What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wally's statue painted blue

gunnamatta bay

Referee
:lol: Statue of Wally Lewis painted blue
  • June 14, 2006 - 6:54AM

A statue of Queensland rugby league great Wally Lewis has been painted blue ahead of the State of Origin clash.
The bronze statue, at Lang Park in Brisbane, was given a new look after vandals painted on dark blue shorts, a light blue jersey and socks to make the former Queensland State of Origin captain look like a NSW player.
The word "NSW" was also scrawled across a shield which the statue of Lewis hoists above his head.
The vandalism comes ahead of the State of Origin decider at Brisbane's Suncorp Stadium.
Queensland is already one down in the 2006 series after a 17-16 loss in the opening game in Sydney.
Police said no complaint about the vandalism had yet been made, and police would not investigate unless to do so by stadium management.
Bottled water has been used to wash down the statue, given tough Level Three water restrictions which came into effect across most of south-east Queensland on Tuesday.
Lewis, dubbed the Emperor of Lang Park, enjoyed a career which spanned three decades and is regarded by many as the greatest rugby league player of the modern era.
His statue was erected at the southern end of the stadium in 1992.
© 2006 AAP :lol:

mightybears

Bench
and a remarkably professional job, socks, jersey, shorts light and dark blue etc

hopefully they covered their face and had non distinctive clothes, as the area is covered by CC cameras

Meanie

Juniors
Pffft, if New South Wales are so powerful and dominant surely they shouldn't need to resort to sh*t like this.

borat

Bench
I hate to be a conspiracy theorist and all but on the eve of a game that has been completely overshadowed by the world cup, Wallys statue is painted, Tv cameras show up providing a huge publicity boost and the statue is washed clean all with bottled water. Awfully good of them to use water based paints. All done by the time morning TV broadcasts have finished.

the kirwan kid

Juniors
The cockroach b@stards shouldn't be here in the first place.

Here's a question for the NSW folks - if QLD's so inferior in so mnay ways - as people have been saying over the years - why do you all keep moving here or come here on holiday?

F#@k me, I wouldn't go to NSW on holidays or live there if I thought it was sh*te (which I do)

In a few years you'll see real QLDers moving to NQ to get away from you lot.

There was a time when you couldn't buy a NSW jersey in QLD ... those were the days!!!

innsaneink

Referee
the kirwan kid said:

Here's a question for the NSW folks - if QLD's so inferior in so mnay ways - as people have been saying over the years - why do you all keep moving here or come here on holiday?

F#@k me, I wouldn't go to NSW on holidays or live there if I thought it was sh*te (which I do)

There was a time when you couldn't buy a NSW jersey in QLD ... those were the days!!!

Yeh 2001.....the good old days, half a decade since you won a series. :lol:

Remember when the Qlders played for NSW in the early days....only a backward state would allow such a thing.:crazy:

borat

Bench
the kirwan kid said:

As we now own lang Park we may as well take the rest the joint off your hands. Its not too late to hop on the bandwagon Kirwan and purchase one of those blue jerseys.;-)

Davester

Juniors
borat said:
As we now own lang Park we may as well take the rest the joint off your hands. Its not too late to hop on the bandwagon Kirwan and purchase one of those blue jerseys.;-)

:lol:

innsaneink

Referee
r90653_270046.jpg

Blue_Statu_m1246755.jpg

willvillain

Juniors
borat said:
I hate to be a conspiracy theorist and all but on the eve of a game that has been completely overshadowed by the world cup, Wallys statue is painted, Tv cameras show up providing a huge publicity boost and the statue is washed clean all with bottled water. Awfully good of them to use water based paints. All done by the time morning TV broadcasts have finished.

Good theory. I didn't think about it at first, but when you put it like that it looks far more obvious.

Either way. If it was just a bunch of crazy Blues fans, then that's awesome. But if it was a publicity stunt to raise the profile of the match, then that's awesome as well.

All in all, I had a good laugh and it's bound to make the QLD fans a bit more pissed off!

What they've said all these years is true I guess. NSW have no pride in the NSW jersey. Else why give it to Qld's #1 origin player.

Qld fans wouldn't give any blue the honour of being painted maroon. :)

Inferno

Coach
The most hilarious part was that it happened the day after the level 3 water restrictions kicked in so they couldn't hose him off. HAHAHAHA

kirwan kid said:

You have got us all wrong mate, no NSW person hates Queensland, they love it, the weathers better, lifestyle's more laid back and the petrol is cheaper. The only problem with the state is that its full of f*cken Queenslanders!