What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warriors announce trial game in Whangarei

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
And the Ingham twins lived in Bluff, not Invercargill. I wouldnt wish a life in Bluff on anyone. I commuted daily to Bluff for work for 8 years.

However, it is the TRUE home of rugby league in NZ. The first game of league was played in Bluff.

Haha f**king Bluff. My mum went there once in the late 60s when she was touring the country on a scooter with her mates, there was nothing else to do so they got rat-arsed on gin and she hasn’t touched the stuff since... or been back to Bluff.

As SToNZ puts it:

“If Invercargill is the arsehole of the world, then Bluff must be its dingleberry: a shit town dangling from the South Island's anal pubes. Bluff is named after a common verb meaning to overstate one's own qualities, something difficult not to do with a town whose only claim to fame is its uniquely terrible location. Pictured: Bluff's premier landmark, a not-so-subtle hint to leave town immediately.”

¿N. ig-mah¿

Juniors
Haha f**king Bluff. My mum went there once in the late 60s when she was touring the country on a scooter with her mates, there was nothing else to do so they got rat-arsed on gin and she hasn’t touched the stuff since... or been back to Bluff.

As SToNZ puts it:

“If Invercargill is the arsehole of the world, then Bluff must be its dingleberry: a shit town dangling from the South Island's anal pubes. Bluff is named after a common verb meaning to overstate one's own qualities, something difficult not to do with a town whose only claim to fame is its uniquely terrible location. Pictured: Bluff's premier landmark, a not-so-subtle hint to leave town immediately.”
The phrase we use down here is that Bluff is the asshole of the world. Invercargill is just 20kms up it.

Bluff was a boomtown when ur mother came here. It now only has one pub and has a smaller population than some Invercargill suburbs. Its nearly a ghost town made up almost exclusively of wealthy fishermen and port workers.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
The phrase we use down here is that Bluff is the asshole of the world. Invercargill is just 20kms up it.

Bluff was a boomtown when ur mother came here. It now only has one pub and has a smaller population than some Invercargill suburbs. Its nearly a ghost town made up almost exclusively of wealthy fishermen and port workers.

Funnily enough the average income is probably sky-high then- I’m a wharfie and we’re on good coin and I imagine the lads at the port there are pretty happy getting a cheap house across th road from work, can prolly pay off a mortgage in a couple of years. Unlike Sydney where I’m on 6 figures and still won’t ever buy a house here :/

¿N. ig-mah¿

Juniors
Funnily enough the average income is probably sky-high then- I’m a wharfie and we’re on good coin and I imagine the lads at the port there are pretty happy getting a cheap house across th road from work, can prolly pay off a mortgage in a couple of years. Unlike Sydney where I’m on 6 figures and still won’t ever buy a house here :/
I worked on the port for 8 years. Our pay rates were the lowest in the country. Was overheard from management that they didnt need to pay us much cos housing was so cheap. Many on the port will be on or under $50,000 annually.

The funny thing about the housing market in Bluff is that its only extremes. The fishermen have huge, expensive houses. And most of the rest of the market are low price, run down, worn out homes. But the Bluff housing situation is getting bad now, as Invercargill has basically run out of rental homes and people are being forced to move to Bluff for rental accomodation.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Bloody hell. Surprised at the income disparity in the ports there tbh- would’ve thought the unions would have it sewn up tighter than that. Wouldn’t be many at our port who didn’t crack 100k last year and they’d be the lazy ones who’re always taking weekends and nights off.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Seriously though, they cant be taken serious as being qbout getting around the country when they are only venturing a short bus ride from home. They bear the name New Zealand, they should at least pretend to be about the whole country. To take a preseason game to a few of the bigger towns and smaller cities outside the local bus routes would be fair.

Thankfully a while back they dropped the NZ part of their name, because it has always frustrated me how little they have promoted the game around NZ over the years

In Christchurch in the past 15 years, the Tigers, Panthers and Sea Eagles have arguably all done more for the game here than the Warriors have

Best example being when Penrith played a home game here, they had the entire squad here for a week, school visits, coaching clinics etc, the Warriors sent a few injured and reserve grade guys down 2 days before the match

Sorry to interrupt the banter chaps, back to it

¿N. ig-mah¿

Juniors
Thankfully a while back they dropped the NZ part of their name, because it has always frustrated me how little they have promoted the game around NZ over the years

In Christchurch in the past 15 years, the Tigers, Panthers and Sea Eagles have arguably all done more for the game here than the Warriors have

Best example being when Penrith played a home game here, they had the entire squad here for a week, school visits, coaching clinics etc, the Warriors sent a few injured and reserve grade guys down 2 days before the match

Sorry to interrupt the banter chaps, back to it
They have never dropped that part of the name. It is used for the Australian market, so as not to give Vodafone Australia free advertising. In NZ, Vodafone has a contract for their name to be dropped in the team name.

But i completely agree about the limited national promotion. Until recently, all games in NZ outside of Auckland were away games. Still now, most are hosted by the Australian teams. But they do talk a good game about country-wide community support. It seems to me that the attitude that NZ stops at the Bombay Hills is strong in this club. I would like to see a north/south annual rotation for trials, or 1 home game a year taken to Dunedin, Christchurch and Wellington on a rotation system.

Rich102

Staff member
Maybe the NZRL should invest in the Warriors and not leave it to just the ARL?

¿N. ig-mah¿

Juniors
Maybe the NZRL should invest in the Warriors and not leave it to just the ARL?
That would be a great idea, except the NZRL is nearly bankrupt.

Just remember that the ARL has done nothing for the rest of New Zealand, even though they are using our name. All moves have been Auckland based.

I hope the revert to original colours really is just for this anniversary year, and they dont take everything back to the failed Auckland Warriors. The club has achieved all of its successes under the New Zealand name and with national links in colours. That should remain. Not renew a legacy to a bankrupt business.

One Warrior

Bench
You think the other clubs would choose Hamilton, Tauranga or Taupo? If they are agreeing to games in those towns, they would agree to Invercargill, etc.
Warriors have never played in Tauranga, train at Papamoa each February for a few days, but no open sessions or signing sessions, unfortunately.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Warriors have never played in Tauranga, train at Papamoa each February for a few days, but no open sessions or signing sessions, unfortunately.

I’m actually surprised they’ve never had a trial at Baypark, though Rotorua is probably more of a league town.