What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wally wants QLD and NSW in world cup

westie

Bench
This shows the stupidity of most RL people at the moment. Why the f**k would you want to watch a team with less than half the level of ability go around?

Calixte

First Grade
Frankly, if say someone from New Zealand had put that to the King in the build-up to the 1988 RLWC Final in Auckland, he would have torn them a new one.

His current response worries me a little...

Loudstrat

Coach
There has never been many brain cells in his thick head.

Having said that, I'd back California in Olympic swimming. Reckon Man U might do OK at the FIFA world cup too. Love to see a one day international between Petersham and Tassie.

NSW would be happy if QLD wasn't part of Australia - we'd get to keep our taxes in our own state!

hellteam

First Grade
NSW would be happy if QLD wasn't part of Australia - we'd get to keep our taxes in our own state!

And QLD would be happy if NSW wasn't part of Australia - we wouldn't have to put up with your players playing in our team!

I really doubt if Wally actually said this. I think it would have been more of him saying it would be more competitive if this was the case (cause it would be obviously) but then the reporter latching onto it and saying he would prefer it.

***MH***

Bench
NSW and QLD do not have a place in a world cup tournament. I would rather see them cup up against Great Britain when they tour Down Under in the future though.

JoeD

First Grade
While I don't agree with this, it is no different the GB splitting up its teams. Scotland and England are not countries any more than NSW and QLD are.

LordLeague

Juniors
While I don't agree with this, it is no different the GB splitting up its teams. Scotland and England are not countries any more than NSW and QLD are.
It is very different.

Wally was probably taken out of context.

There was no name on the story which is a tell-tale sign of this being a very dubious "agenda" article. Brace yourself for more of this garbage over the next few weeks.

If Wally did say those things, it is very disappointing. He should know better.

There's nothing worse than legends of the game trying to convince themselves that they are still relevant by sprouting garbage just to get their name in the papers.

LordLeague

Stupid idea. This would make the Aussies teams stronger rather than weaker. The Qld and NSW SOO teams would smash all the others teams and make a joke of the WC with a Qld v NSW final.

IanG

Coach
Also what would the eligibility criteria be? Same as State Of Origin or would you become eligible to play for Queensland cuz your Grandfather was born up there

Matterhorn

Juniors
GB was split up in 1995 & 2000 without any fuss.

Besides GB is at least 90% of the England side anyway so in no way is it making them weaker.

I seem to recall NSW v QLD finished a few months ago.

This is a different stage Wally.........

The Tank

Bench
:lol:

What kind of rock have you been living under?

2005 TriNations Final
NZ def Aus 24-0

2006 TriNations Final
Aus def NZ 16-12 after the best game of RL ever played (2 halves of GP)

England have come across in leaps and bounds, France have a professional team for the first time. Tonga have plenty of NRL talent.

This will be far from a one-sided affair. I'm putting $20 on England to win it at $7, shall be interesting if I have to cheer for them whilst wearing my Roos jumper :lol:

Best game ever. I saw the highlights of it on Fox Sports Extra and even knowing the result, I was on the edge of my seat. Love it!

Shorty

Staff member
This idea is not suited for the WC.
But it does have some merit for a series every now and then I dunno..

roopy

Referee
I've put this idea before.
It would even out the comp, and if you are worried they would both make the final, put them both on the same side of the draw so it couldn't happen.

If international league is always going to be a joke because Australia is too strong, do something about it, and NSW and Qld are already sides with a massive profile and following.

The only time Aus should play is against GB and NZ is in tri-nations.

GB already splits into several sides. It would be nice to find a way to split NZ into two as well.

We would very quickly have a tournament with a dozen credible teams.

Nz

Juniors
Its de-grading for the other teams regardless if they win or lose, Wally Lewis has lost my respect.

JoeD

First Grade
Roops, that sounds like a good tournament, just not one I would call a World Cup.