What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warrior Mateo's blast at old tribe

chanticleer

Juniors
FELETI Mateo fired a parting shot at his former club by claiming that there was deep disharmony between Parramatta players and top-ranking Eels officials.

On the same day his new club, the Warriors, were drawn to host the Eels in round one next season, Mateo said players often felt like they were never supported by senior management and questioned the swift sacking of former coach Daniel Anderson.
"It never seemed like management were on the same page as the players, and I'm not too disappointed about leaving because of the way management was," Mateo said.
"There was no connection. You'd think management would do more to make players happy, but it was a case of, 'do your best'. The board sacked Ando, but how can you go from making the grand final to not making the semis and then get sacked?
"Was it all his fault?

"There are a lot of people at the top at Parramatta who nobody points the finger at. Time will tell if Ando was the problem or it runs deeper."
Mateo said he was forever stunned by leaks of private player meetings and only felt obliged to speak out because his former Eels teammates were not in a position to do likewise.
"They can't say anything, and I don't blame them, because the club's paying their bills," Mateo said.
The gifted ballplayer added new coach Stephen Kearney would do well, but hoped not "too well" given the round one draw.
Parramatta chief executive Paul Osborne last night said the relationship between officials and players "was more open than it was with previous managements" and wasn't aware of any disharmony.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...ast-at-old-tribe/story-e6frexnr-1225935666545

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/nrl/warrior-mateos-blast-at-old-tribe/story-e6frfgbo-1225935666545

Warrior Mateo's blast at old tribe

* Christian Nicolussi
* October 08, 2010 12:01AM

FELETI Mateo fired a parting shot at his former club by claiming that there was deep disharmony between Parramatta players and top-ranking Eels officials.

On the same day his new club, the Warriors, were drawn to host the Eels in round one next season, Mateo said players often felt like they were never supported by senior management and questioned the swift sacking of former coach Daniel Anderson.

"It never seemed like management were on the same page as the players, and I'm not too disappointed about leaving because of the way management was," Mateo said.

"There was no connection. You'd think management would do more to make players happy, but it was a case of, 'do your best'. The board sacked Ando, but how can you go from making the grand final to not making the semis and then get sacked?

"Was it all his fault?

"There are a lot of people at the top at Parramatta who nobody points the finger at. Time will tell if Ando was the problem or it runs deeper."

Mateo said he was forever stunned by leaks of private player meetings and only felt obliged to speak out because his former Eels teammates were not in a position to do likewise.

"They can't say anything, and I don't blame them, because the club's paying their bills," Mateo said.

The gifted ballplayer added new coach Stephen Kearney would do well, but hoped not "too well" given the round one draw.

Parramatta chief executive Paul Osborne last night said the relationship between officials and players "was more open than it was with previous managements" and wasn't aware of any disharmony. He said the club wished Mateo well.

bartman

Immortal
I've read heaps of posts on here from the usual suspects blaming DA alone for Feleti leaving, and not the management...

Seems like Feleti in his own words has nothing bad to say about DA, but did want to give our management/Board a serve? Interesting ;-).

Forever stunned by leaks of private player meetings.... and some people here would have us believe that DA was the key factor in our players' low morale in 2010?

Interesting indeed.

El Diablo

Post Whore
hmmmm

can't see why he'd lie

not sure how Ossie knows about previous management and players

born an eel

Bench
have to like a person who calls a spade a spade,
I hope he plays up to his salary level and wants to come home when things settle down in the front office

Eels Dude

Coach
So after rumours of a rift between Mateo and DA, now Mateo comes out in support of DA and says the issue is at board level. If his comments are anything to go by then I bet a lot of other current players feel the same. You can't have a club where there is a strained relationship between officials and players. You do not have to do too much, but leaking of private player meetings should be the most simple thing the board should prevent.

bartman

Immortal
My guess is when they leaked Cayless's retirement, the players completely lost faith in the "administration".

And rightly so too. Bring on the elections, and some better candidates.

"Was it all his fault?

It was the players fault too Feleti.

El Diablo

Post Whore
My guess is when they leaked Cayless's retirement, the players completely lost faith in the "administration".

And rightly so too. Bring on the elections, and some better candidates.

the apologists will be along defending them in not too long

lucablight

First Grade
Still can't believe we let Mateo go. I keep hearing the line that he supposedly plays one good game a year but if you look at the stats he was one of the best Eels players in terms of metres gained and offloads all year. In fact his stats are superior to Horo who everyone agrees had a great year. People have such short memories as well. He was one of the Eels most consistent players in 07 and 08 and he was one of the Eels best in the charge to the grand final last year. I'd like to know how the doubters explain the stats he racked up for this year?

http://www.nrl.com/telstrapremiersh...erid/444/season/2010/feletimateo/default.aspx

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
This is just the beginning of the rupture being exposed by the players. Just remember what Jack Gibson said about everything starts at the top.....!!!!

Good bye 3P, and if the hearts of the Eels is strong it will be goodbye Stephen Kearney and the reinstatement of Daniel Anderson too.

This board would completely ruin a child's birthday party, they are so terrible.

Eels Dude

Coach
Still can't believe we let Mateo go. I keep hearing the line that he supposedly plays one good game a year but if you look at the stats he was one of the best Eels players in terms of metres gained and offloads all year. In fact his stats are superior to Horo who everyone agrees had a great year. People have such short memories as well. He was one of the Eels most consistent players in 07 and 08 and he was one of the Eels best in the charge to the grand final last year. I'd like to know how the doubters explain the stats he racked up for this year?

http://www.nrl.com/telstrapremiersh...erid/444/season/2010/feletimateo/default.aspx

Stats don't mean everything. If you actually watched the games this year you'd realise Mateo made a lot of crucial errors in important parts of matches, a lot of the time inside our own 20 on the first or second tackle, and several times handed over the ball after we'd just scored to get some momentum back only to hand it right back to the opposition. Offloads aren't really worth all that much if they lose you 10 metres (that's if you actually regain the ball) which his often did.

Eels Dude

Coach

Stats don't mean everything. If you actually watched the games this year you'd realise Mateo made a lot of crucial errors in important parts of matches, a lot of the time inside our own 20 on the first or second tackle, and several times handed over the ball after we'd just scored to get some momentum back only to hand it right back to the opposition. Offloads aren't really worth all that much if they lose you 10 metres (that's if you actually regain the ball) which his often did.

Springs

First Grade
"Was it all his fault?

It was the players fault too Feleti.

Hmm... You think that's maybe what he was saying Jake?

Mateo should just let go - he won't have to worry about it, all it does it cause more disharmony. This offseason should be focused on dealing with these issues and stopping our club appearing in the media.

For someone who loves the club and wanted to stay, it is amazing how bitter he is.

Latest posts