What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wally wants QLD and NSW in world cup

GB already splits into several sides. It would be nice to find a way to split NZ into two as well.

Just look at the Samoan and Tongan teams for this WC - NZ is already split. If these teams do well, it will encourage more NZ (& Aust) born Samoans and Tongans to play for their heritage country.

hellteam

First Grade
Why did they split from Great Britain anyway. And can someone enlighten me to whether Scotland etc is a country..... because I was sure they're not.

They don't compete seperately in the Olympics.... why do they in soccer rugby etc ?????

roughyedspud

Coach
scotland is'nt a country? go to glasgow and say that :lol:

and GB was split up to help drive development in wales,scotland & ireland

deluded pom?

Coach
Why did they split from Great Britain anyway. And can someone enlighten me to whether Scotland etc is a country..... because I was sure they're not.

They don't compete seperately in the Olympics.... why do they in soccer rugby etc ?????

They compete at the Commonwealth games as Scotland. Most sports will have an England/Scotland/Wales/N.Ireland team but to compete in the Olympics they come together to create a G.B & N.I team that will very rarely play outside of the Olympics.

Instead of putting SOO teams into a WC (what kind of stupid idea is that, anyway) just add NZ and a Pac Islands Barbarian team to the Origin tournament and make it a 4-way.

This would drive development in the Pacific, make NZ a stronger team and give Pac Islanders another reason to declare for Samoa/Tonga/PNG and Fiji.

Cheezel

Juniors
Bad idea Wally!!!

It's taken the RLIF 8 Years to bring the WC back.

NSW & QLD have there place in the RL calander. Changing this successful format might back fire!

The England team that's comming out is stronger then the GB team that was in AUS during the 2006 Tri-Nations. That same team beat AUS in Sydney!

So Wally.....England and New Zealand on there day can beat Australia. Looking at the Aussie team I don't think it's as strong as some Aussie teams we have had in the past few years.

Wally should look at the big picture and be saying.......The RLIF must continue to provide meaningful internationals for these teams after the World Cup. Then we would see less changing between nations.

Calixte

First Grade
What a farce.

You are meant to be representing your country, not state, in a world cup.

Get over it. :lol:

It is one person's "opinion" (refer below).

Agree with the earlier comments re- the article. No name. Probably pushed it on the King who is a bit doddery in front of the mic at the best of times...

(Although a truly great footballer...)

As I said earlier, ask this question of the King in his playing day, he would have growled at you and told you to stop being a bloody wanker....

:lol:

Perth Red

Post Whore
There are NO players playing for Ireland or Scotland that would have made a GB squad so England have not been diminished at all.

I agree about the ridiculous treatment of Tonga. Seems if you are a big 3 team you can do what you like but god forbid an upstart should want the rules flexing in their favour!

Chaos

Juniors
Most people want to see a top of the line rep tournament with all the top players available.
The State of Origin only allows Australian players and we can only field 17 Australian players in an International game..
But if you looked at the top 100 players in the world...over half would be Australian players, making it hard to include the best playing against the best.

I'd rather see the 'State of Origin' introduce International teams.

typicalfan

Coach
There are NO players playing for Ireland or Scotland that would have made a GB squad so England have not been diminished at all.

I agree about the ridiculous treatment of Tonga. Seems if you are a big 3 team you can do what you like but god forbid an upstart should want the rules flexing in their favour!
They missed out on Tupou. So what?

Chaos

Juniors
no, clearly you need to explain your idea as it makes no sense in its current form.

Although that could be your 12 year old English capabilities.

What we would like to see a tournament that consisted the same intensity as the State of Origin but introduce other teams...One suggestion is to allow NZ to enter the State of Origin...would you consider other teams as well?

FMD. State of Origin in State of Origin, this in INTERNATIONAL football. That means Australia is represented by Australia. How f**kin hard is that to accept? What's more, international football is better than Origin anyway.

Chaos

Juniors
FMD. State of Origin in State of Origin, this in INTERNATIONAL football. That means Australia is represented by Australia. How f**kin hard is that to accept? What's more, international football is better than Origin anyway.

I'm looking forward to the world cup and it is a great honor to play for your country but State of Origin shows the toughest and best quality Rugby League.

A state is a political association with effective sovereignty over a geographic area and representing a population. These may be nation states, sub-national states or multinational states.
(Wiki)

brendothejet

First Grade
I'm looking forward to the world cup and it is a great honor to play for your country but State of Origin shows the toughest and best quality Rugby League.

A state is a political association with effective sovereignty over a geographic area and representing a population. These may be nation states, sub-national states or multinational states.
(Wiki)

Wally's idea was dumb.

You are going beyond.

So when we have this amazing tournament of yours exactly who do the people of Victoria, South Australia, Western Australia, Tasmania, The Northern Territory and the ACT follow????

Considering you've removed australia and replaced it with two of the states why the hell should the rest of the place watch.

International football is much better than state of origin.

Unfortunately it is also more effort for channel nine and foxtel so they play it down.

Latest posts