What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

War at the Shore 2010

yakstorm

First Grade
I know the tournament is still two weeks away, but I was curious to find out if the fixtures for the event have been confirmed yet?

I'm just curious to see what 'additional' sides might be taking part this year. As most of us know, the Canadian's are planning to enter a side, but I was surprised to read a Chicago team was also looking to enter (Source: http://www.midwestrugbyleague.com/)

Are they the only two 'extras'? Any chance the Bucks County Sharks could make an appearance?

photomarv

Juniors
Yakstorm.. The Bucks County Sharks have disbanded. Most of their players have signed on with Philly and/or other clubs.

I know the tournament is still two weeks away, but I was curious to find out if the fixtures for the event have been confirmed yet?

I'm just curious to see what 'additional' sides might be taking part this year. As most of us know, the Canadian's are planning to enter a side, but I was surprised to read a Chicago team was also looking to enter.

Are they the only two 'extras'? Any chance the Bucks County Sharks could make an appearance?

joshreading

Staff member
After visiting the chicago - mid west site they are certainly going. Flights booked.

Creating new leagues across the country in time is so crucial. I have to admit my surprise at no one else putting their hand up in the Florida area (atleast to play friendlies or move towards a southern conference) With the growing profile of the Axemen surely some Union club has considered it.

Footyhead2

Juniors
After visiting the chicago - mid west site they are certainly going. Flights booked.

Creating new leagues across the country in time is so crucial. I have to admit my surprise at no one else putting their hand up in the Florida area (atleast to play friendlies or move towards a southern conference) With the growing profile of the Axemen surely some Union club has considered it.

The biggest challenge to recruiting teams in FL, and elswhere in the country, is games are played in mid-summer with very high humidity.

Rampart66

Juniors
Will a logo and colors be unveiled also? It'll be great to have another large market in the league. I'll imagine that there will be a home & home against Pittsburgh next season.

Chicago Saints

Juniors
Logo and colours will follow later. As for next season, it is too early to speculate. We are just concentrating on WAS XIII for the meantime.

A New England Immortals combination will be the last team added to WAS. http://ow.ly/i/2QLr

That makes 10 teams and five games. This NE "rep" side will play Canada while Chicago will play Northern Raiders. Hopefully this will mean some competitive games.

cardiac

Juniors
It's going to be tournament style.

Each game is 30mins.

Game One - NY Knights v Philadelphia Fight
Game Two - Aston Bulls v Boston 13s
Game Three - CT Wildcats v Washington
Game Four - Canadian Mounties v New England Immortals
Also featuring - Chicago Stockyarders v Norther Raiders (7s)

Winners go on to later rounds, while losers get a 2nd chance.

cardiac

Juniors
Also, Bucks County Sharks played a game against New York Knights last Friday night, since Raiders forfeited. Knights won, but Sharks are still alive and kicking!

Chicago Saints

Juniors
Taking an 8 man squad is more related to cost. It is cheaper to take a squad of 8 than 17. That's the bottom line with this decision - we just don't have the funds to take more players. We could have raised a larger squad and have had plenty of interest locally - but then guys have to pay their own way and when you don't have anything more permanent or solid than a one off tournament this year it is difficult to persuade guys to commit to that. It is a situation that we are reviewing for future years.

yakstorm

First Grade
Still an amazing effort Chicago Saint to get a team (of any size) to commit to a tournament like War at the Shore.

Hopefully for your players, one of the AMNRL or even Canadian sides can head across to Chicago and play a full 13 on 13 game later this year or next year to help build momentum.