What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warriors release PJ

salivor

First Grade
NZ Warrior said:
It sounds more like PJ Marsh has asked for the release. That being the case, then I think this situation sux.

If the Warriors were to release him, don't you think they would have done it at the start of the season when they knew he wasn't gonna play.

I think we should wait till we get a better idea of the situation before we go into an "all out" argument on the morality of the case in question.

Why would they sack him at the start of the season when there was still a chance that he could play before the further complications with the neck injury?

The rumour has been around that PJ would not be at the Warriors in 2005 since they signed Wiki and Price and even before that with his future in the game in serious doubt. If they really wanted to keep him they wouldn't have released him but I can guarantee that when he walked in asking for one they breathed a huge sigh of relief as it saved them having to sack him eventually anyway.

NZ Warrior

First Grade
Here's an article that validifies my claims that Marsh was seeking a release.

Rugby league: PJ Marsh given early release from Warriors

11.00am
Injured New Zealand Warriors hooker PJ Marsh was today granted a release from the National Rugby League club with a year remaining on his contract.

A club spokesperson said the former Queensland State of Origin representative approached Warriors management about getting an early release.

Marsh, who joined the Warriors in 2002 from the Parramatta Eels, has been sidelined since dislocating the verterbrae in his neck in a round 14 game against the Eels in 2003.

Subsequent fusion surgery shortly afterwards proved unsuccessful. Marsh underwent a second fusion procedure earlier this year but the results will not be known until later this year.

Marsh and his wife, Kelly, are returning to Sydney for the birth of their first child.

"I have enjoyed my time in Auckland as I have played my best football here. I went on to play in a Grand Final and played State of Origin for Queensland from the Warriors," Marsh said in a statement.

"The support and friendship of the fans and players will be very much missed by Kelly and myself. Kelly and I are looking forward to the birth of our baby in September and hopefully the doctors have good news for my neck injury later in the year as well."

Marsh and his manager, Jim Bannighan, had been discussing an early release with the Warriors for some weeks.

He and his wife fly out for Sydney today.

- NZPA

NZ Warrior

First Grade
Why pour all that money into a good player and getting nothing out of him in the end. They would have been banking on him coming back next season.

I doubt they would have sacked him. Not after all this time.

salivor

First Grade
Why because he's sitting on his arse with the possibility of never playing footy again and wasting a big chunk of the Warriors salary cap. He's a big liability and even as stupid as the Warriors management have been this year, they know this.

fish eel

Immortal
Why pour all that money into a good player and getting nothing out of him in the end. They would have been banking on him coming back next season.

well then if they wanted that, they should have kept him and not released him!

If he gets fit and back on the park next year in another teams colours the warriors have no reason to cry, its their own fault for letting him go!

Kiwi

First Grade
and leave no money to upgrade Hindmarsh's contract = Hindmarsh gorrrrrrrrn and eels totally GOORRRRRRRRRNNNNNNNNNNNNN

The Colonel

Immortal
Kiwi said:
and leave no money to upgrade Hindmarsh's contract = Hindmarsh gorrrrrrrrn and eels totally GOORRRRRRRRRNNNNNNNNNNNNN

How's everything at the NRL Ian, the job treating you well? :roll:

Freak

Juniors
Kiwi said:

Hindmarsh has been promised the roulette machine in PLC club for life.

He will still be in the blue and gold till he turns 40 and still making 50 tackles 20 hitups a game! :D

All you Kiwi's and Raiders supporters can keep dreaming!!

Kiwi

First Grade
Colonel Eel said:
Kiwi said:

with what the eels have paid the likes of Tahu and co, pay Cayless and Vella ( thier contracts were reported as rather large when they signed them ) and if they sign a few more players, how are they gonna upgrade Hindmarsh's contract? how they gonna free up anywhere up to 200,000 a season for hindy? Hindmarsh has come out publically saying how unhappy he is getting a raw deal pay wise as compared to the ring-ins.

And it's not as if a few clubs aren't gonna show interest in Marsh, he will come cheaper than his value, but not bargain basement cheap.

It's all common sense really, sure they have lost a few players, the odd one or two on a big contract, but they got into bidding wars to sign most of the ones they did sign.

Manly should wait, because the Eels are gonna seriously need Lyons money being used under the cap to keep hindmarsh, forcing a release.

Kiwi

First Grade
Freak said:
Kiwi said:

Hindmarsh has been promised the roulette machine in PLC club for life.

