What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wally story on ACA

As a New South Welshman, I used to loathe Wally Lewis, especially during State of Origin, but always respected him for the way he played League.

Last night's episode of ACA increased that respect.

Toughness personified.

Vicious

Bench
I`m a New South Welshman through and through and like most others I used to hate Wally Lewis at State of Origin time, but he was a true legend. In my honest opinion he was a more dominant footballer than Andrew Johns, no ifs and buts about it.

Bigfella

Coach
Mike Munro aked him a question on This is Your Life and his respose was just jumbled jibber. It was really sad watching it. They edited this part out of the actual show that went to air.

And yet many on the same network have based entire careers on that sort of display.

Mark Geyer comes to mind. In fact, Mike Munro also comes to mind.

ANyway, his illness is not funny.

BTW I am the world's greatest Brett Kenny fan, and I wouldn;t be saying that EBrt owned Wally.

They both had their moments. Two of the greatest ever. Bert was nott he sort to dominate as a playmaker. He would strike with sublime skills, either putting someone away or doing it himself.

Very different character from Joey and the King.

But Wally and Bert both rated each other as the best, so that tells you something about them both.

Hope he copes with this situation, because he was always a tough bastard.

Brutus

Referee
Newcastlerabbit said:
I dont think State of Origin has been the same without The King and Bert,two absolute greats of the game.

I must agree. Origin was certainly at its peak in the 80s with regards to playing talent and characters. Wally was at the top of the tree but there were many worthy players just below.

Wally was a hero to many and he proved it again in the ACA story on Monday night.

miccle

Bench
Nullajet said:
Can someone tell me how many premierships Wally won with his team in the toughest competition? I believe it to be 0

Brett Kenny not only won them, he was double tryscorer a couple of times. Kenny was the best 5/8th in the best competition and if you all care to check the results of NSW v Qld when Lewis and Kenny wore the 6....NSW won the majority!!

Langer also won and captained 4 premiership winning teams in the 90's, but how many people would say that makes him better than Joey? f**k, some INCREDIBLE players of our game have never won a premiership, you dolt... it's a team sport FFS. Why should it matter whether a player wins 0, 1, 2 or 23 premierships? They sure as hell can't do it by themselves.

eels_fan_01

Bench
miccle said:
Langer also won and captained 4 premiership winning teams in the 90's, but how many people would say that makes him better than Joey? f**k, some INCREDIBLE players of our game have never won a premiership, you dolt... it's a team sport FFS. Why should it matter whether a player wins 0, 1, 2 or 23 premierships? They sure as hell can't do it by themselves.

I have to agree with that, what does it matter how many premierships they have won.

Although Johns is the best player ever.

miccle

Bench
eels_fan_01 said:
I have to agree with that, what does it matter how many premierships they have won.

Although Johns is the best player ever.

I'd personally have Wally one higher, but absolutely cannot dispute anything as long as they are the top two named!

For the record, too - I should add that in no way would I put Langer above Johns in any "best of" lists. Seeing Joey dominate Origin 1 in 2003 in the flesh was absolutely incredible - I'm too young to remember seeing Lewis really do it back in the day, but no one should ever doubt Joey's amazing talent.

Green Machine

First Grade
What about the time Pricey called Wally soft. I have never seen a sportsmen treaded with such hatred by crowds in Sydney. The only time I can remember a NSW crowd applauding a Wally Lewis lead Queensland team was the second state of origin in 1989. What about the fat prick, running diagonally across field dummying inside and out, past Chris Mortimer, up to Jimmy Jack, still dummying inside and out and then accelerating around Jimmy to score. Slowest try in the history of state of origin but the best,

lewis > kenny.

kenny was a good player, lewis was great.

what he did at origin counts for lots, and had he come to manly earlier in his career and dominated id put him before johns.

failing that its johns first, then lewis then daylight.

when lewis played origin he dominated nsw on his own. a team that kenny played in

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Reading this debate it just sucks I wasn't really old enough to see any of them play.

Remember when i was collecting Footy Cards in the early 90s I thought Kenny was superman when i turned his card over and he had 100+ tries.

Nullajet

Juniors
miccle said:

Dolt? Thats a bit haaarsh!

I get what you're saying...better than you know..I am a sharks fan so I REEEEALLY know about the non-winning of GFs.....and my all time fave is ET...so I am not saying that winnning GFs is the B all and end all.......BUT you are al saying how he DOMINATED...........well if thats the case how is it he wasn't able to play week in and week out in the sydney comp and dominate enough to get his team to a GF??......Likewise opposed to Kenny directly in origin, he couldnt dominate enough to win those particular games.

Definately different styles of players.....I just think Bert was more consistent in his great from on a yearly basis. (and yes I am also well aware of the amazing side Bert was a part of during his years....the Broncos teams wally played in werent too shabby though either)

State of origin memories are one thing but dont forget its just 3 games he has to lift for while the rest of the players had the toughest comp in the world to contend with every week on top of the big rep games.

