What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warriors Best Cult Player Appreciation Thread

warrior poet

Juniors
Is Tai Liavaa on the Honor Roll List for Warriors Jersey? Haven't got one and if he is what No is he?

Had a look and he's warrior number 71. He is a good test for my memory, only played 11 games so that's probably why.

One player that hasn't been mentioned, but who was kind of a cult player amongst my mates was sonny fai. I still wonder what would have happened if he was still around, would he have developed into a great or would he have faded away.
Used to love watching him play. He did have a bit of a build up for me as before he debuted, every time someone mentioned warrior juniors he was always the first named and always described as being the best junior we had (followed by cooper vuna and Russell packer) so I was looking forward to finally seeing him play. He was probably the closest the Warriors have come to SBW (and personally I think he was better than SBW at the same age)

Blair

Coach
In a football context, Sonny was especially missed in those years immediately following his death when we didn't have established centres.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Great call on Sonny. One of the most heart-breaking things I've ever experienced was Steve Price's media interview just after the awful Bethells day. He was genuinely devastated to lose a kid that he loved - none of what came out after Sonny's passing was overblown. It was all tributes to a great kid that was a damn good footballer and person.

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
f**k me the Guttenbiel hit on Catic was something else. Apart from THAT kick return from Wiki against the Chooks in the finals I've never physically felt an on-field hit.

African Monkey

First Grade
Rose tinted glasses mate, Warriors fans have always criticised the team for inconsistency and a perceived lack of heart. The only real exception was the 2007-2011 period under Ivan where we generally had limited talent and competed on discipline and almost boring footy until SJ came along in the final season.

As for cult faves at the Warriors, I'll chuck another one up there, Tai Liavaa- fringe prop around 99-00, who I'll always remember for one of the best hits I've ever seen when he absolutely buried Cowboys forward Shaun Valentine at Dairy Farmers in 2000.

I think Ali Lauititi got sent from the field in the first few minutes in that game in 2000, along with an all in brawl where they all smacked into the cheerleaders later on in the match.

That was a truly bizarre game lol that lives long in the memory.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I think Ali Lauititi got sent from the field in the first few minutes in that game in 2000, along with an all in brawl where they all smacked into the cheerleaders later on in the match.

That was a truly bizarre game lol that lives long in the memory.

Yup, the same game, craziest match ever. Moggy Jadtwat was overheard laughing with the other refs about the send-off as they walked up the tunnel at half-time too (Ali was completely innocent). And we won!

Would love to find the highlights reel from it.

Latest posts