What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Waratahs Target Anasta

t-ba

Post Whore
Waratahs target Anasta

Waratahs target Anasta
By Peter Jenkins
June 26, 2004

BULLDOGS star Braith Anasta is the next rugby league target as the NSW Waratahs resume the search for a match-winner to fill their five-eighth hotseat.

Braith Anasta...played rugby as a teenager.

Sources revealed that within hours of Andrew Johns turning down an offer to join the Super 12 franchise, the Waratahs had installed Anasta as their next major priority.

The NSW Rugby Union is also confident the Australian Rugby Union would be on board, unlike in their chase for Johns when the national body refused to provide top-up funds and the Waratahs were forced to go it alone.

While Anasta is under contract until the end of next season, NSW officials deny that moves to have him cross codes before his existing deal with his NRL club expires qualify as the impossible dream.

They are working on a theory that the Bulldogs may be interested in letting him go to ease the club's salary-cap pressures.

"He's definitely in the frame, definitely being looked at for next year," said a NSW official.

Anasta, 22, has a rugby union background, having played the game from ages 10 to 16 in the Randwick juniors with Coogee. Wallabies centre Morgan Turinui, a Clovelly product, played alongside Anasta in age group representative sides.

"When we started, I was halfback and he was five-eighth," Turinui said last night. "I moved to the centres a couple of years later. But we were in the same Randwick rep team. And he could play. Braith had a good pass, was good on defence and was a really good decision-maker.

"I know that was a long time ago but you don't lose a lot of those skills. He quit rugby when he was 17 but he was always a standout at that age. I think he played Sydney under-16s."

On the basis of Anasta's age and his history in the game, the Waratahs are confident the ARU would agree to outlaying financial support in any chase for the star.

NSWRU chief executive Fraser Neill openly admitted the Waratahs would continue to cast their net wide for players, including those in the rugby league ranks.

"We've always gone on the basis that it's a professional sport and we find the best players to fill the positions we need filled," Neill said.

"Obviously if it's like for like in union and league you go for the union guys.

"We're doing a lot of work to expand our academy structures so in the long term we're not placed in these positions and our players will be coming out of union ranks."

Until then, Waratahs coach Ewen McKenzie will run his eye over any other potential recruits.

"We're in the process of fine-tuning our squad for next year and that involves hard decisions and bold decisions," McKenzie said.

"We'll keep going. I've been out looking and talking to people so that continues regardless.

"I'll just keep that process going until I'm happy with players. But we're not just looking at [five-eighth]. We're looking at other positions as well."

Saint 60

Juniors
??? dont tell me weel have to watch Anasta on telly for the next 10 years also

lol

-----------------------------------------------
L J Hooker your the best

t-ba

Post Whore
My sentiment-You can have the Overgrown Crybaby. What is it with Rugby Juniors and whinging about not making the blues? Him and Ryan Cross seem to think they should immediately be granted the Sky Blue...thank god they haven't cheapened it (yet. Damn that Cross and his purple patch!)

BuffaloRules

Coach
They can have Anasta, I don't think you will see any meetings with Channel 9 and News Ltd to save him....

I think that Karmichael Hunt will become a big target for Union.....

Hope League has him signed up for a few years...

"Hey Braith! Yeah man, hows things? So listen, we unfortunately missed out on one of rugby league's greats after trying to do everything in our power to get him, we were offering him over $1 million too! But anyway, we think you're a great talent, so much so that we're using you as a last resort after exhausting every other possible avenue, especially since we have sweet f**k all talented players of our own to develop........... what do you say?!"

brenno

Juniors
i might be in the minority here but who really cares? It's not as if rugby is targeting lockyer and he is seriously considering it. Braith's a good young player and the nrl should look to keep the young talent in rugby league. However, league will certaintly not suffer if braith decides to jumpship. If it starts happening on a regular basis that rugby league's great young talents are switching codes than i think more people will start to take notice then it should become a major concern. Until then joey johns, anasta, fui fui moi moi .... who really cares? League will survive

t-ba

Post Whore
brenno said:
i might be in the minority here but who really cares? It's not as if rugby is targeting lockyer and he is seriously considering it. Braith's a good young player and the nrl should look to keep the young talent in rugby league. However, league will certaintly not suffer if braith decides to jumpship. If it starts happening on a regular basis that rugby league's great young talents are switching codes than i think more people will start to take notice then it should become a major concern. Until then joey johns, anasta, fui fui moi moi .... who really cares? League will survive

Well, In Braiths case, I doubt you are a minority :lol: . Bye! Can you take that Divisive Uncle of yours and his poisonous wife with you to Waratahs HQ?

axl rose

Bench
brenno said:

NO WAY you are not in minority at all. Even the other players dont rate Braith. Correct me if im wrong but didnt he come second in RLW most overated player poll? I think he was just one vote behind Hodges. He was also second behind Fitler one year.

:lol: fui fui moi moi? no more jokes plz Anasta was enough of a laugh. He is a solid first grader but not a superstar. Those Rah Rahs would have been better off going after Matty Orford if they wanted to win some games. Obviously they are just after the publicity a player can bring rather then talent.

axl rose

Bench
t-ba the hutt said:
brenno said:

Well, In Braiths case, I doubt you are a minority :lol: . Bye! Can you take that Divisive Uncle of yours and his poisonous wife with you to Waratahs HQ?

:lol: somehow i think she would have them running scared. Uncle Rah Rah Piggins sounds good to me.

axl rose

Bench
I Bleed Green said:
"Hey Braith! Yeah man, hows things? So listen, we unfortunately missed out on one of rugby league's greats after trying to do everything in our power to get him, we were offering him over $1 million too! But anyway, we think you're a great talent, so much so that we're using you as a last resort after exhausting every other possible avenue, especially since we have sweet f**k all talented players of our own to develop........... what do you say?!"

He says well I have sweet f**k all talent myself so ill fit right in. Show me the money!

If a tree falls is the woods....does anyone hear it?

If Braith Anasta wasnt playing Rugby League for the Bulldogs.....would anyone notice it?

Go The Dolphins

Juniors
i got an idea for these Toffs in their tweed jackets how about they go to their little elite private schools and develop their own juniors

Lang Park

Juniors
Go The Dolphins said:
i got an idea for these Toffs in their tweed jackets how about they go to their little elite private schools and develop their own juniors
Anasta was a union junior ;-) ,send him back there.

salivor

First Grade
They can have him, the Rugby League production line has already replaced him with Justin Hodges as the new most overated player in the game.