What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Walsh signs for 2 years

Whats Doing

Bench
Great news. I still would like some insurance in case of injuries and buy an up and coming quality half/five eigth. I don't see Karawana as being that effective.

Bicey_18

Bench
All this Naiqama talk sounds like we have signed both Wes and his bro Kevin ? Saints fans are so sure its the case and some of our fans r 2..

Serc

First Grade
We have Dureau as backup half or 5/8 as well :)

We don't need any more backs now...a lot of these signings are going to be playing in PL for their entire contracts!

keeney

First Grade
Yeah I'd agree, but this is what Smith does, at least we'll be a good PL side.

AusKnightRKO

First Grade
PL Doesn't exsist next year does it? And signing Lukey Is great....now just for a good centre and another prop and ill be satisfied

Yosh

Coach
yeah good news, about to watch the game now. Pretty excited as you guys are talking him up so much!!

GOOD NEWS

Pumba

First Grade
Johns's 'successor' extends contract

NEWCASTLE Knights halfback Luke Walsh capped a whirlwind weekend by signing a two-year contract to remain at the Knights.
Less than 24 hours after making his debut in the Knights' 22-18 win over Sydney Roosters at Gosford, Walsh secured his future at the club, turning down approaches by rival NRL franchises including the Bulldogs and the Sharks.
Walsh, 20, is being groomed as Newcastle's halfback replacement in the post Andrew Johns era but until last night his career had been stalled by injuries preventing him from making a debut sooner.
He suffered a slight concussion in the courageous victory but is hopeful of continuing his first grade career in the coming weeks and playing alongside New South Wales halfback Jarrod Mullen, who missed Saturday night with a calf tear.
Newcastle is hopeful it can build a future around Mullen at five-eighth and Walsh at halfback, a positional option the Knights may field next week against Wests Tigers if Mullen is left out of the NSW Origin side named on Tuesday.
In a week in which it was revealed up to 10 Newcastle first graders had been told to look elsewhere, Walsh had been concerned the Knights could also be shopping for a new halfback.
But as speculation linked him to other NRL clubs, his manager Todd Buckingham said Newcastle assured Walsh that he was its first choice No.7 and a deal was almost immediately completed.
"The Knights came back and gave him what he wanted and we got the deal done," said Buckingham.
"We were never particularly worried about it, he just wanted to know the club's not chasing anyone else and he was their first option at halfback."
It was Walsh's first full game of rugby league in almost 10 weeks and Buckingham said he'd have to be monitored in the coming weeks as was yet to return to full fitness.
"I don't know whether that took a fair bit out of him," said Buckingham.
"He was only running properly on the Thursday before the game.
"That was his first full game for 10 weeks.
"He's not had a good preparation so we'll have to see how long he can hold it up for."
Source: Fox Sports

Good News :)

Serc

First Grade
AusKnightRKO said:
PL Doesn't exsist next year does it?

Good point, anyone know if there is an open comp to sorta replace PL next year? I know about the U20's comp. Or are all our PL guys going to play in the local teams...

If so, can you imagine half of our backline signings playing in the local Newy comp next year? lol

Or do I have no idea :p

roopy

Referee
daveserc said:
Good point, anyone know if there is an open comp to sorta replace PL next year? I know about the U20's comp. Or are all our PL guys going to play in the local teams...

If so, can you imagine half of our backline signings playing in the local Newy comp next year? lol

Or do I have no idea :p
no one knows what will happen.
I'd like to see us use the local comp - but i suspect that is just me.

Big Mick © said:
1. Kurt Gidley, 2. Wes Naquama, 3. Luke MacDougall, 4. James McManus, 5. Akuila Uate, 6. Jarrod Mullen, 7. Luke Walsh, 8. Jason Ryles, 9. Danny Buderus, 10. Danny Wicks, 11. Cory Paterson, 12. Steve Simpson, 13. Kirk Reynoldson
14. Kade Snowden, 15. Mark Tufua, 16. Jacob Ling, 17. Terrance Seu Seu

Not bad...young but will be good in time.
Yeah thanks Big Mick. Good luck to us keeping it under the cap though in seasons to come. Patterson will be in my opinion the most damaging forward in the game in a couple of years. He is an awesome athlete. Mullo and Walshy won't be playing together forever cos both will cost a motza to retain ie. one or the other. Uate is potentially the most lethal backline player this club has ever produced. Tahu has nothing on this kid in terms of speed. When he gets going all I can say is watch out. his speed and strength combined are the most complete I have seen since tuquiri or wendell. Add Wes Naiqama to that and the knights are going to rip some team's a new one next season. I tip us to be premiers in the next 3 seasons.

Ben

Bench
I think Smith has really been building this team up very nicely. He is giving a lot of the Flegg players a taste of first grade and most seem to be handling it nicely, so really he has no option but to cut some of the already established stars. Plus he has plenty of money to recruit and we are going to hopefully see some big players coming to the club, which is something we haven't seen in ages. Everything looks to be coming along nicely.

nickdemonknight

Juniors
I'm pretty sure that earlier this year I heard Dennis Fitzgerald say that the NSWRL would still be running premier league next year, but not Flegg because of the under 20's competition.

Whats Doing

Bench
Whilst due respect to others, we cannot have three 21 year olds (Mullen, Walsh, Dureau) andf expect to win the title next year unless we have some insurance with some more experience. The competition is unforgiving and with injuries etc we need some back up with some first grade experience around the halves. Whilst theres is no doubt potential, the week in and week out grind of the NRL will require some experience in these critical positions.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
I can see what you're saying, but by the same token, the only way these young blokes are going to get experience is by getting experience. Asking to win the competition in the next two or three years could be asking a little bit too much of them, but from the one game I saw of Walshy on Saturday, combined with how he's played Flegg (although its a different competition and grind on the body obviously) he has left me with little doubt that his combination with Mullo/Bedsy/Kidley is one to be excited about.

roopy

Referee
Walshy certainly isn't overawed with firstgrade.

I still worry he will be broken in half - but all the skill and vision he has been showing for 3 or 4 years is on display in firstgrade from game one.

If we could put that brain in Riley Brown's body we would have our new Joey.