He will still be in the blue and gold till he turns 40 and still making 50 tackles 20 hitups a game! :D

All you Kiwi's and Raiders supporters can keep dreaming!!

I don't care if he stays or goes, and I don't support a team that needs him.

The Colonel

Immortal
Kiwi said:
Colonel Eel said:
Kiwi said:

with what the eels have paid the likes of Tahu and co, pay Cayless and Vella ( thier contracts were reported as rather large when they signed them ) and if they sign a few more players, how are they gonna upgrade Hindmarsh's contract? how they gonna free up anywhere up to 200,000 a season for hindy? Hindmarsh has come out publically saying how unhappy he is getting a raw deal pay wise as compared to the ring-ins.

And it's not as if a few clubs aren't gonna show interest in Marsh, he will come cheaper than his value, but not bargain basement cheap.

It's all common sense really, sure they have lost a few players, the odd one or two on a big contract, but they got into bidding wars to sign most of the ones they did sign.

Manly should wait, because the Eels are gonna seriously need Lyons money being used under the cap to keep hindmarsh, forcing a release.

Again Ian hows the job?

Lyon doesn't get paid squat. The Eels used that money to pay for Tahu.
Jamie Lyon has told Parramatta he will not return to the NRL next season. Lyon, who is under contract to the Eels until 2007, must tell the club by June 30 each year of his intentions for the next season and his agent Allan Gainey said Eels officials had been advised last week that the 22-year-old wanted to play only for Wee Waa. The Eels then upped their offer to Newcastle's Timana Tahu, who is expected to sign today, but they haven't given up completely on Lyon returning in 2006.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/07/08/1089000296473.html

Dykes and Vaealiki were on good dollars as well we are losing quite a few players who were on one year deals this year. Cayless and Vella are off contract as well next year and could consider themselves lucky if they get anywhere near what they did four years ago. Wagon will be looking to remain next year as well and its unlikely he will command the same sort of dollars either. I don't assume to know the maths but its looking ok to me even with the new signings. But I don't assume to know what the new signings have received either. Management handle that side.

Chook

First Grade
Any club that takes PJ and himself for that matter would want massive medical assurances that he's 1000% fit to play. Footy is not worth the risk of never walking again. And it wouldn't surprise me to see him at the dogs, they buy every other player from NZ.

Chook.

Kiwi

First Grade
Lyon doesn't get paid squat. The Eels used that money to pay for Tahu.

So if thats the case what happens if Lyon decides to come back? That'll put the Eels over the cap big time costing them in fines and points. It's not like they can deny him a return without a release now is it?

Cayless and Vella are off contract as well next year

It's been that long, I think Vella should get the boot personally, been over rated foir a while.

The Colonel

Immortal
Kiwi said:
So if thats the case what happens if Lyon decides to come back? That'll put the Eels over the cap big time costing them in fines and points. It's not like they can deny him a return without a release now is it?

We can only wait and see. I would assume the Eels have some room with the unexpected release of Vaealiki but again its all speculation as to what will happen with him. He may be released to another club and he may have to wait another twelve months in Wee Waa.

yakstorm

First Grade
Its highly unlikely Marsh will play NRL in 2005, he may get on the field at either NSWRL or QRL level, but if he was playing at a standard of NRL level again, he would give the Warriors first chance to sign him up again.

He asked for release so he can be with his family for the birth of his first child, added to that so he can continue rehab to hopefully one day play again.

NZ Warrior

First Grade
mickdo said:
validifies???

I found that this word currently doesn't exist. How obtuse!!! Therefore I am claiming it as my own.

btw, I claim it to mean "adds validity" "provides solid evidence".

NZ Warrior

First Grade
yakstorm said:
Its highly unlikely Marsh will play NRL in 2005, he may get on the field at either NSWRL or QRL level, but if he was playing at a standard of NRL level again, he would give the Warriors first chance to sign him up again.

He asked for release so he can be with his family for the birth of his first child, added to that so he can continue rehab to hopefully one day play again.

He could have still done that AND been on the club's payroll.

Like I said in another post, it would have been extremely honourable of him to get a release from his contract if he knew he was not going to make it on to the footy field again. BUT the rumours have been circulating for quite a while now that Parra was looking to offload some players to get Marsh back.

With his second operation being more successful, there is a better chance that Marsh may once again take the field. And if it is not for the Warriors, then the morals and principals of this scenario are near gutter level.