What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warne v Waugh

Shane Warne’s whinge about Steve Waugh just doesn’t add up
fe5193cc2e10abcf99e4759d27cec82f

Rob Sutherland, News Corp Australia Network
December 31, 2016 8:18am
fe5193cc2e10abcf99e4759d27cec82f

SHANE Warne hopped on the bully pulpit of the Channel 9 commentary team to have a whinge yesterday — but the statistics prove a lie to his claims.

Warne claimed to be was baffled when Australian captain Steve Smith didn’t bowl off-spinner Nathan Lyon as the dramatic Boxing Day Test entered its final session.

“I don’t understand why Nathan Lyon isn’t on,” said Warne, during a lengthy rebuke of Smith. “I’m sure everyone sitting back at home can’t understand why either ...”

Warne suggested Smith is simply not a fan of spin bowling, saying “it’s almost as though he doesn’t want Nathan Lyon to take wickets”.

“Steve Smith is more of a fast bowler’s captain as well, a bit like Steve Waugh and Ricky Ponting. They were more into the fast bowlers than anything else as well. Especially Steve Waugh. He wanted to bowl first all the time as well. Fast bowlers, fast bowlers, fast bowlers. Spinners were an afterthought.”

Warne’s longrunning feud with Waugh stems from Waugh’s decision to drop the leg spinner from the Test side in the West Indies in 1999, and the Sheik of Pique rarely misses an opportunity to stick the boot into his old skipper.

However, Warne’s claim that Waugh favoured fast bowling over spinners just doesn’t survive a look at the statistics.

For comparison sake let’s put Warne’s numbers up against fast-bowling great Glenn McGrath. Both were matchwinning bowlers, both played in the same teams under the same captains.

WARNE

Under Mark Taylor as captain: 79 innings, 2006 overs or 25.3 overs per innings

Under Steve Waugh as captain: 72 innings, 1607 overs for 22.3 overs per innings

Under Ricky Ponting as captain: 67 innings, 1639 overs for 24.5 overs per innings

MCGRATH

Under Mark Taylor as captain: 78 innings, 1580 overs for 20 overs per innings

Under Steve Waugh as captain: 94 innings, 1844 overs for 19.6 overs per innings

Under Ricky Ponting as captain: 50 inns, 1001 overs for 20 overs per innings

The ratio of overs bowled per innings under the three captains remain remarkably consistent, which leaves one to draw the following conclusions:

1. Maybe Mark Taylor, a fellow Nine commentator, considered spinners an afterthought too but Warnie wasn’t keen to take a swipe at someone who could actually defend themselves on air.

2. Maybe Warne didn’t really think before he spoke.

3. Maybe Warne just tried to shoehorn his longrunning gripe with Waugh into the commentary because he’s a tad precious.

4. All of the above.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...p/news-story/fe5193cc2e10abcf99e4759d27cec82f

Stupid plastic f**k.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Hard to compare spinners overs and fast bowlers overs. A spinner is always going to have a bigger workload.

But plastic head will take any opportunity to have a go at waugh or anyone else he's got a petty, schoolgirl type gripe against.

typicalfan

Coach
Ricky Ponting was definitely not a good captain for the spinner. He didnt set great fields.

Steve Smith is similar with his fields to Ponting. The difference was when Ponting had Hauritz, although he was a pie thrower and was set awful fields, he always had Pontings support, unlike Lyon who always appears to not have the captains support.

Steve Waugh had the best bowling attack in the world, pace and spin and made the most of it. Warne is just boring.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
I thought the criticism of Smith bowling haze and starc after tea was pretty over the top. Starc is a match winner and lyon just isnt. Lyon bowled well to go through the Pakistani middle order but who would the Pakistani tail rather face starc with the ball reversing or lyon ?

He probably bowled starc an over too long in the first spell but remember haze did get azhar after tea.

At the end of the day it was starc who won us the match and smith was largely right and warne wrong

some11

Referee
His agendas are so transparent I wonder if the producer has to get in his ear and tell him to shut the f**k up every now and then.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Ricky Ponting was definitely not a good captain for the spinner. He didnt set great fields.

Steve Smith is similar with his fields to Ponting. The difference was when Ponting had Hauritz, although he was a pie thrower and was set awful fields, he always had Pontings support, unlike Lyon who always appears to not have the captains support.

Steve Waugh had the best bowling attack in the world, pace and spin and made the most of it. Warne is just boring.

I dont think they could be much more different.

Punter was ridiculously defensive, he'd be down to one slip after about 10 overs. Yesterday we saw Smudger set 3 slips for most of the day except late when he had 4.

I think they are very different as no one is as defensive as Punter was.

typicalfan

Coach
I dont think they could be much more different.

Punter was ridiculously defensive, he'd be down to one slip after about 10 overs. Yesterday we saw Smudger set 3 slips for most of the day except late when he had 4.

I think they are very different as no one is as defensive as Punter was.

Definitely Punter would miss a trick quite a lot. Smith is very aggressive by comparison but both set less than great fields to spinners. I think Ponting was a bit better as a man manager he took quite a few players under his wing while Smith is still learning.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Definitely Punter would miss a trick quite a lot. Smith is very aggressive by comparison but both set less than great fields to spinners. I think Ponting was a bit better as a man manager he took quite a few players under his wing while Smith is still learning.
Ponting was handed the key's to a Ferrari and handed over Clarke a Datsun 180b, probably the most overrated captain of the modern era.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Like we needed anymore proof at what a bitter, pathetic agenda driven plastic piece of shit Warne is.

Waugh continues to show his class by not responding to the clown.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Ponting was handed the key's to a Ferrari and handed over Clarke a Datsun 180b, probably the most overrated captain of the modern era.

The retirement of some of the greatest players ever during pontings captaincy played a bigger role than anything ponting did.

The only players to play 50 tests or more who debuted after Warne and mcgrath retired is Warner, haddin, Johnson, siddle and Lyon (and smith on the 3rd)

Hardly mcgrath, warne, Hayden, Gilchrist, etc

Latest posts