What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wally story on ACA

Danish

Referee
Wally probably has a book out in the coming weeks....

Saw Joey boost his sales by making a "shocking" announcement and wants a piece of the action.

KniGhTs BaTTLeR

Juniors
His tried every hair regrowth product out there but nothing works and it's putting a strain in his marriage and personal life, his wife is ready to leave him.

miccle

Bench
Nullajet said:
wally does not deserve to be up so high.....he NEVER played in the toughest competition week in and week out....it is an insult that he is higher than Brett Kenny who did just that and won grand finals and had the better of Lewis when he oppposed him at 5/8 th in the origins!!'

Wally is a legend but he is over rated because he never put himself in the week in week out grind of the best comp in the world.........for me meninga has it over him as well in that regard!

:lol:

I can't remember Joey stringing more than about six games together before another injury during his career, so it could really be argued he never took part in the "week-in, week-out" grind in the NRL ;-)

perverse

Referee
miccle said:
:lol:

I can't remember Joey stringing more than about six games together before another injury during his career, so it could really be argued he never took part in the "week-in, week-out" grind in the NRL ;-)
what an unsubstantiated, baseless and false load of horsesh*t :lol:

;-)

miccle

Bench
perverse said:
what an unsubstantiated, baseless and false load of horsesh*t :lol:

;-)

Yeah, pretty much! :cool:

The biggest load of horsesh*t, however, is saying that Wal didn't deserve to be up there just because of the time in which he played. Personally, I'd have swapped the first two around (as would most Qld'ers), but I've got no dramas with Joey taking out the top spot, as long as The King rounds out the top two.

_Johnsy

Referee
you have a crappy memory, dont let the maroon glasses cloud your judgement. IMO Joeys record and longevity does not take away in any way shape or form from the greatness that is Wally.

1993 - 3 games, started in 0 games.
1994 - 21 games, started in 21 games.
1995 - 23 games, stared in 23 games.
1996 - 18 games, started in 18 games.
1997 - 11 games, started in 9 games.
1998 - 26 games, started in 26 games.
1999 - 22 games, started in 22 games.
2000 - 23 games, stared in 23 games.
2001 - 21 games, started in 21 games.
2002 - 22 games, started in 22 games.
2003 - 16 games, started in 16 games.
2004 - 3 games, started in 3 games.
2005 - 16 games, started in 16 games.
2006 - 22 games, started in 22 games.
2007 - 2 games, started in 2 games.

http://www.marathonstadium.com/2007johnsd.php

RainMan said:
Wally reveals that he really is a New South Welshman through n through.

And he is also revealing his secret past affair with Mark Geyer and how he is sad its over and he really misses him.

:cool:

Brutus

Referee
Nullajet said:
wally does not deserve to be up so high.....he NEVER played in the toughest competition week in and week out....it is an insult that he is higher than Brett Kenny who did just that and won grand finals and had the better of Lewis when he oppposed him at 5/8 th in the origins!!'

Wally is a legend but he is over rated because he never put himself in the week in week out grind of the best comp in the world.........for me meninga has it over him as well in that regard!

Wally won 3 comps and kicked arse for the Broncos in the 2 years he played there injury-free.

Kenny couldn't even make the Blues number 6 jersey his own. If he was that good he would have been selected at 5/8 every game.

Brutus

Referee
Some pretty heavy footage of Wally having seizures on air.

It was sad to see.

The great news is he is free of those problems now. He actually played much of his career with epilepsy.

sydraider

First Grade
Brutus said:
Wally won 3 comps and kicked arse for the Broncos in the 2 years he played there injury-free.

Kenny couldn't even make the Blues number 6 jersey his own. If he was that good he would have been selected at 5/8 every game.

The NSW selectors at the time were the dumbasses who kept putting kenny in the centres. Wally Lewis himself has even said how happy qld were whenever Kenny was playing in the centres.

Kenny pwned Lewis.

Brutus

Referee
sydraider said:
The NSW selectors at the time were the dumbasses who kept putting kenny in the centres. Wally Lewis himself has even said how happy qld were whenever Kenny was playing in the centres.

Kenny pwned Lewis.

Still didn't mean he got the better of him.

Why don't you watch the games?

Wally owned Kenny, just not as much as he owned every other opponent he came up against.

The King was the King

Kenny was just Kenny.

innsaneink

Referee
Brutus said:
Some pretty heavy footage of Wally having seizures on air.

It was sad to see.

The great news is he is free of those problems now. He actually played much of his career with epilepsy.

So it was about his epilepsy?
Wasnt he reading sports news on bris TV when he had to ''go public '' with it?
Just wondering how could a seizure be filmed, yet nothing be done to help?

Brutus

Referee
innsaneink said:
So it was about his epilepsy?
Wasnt he reading sports news on bris TV when he had to ''go public '' with it?
Just wondering how could a seizure be filmed, yet nothing be done to help?

A different sort of seizure. Mike Munro aked him a question on This is Your Life and his respose was just jumbled jibber. It was really sad watching it. They edited this part out of the actual show that went to air.

Brutus

Referee
He never owned him, just played better than him overall. Kenny had his moments though.

Wally owned Terry Lamb and Cliffy.

gcbronco

Juniors
Not all seizures are alike, I myself have a form of epilepsy that is different to Lewis's and when I have a seizure I enter an unconcious like state and can violently shake for a number of minutes and when I come around I have no recollection of what happened during it, only what happened prior to it. I'm lucky in that mine can be managed with medication, allowing me for as normal a life as possible and do not require brain surgery as Lewis did to get a chance at it.

I have even more respect for him as a player and a person, knowing that he has fought it right through his career and now.

Nullajet

Juniors
Can someone tell me how many premierships Wally won with his team in the toughest competition? I believe it to be 0

Brett Kenny not only won them, he was double tryscorer a couple of times. Kenny was the best 5/8th in the best competition and if you all care to check the results of NSW v Qld when Lewis and Kenny wore the 6....NSW won the majority!!

Kenny was a casualty of his own versatility in the rep games...

I am not arguing that Wally is not a legend..or that he doesnt deserve to be in the top 10...but the fact remains he never pitted himself against the best in the best competition. He dominated in the 3 games a year that he played.

In my opinion Bert deserves a higher ranking.....but hey..I am aware that is just my opinion.

nqboy

First Grade
Brutus said:
A different sort of seizure. Mike Munro aked him a question on This is Your Life and his respose was just jumbled jibber. It was really sad watching it. They edited this part out of the actual show that went to air.
He did a similar thing while reading the news one night that I saw and I think it was reported that it had happened once before.

Don't watch the show but the papers today read that he contemplated suicide because of depression after his surgery. Good to see more people talking about depression, it will help remove the stigma and encourage victims to seek help.

Latest posts