What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warrior Mateo's blast at old tribe

Gronk

Staff member
Keeping Mateo on big dollars would certainly not be good management.

No you're putting your apologist spin on that article. He never complained about the club not matching the Warriors deal in todays paper. He complained about the leaks
Mateo said he was forever stunned by leaks of private player meetings and only felt obliged to speak out because his former Eels teammates were not in a position to do likewise.
"They can't say anything, and I don't blame them, because the club's paying their bills," Mateo said.
and the poor back office.

"There was no connection. You'd think management would do more to make players happy, but it was a case of, 'do your best'. The board sacked Ando, but how can you go from making the grand final to not making the semis and then get sacked?
"Was it all his fault?

"There are a lot of people at the top at Parramatta who nobody points the finger at. Time will tell if Ando was the problem or it runs deeper."

Snoochies

First Grade
No you're putting your apologist spin on that article. He never complained about the club not matching the Warriors deal in todays paper. He complained about the leaks and the poor back office.

Yeah that sux doesn't it.

ParraAds

Juniors
it's an extremely damning and disturbing article..

as a non contracted player, Mateo can say what he wants but I wouldn't expect a glowing report from a bloke who was wanted at the club so if a scribe is looking for a negative angle, it;s not very hard to find..

But the impression that we were all given was that Ando was the one who didn't want him at the club?

Obviously that wasn't true because it appears Ando had no real control over any of the decisions that took place this year.

Stagger eel

Staff member
But the impression that we were all given was that Ando was the one who didn't want him at the club?

Obviously that wasn't true because it appears Ando had no real control over any of the decisions that took place this year.

well there's still alot of conjecture about that I'm still of the belief that DA didn't want him - take it leave it.

Parra Guru

Coach
I am so sick of reading comments (and especially changable ones) from Feleti Mateo.

I'm pretty disappointed in Mateo's attitude, and have been since he signed with the Warriors.

I know I'm repeating myself on this but honestly he took the p!ss the whole season on the field, and hasn't stopped b!tching about leaving ever since.

TBH if I were the Warriors, I'd be telling him to shut his trap and get on with the move.

Good luck at the Warriors Feleti, but please stop talking about Parra.... It's becoming a little embarrassing.

born an eel

Bench
No you're putting your apologist spin on that article. He never complained about the club not matching the Warriors deal in todays paper. He complained about the leaks and the poor back office.
that's exactly the way I read it, I never had the feeling he was complaining about his own situation but standing by his team mates to the end. There is obviously still a sense of standing up for your mates going on and felt he could say what others were feeling but could not.

I get the sense he is happy to be away from the management of the club and is looking forward to the next stage of his career. I also think he may be back some time down the track if we keep the core group of players together around his age.

Special K

Coach
I'm sure a lot of people here know about it but after mateos last game and the bloke who came up to wish him well(and the response that they got from Mateo in a crowded dressing room) I don't think there is any doubt why he left..

Gronk

Staff member
I'm sure a lot of people here know about it but after mateos last game and the bloke who came up to wish him well(and the response that they got from Mateo in a crowded dressing room) I don't think there is any doubt why he left..

Sorry but I hate it when people post riddles. :crazy:

doogiehowser_md

Juniors
Still can't believe we let Mateo go. I keep hearing the line that he supposedly plays one good game a year but if you look at the stats he was one of the best Eels players in terms of metres gained and offloads all year. In fact his stats are superior to Horo who everyone agrees had a great year. People have such short memories as well. He was one of the Eels most consistent players in 07 and 08 and he was one of the Eels best in the charge to the grand final last year. I'd like to know how the doubters explain the stats he racked up for this year?

http://www.nrl.com/telstrapremiersh...erid/444/season/2010/feletimateo/default.aspx

I think the whole Horo had a great year and was the shining light in a dismal season was blown way out of proportion. Yes he improved a lot and was reasonable find but he wasn't the revelation that PR are making him out to be. If he was then surely he would have walked into a Kiwis jumper. I think his achievement and progression this season is very similar to that of Bodene Thompsons from the Titans.

I think it was all a PR trick conjured up to distract supporters from the fact that they had lost Mateo. Did it work?

Bigfella

Coach
<P>It's an interesting one.</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>First and foremost,&nbsp;I believe FM has been criticised way too harshly for his on field performance this year. I believe he was one of our best; one of our only players who is genuinely world class and can cause problems for any opposition defence; plus he averaged over 100 m a game.</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>I also have no huge drama with his error rate; someone who can be so dangerous should be encouraged to promote the ball. He wasn't even our worst offender - but was clsoe to or actually the leading offloader in the NRL and did plenty of work in attack. We had players with more errors who offered almost nothing in those roles.</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>I also really believe he hasn't been as fit as he could be, and he should have established himself by now as an elite player, and a NSW rep. That is entirely due to his own lack of drive and determination. I think he could have been used in a bette rrole by the coach, but by the same token he played every game and it wasn;t like he was languishing in reserves and not getting a shot.</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>If he criticises "management" (which the usual suspects climb all over and turn into a complete anti 3P attack) it should be given some consideration.</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>I do find it interesting that he didn't direct the same criticism at the coach.</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>By the same token - it sounds a bit precious blaming management for things that are so squarely within your own control, such as on field performance and fitness.</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>I agree with Stagger that someone leaving should be taken with a grain of salt but at the same time his comments should be addressed. Something Kearney will no doubt take note of.</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>

Ladmate

Bench
Still can't believe we let Mateo go. I keep hearing the line that he supposedly plays one good game a year but if you look at the stats he was one of the best Eels players in terms of metres gained and offloads all year. In fact his stats are superior to Horo who everyone agrees had a great year. People have such short memories as well. He was one of the Eels most consistent players in 07 and 08 and he was one of the Eels best in the charge to the grand final last year. I'd like to know how the doubters explain the stats he racked up for this year?

http://www.nrl.com/telstrapremiersh...erid/444/season/2010/feletimateo/default.aspx

Mateo was injured in Parramatta's charge to the Grand Final...

the_eel

Juniors

Care to elaborate K?

Special K

Coach
I don't like putting things like this on here, I was hoping one of the regulars would elaborate for me. I was told it by someone within the club about a month or so ago.

But it wasn't the coach Mateo blew up at... But someone thats always in the papers being negative that goes hand in hand with the article posted.

ParraAds

Juniors
I don't like putting things like this on here, I was hoping one of the regulars would elaborate for me. I was told it by someone within the club about a month or so ago.

But it wasn't the coach Mateo blew up at... But someone thats always in the papers being negative that goes hand in hand with the article posted.

ohhhhh

parra pete

Referee
Yes he did spray Mateo on the Matty Johns Show IIRC.

AND everyone else in the joint...and has done so since he retired in 1986.
Great player...extremely poor administrator..

"I do not know what I may appear to the world, but to myself I seem to have been only like a boy playing on the sea-shore, and diverting myself in now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me".....Isaac Newton

Latest posts