I am well aware that I am in the minority with this opinion but its the way i see it.

On another note...dont you think it would have been more inspiring had Wally been public with his epilepsy during his great years to show others with the same affliction what can be acheived?

It was a great story and he is inspirational but geez it was a little over done in the drama dept.

miccle

Bench
Nullajet said:
Dolt? Thats a bit haaarsh!

I get what you're saying...better than you know..I am a sharks fan so I REEEEALLY know about the non-winning of GFs.....and my all time fave is ET...so I am not saying that winnning GFs is the B all and end all.......BUT you are al saying how he DOMINATED...........well if thats the case how is it he wasn't able to play week in and week out in the sydney comp and dominate enough to get his team to a GF??......Likewise opposed to Kenny directly in origin, he couldnt dominate enough to win those particular games.

Definately different styles of players.....I just think Bert was more consistent in his great from on a yearly basis. (and yes I am also well aware of the amazing side Bert was a part of during his years....the Broncos teams wally played in werent too shabby though either)

State of origin memories are one thing but dont forget its just 3 games he has to lift for while the rest of the players had the toughest comp in the world to contend with every week on top of the big rep games.

I am well aware that I am in the minority with this opinion but its the way i see it.

On another note...dont you think it would have been more inspiring had Wally been public with his epilepsy during his great years to show others with the same affliction what can be acheived?

It was a great story and he is inspirational but geez it was a little over done in the drama dept.

Mate, the Sydney comp was probably the BEST QUALITY comp in the world. I've got no doubts the Brisbane comp, during those days, was AT LEAST as tough, if not tougher.

I do know what you're saying, but what's your point? The likes of Dally Messenger et al. are regarded as the best the game has seen, but he wasn't playing against the sort of opposition that today's guys play against, week-in week-out. The guys today are FAR bigger, fitter and more professional. Maybe the likes of ALL of our immortals would get absolutely hammered if they took the field today. Does that detract from their achievements? Hell no!

I think it's pretty much a moot point, when it gets down to it. Gets down to the old apples and oranges of comparing between eras and competitions.

miccle

Bench
Nullajet said:

And yes, completely agree with you here. Like everything ACA does, overdone and with too much advertising. Would've preferred to see Australian Story take it on.

Brutus

Referee
miccle said:
And yes, completely agree with you here. Like everything ACA does, overdone and with too much advertising. Would've preferred to see Australian Story take it on.

Yes, yes, yes, although with Wally being a Channel 9 employee...

Nullajet

Juniors
actually.....that would have been a much better idea....the Australian Story series are top class and would have delivered the same story in a more 'real' light...and given it the tastefulness it requires..as they always do

yeah for sure..the whole argument is a moot point..just one of those ones that are fun to discuss but rarely.....hell never get resolved.

Its almost wrong to rank the players....just say this is the top 30 in no particular order.

Pigskin

Juniors
Nobody in this thread is giving the BRL of the 80's the credit it deserves. It was a small step behind the NSWRL at the most in those days. The only thing the NSWRL had on its side in those days was poker machines. They were banned in Qld at the time.

We would get big crowds to Lang Park for the match of the round, and crowds at suburban grounds that were more than reasonable.

This crap about the toughest comp around. A great portion of league fans in Brisbane still say the day the Broncos were born is one of the blackest days in QRL history. I wouldn't go that far, but it has merit.

Guess what Blues, Qld dominated Origin in the 80's ... and where were the majority of players playing at the time ? In the BRL. Deal with it.

Wally is the greatest I have seen, by some space too.

As for Brad "over 300 games of average footy played" Fittler being number 3 ... don't get me started.

Oink !

-Dr.J-

Juniors
How manmy different articles can they make with Wally walking along the beach staring out into the ocean wistfully?

Pigskin said:
Nobody in this thread is giving the BRL of the 80's the credit it deserves. It was a small step behind the NSWRL at the most in those days. The only thing the NSWRL had on its side in those days was poker machines. They were banned in Qld at the time.

We would get big crowds to Lang Park for the match of the round, and crowds at suburban grounds that were more than reasonable.

This crap about the toughest comp around. A great portion of league fans in Brisbane still say the day the Broncos were born is one of the blackest days in QRL history. I wouldn't go that far, but it has merit.

Guess what Blues, Qld dominated Origin in the 80's ... and where were the majority of players playing at the time ? In the BRL. Deal with it.

Wally is the greatest I have seen, by some space too.

As for Brad "over 300 games of average footy played" Fittler being number 3 ... don't get me started.

Oink !

Brisbane did have a great comp.King,Mal Meninga,Bryan Niebling,Greg Dowling,Wally Fullerton- Smith,Greg Conescu,Gene Miles,Bob Lindner,Colin Scott,Mark Murray,Rohan Hancock all played for Australia whilst still playing for Brisbane Clubs.I would love to know how Wynumn Manly afforded so many stars in the early to mid 80's.

Latest posts