What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warren Ryan takes up coaching role at Canberra

Glen

Bench
Raider_69 said:
2007 cant come quick enough

We've gone from having the most pedestrian coach in the comp - Elliott, two have two master minds of the game on board
Neil Henry is a mastermind of the game? He might turn out to be a good first grade coach but I think you're getting ahead of yourself a little

Mal Meninga

Bench
He's meant to be a distant advisor, I really don't think he'll be massively influential in the Henry era, but he will have an input here or there, which is important in a young first grade coach's career.

He's already singled out the need to find a quality half to replace Jason Smith, ideally I hope one of our fine juniors will take the positions, but if their is a man to listen to, its Wok.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Glen said:
Neil Henry is a mastermind of the game? He might turn out to be a good first grade coach but I think you're getting ahead of yourself a little

maybe...probably... but more knowledgable men then i have labelled him one of the smartest footy brains going around today, and the Wok IS one of if not the best footy brain in the business... thats good enough for me

richie8u

Juniors
Mal Meninga said:
He's meant to be a distant advisor, I really don't think he'll be massively influential in the Henry era, but he will have an input here or there, which is important in a young first grade coach's career.

He's already singled out the need to find a quality half to replace Jason Smith, ideally I hope one of our fine juniors will take the positions, but if their is a man to listen to, its Wok.

what will he come up with next??? maybe we should just call him captain Obvious

Patorick

Staff member
Sorry for the bump.

Just wanted to share these quotes from David Morrow on Wok:

You’re mates with Warren Ryan. What’s the genesis of his feud with (the late) Peter Frilingos from The Mirror days?
In 1981, Newtown had had a good win. In those days, press conferences were held in the dressing sheds, with everyone standing around, drinking beer. In fact, as soon as you walked in the door, they gave you a beer. So there was this group of journos gathered around Warren, who asked, “Is Peter Frilingos here?” And Chippy went forward as if he was going to get acknowledged in front of his peers. And Warren said to him, “You should be worried, Peter, because some dickhead who knows nothing about football is writing idiotic things, and he’s putting your name to it.” They’ve had it in for each other for years. Warren’s never respected him and never respected the News Ltd papers, though he does respect some of their journos and he’s written a column for The Courier-Mail for years.
Do you think the News Ltd papers give him a fair go?
You’re joking! Put it this way, Warren had won consecutive grand finals in ‘84 and ’85. The Daily Mirror had huge, eight-page grand final lift-outs for both years; all the players, the moments, ratings, etc. And Warren’s name didn’t appear once in either year. For the same reason he was never mentioned as a coach of the year. It’s because some people at News Ltd didn’t like him.

http://www.insidesport.com.au/is/features/1010-david-morrow-02.htm

Yeah.

Didgi

DUAL premiership-winning coach Warren Ryan has agreed to take up a consultancy role with Canberra next season, giving incoming coach Neil Henry one of the sharpest minds in the game to work with.

Have to admit you got me here... Was rushing for the Cowboys website to find out why he was leaving before I thought to check the date.

Latest posts