont pull the wool over your eyes. If the coach wanted the best team on the park he would have punted overpaid Gower and Priddis ages ago. Ive watched most of the Panthers games this season and Wallace has contributed alot more to your team than both of them combined.

Also is it true that the Panthers club did not make Peter Wallace an offer to stay?? If so how can he be blamed for signing with another club, i am curious to know.

murraymob

Coach
Instead of looking at Wallace maybe we should be praising Blair .He has earned his shot and can play several positions if injury happens during the game.Wallace has had 2 good games this year we are in last place .Changes had to be made even if they are geared towards next year

Latest posts