What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warriors sale confirmed.

Rich102

Staff member
The buck stops with coach Steve Kearney and football manager Brian Smith.

That's the declaration from new Warriors owner Mark Robinson, who also slammed the lack of investment by previous owner Eric Watson.

While CEO Cameron George cleared Kearney of any blame for a rotten 2019, preferring to blast the attitude of some players, Autex Industries CEO Robinson was less forgiving.

While Kearney is assured of remaining as coach going into the 2020 season, time may be running out if he can't turn results and performances around.

Robinson told the Radio Sport Breakfast that Kearney was close to operating with the team he wanted, but admitted Australia-based players were reluctant about signing for the underperforming Auckland NRL outfit.

"Brian Smith and Stephen Kearney - that's where the buck stops," said Robinson.

"They know this year isn't acceptable and next year has got to be better.

"We're not going to make (football department) changes at this point until we sit down and talk about it. We need to make some changes to be a better team next year.

"Just like a business, if you are not getting the performance out of people who work for you they, of course are on a short rope.

"To be fair to Stephen he's had a team which hasn't been his team over last couple of years.

"He's slowly getting the players he want, he's got most of the ones…there's a couple more he'd like for next season, then it's up to him because it is his team. At the moment it's a team he was given."

Autex has become the sole owner, after buying out the Carlaw Heritage Trust's two-thirds share. Robinson is the Warriors' senior director, while Autex managing director Rob Croot is the club chairman.

Robinson said they were still chasing a few players.

"We've got a few we are after, we missed out on a few this year," he said.

"We've got to get our club into order and make people want to come to our club. We could make it the best footy club in the NRL, and turn it into a juggernaut.

"It's very difficult to get them to come but if you make it really attractive and there's a good environment, and the place is smart, they'll want to come. But at the moment we need to tidy a few things up."

Robinson described his relationship with CEO Cameron George as "really close", something which has been built over the past year.

He said Autex was a strong company which would bring proper investment into the club for the first time in 15 to 20 years.

"Watson sucked everything out of it," said Robinson, whose father started sponsoring league 40 years ago.

"Last year, the trust didn't have the cash they probably needed so we sort of just sat there. Trusts run completely different…we're a business and the Warriors need to be a business as well as a footy club.

"It's at a critical point now where we need to get the fans' confidence back. We're going to take a deep breath, do a few reviews, and then in November we'll make a few changes, a few decisions.

"You don't buy a business unless you know you can improve it."

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/league/news/article.cfm?c_id=79&objectid=12271078

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
"We've got to get our club into order and make people want to come to our club. We could make it the best footy club in the NRL, and turn it into a juggernaut."

Comments like this need to stop ASAP, ever since that idiot said it after the 2011 grand final we've been buggered. No one else talks like that, they achieve it and let other people say it.

Blair

Coach
"We've got to get our club into order and make people want to come to our club. We could make it the best footy club in the NRL, and turn it into a juggernaut."

Comments like this need to stop ASAP, ever since that idiot said it after the 2011 grand final we've been buggered. No one else talks like that, they achieve it and let other people say it.

Also he's setting the scene for an axing of Kearney during next season, that's what we don't want either.

You get the new coach in now.

Last edited:

One Warrior

Bench
Also he'setting the scene for an axing of Kearney during next season, that's what we don't want either.

You get the new coach in now.
He also says “It’s at a critical point now where we need to get the fans’ confidence back. We’re going to take a deep breath, do a few reviews and then in November we’ll make a few changes, a few decisions.”

spear tackle

Juniors
Well it looks like the end of year review will not be conducted by the old boys club if the new owner wants results.

Blair

Coach
It goes against my nature to try and get people sacked from their jobs. People need their jobs. However, at best, I'd come back only lukewarm next season under Kearney.

But I won't directly contact the club to tell them this.

As it was, this year, there were tangible effects to us being boring rubbish. That being I only attended one first grade game (and that was mainly because it was at the SCG). Next year that would likely be zero unless we get a proven coach.

BLN2

Juniors
I don't think buying a business and sacking the coach right away is a good look for the club, the owners, the players etc. Especially with 3 years on his contract :( UNLESS - Someone is available who is too good to turn down. I can't think of anyone close to that status looking for a gig. Flanagan would be an epic assistant signing, but will not be short of offers in Sydney so no chance.

The CEO said something interesting during the week, that SK inherited this team. That as we all know is false, I think only Lisone was at the club before SK from memory? After losing SJ before this season, it was unrealistic to think we would improve this season. However, we've signed a replacement now, and will have a full pre season to prep.

I think business/solidity wise we have to keep Kearney. If we start 2 wins 8 losses next year though, they'll have to sack him.

LeagueNut

First Grade
The CEO said something interesting during the week, that SK inherited this team. That as we all know is false, I think only Lisone was at the club before SK from memory?
SKs first year was 2017. There are 10 players from the 2016 FG squad who were still with us in 2019 and 3 of those have just played their last season with us.
Lisone
Fusitua
Tevaga
Roache
Maumalo
Tuivasa-Sheck
Afoa
Ayshford (gone)
Luke (gone)
Sao (gone)

Saying he's inherited his team after three years in the job is bollocks. That's more than enough time to get rid of the ones you don't want.

Rich102

Staff member
Warriors chairman Rob Croot insists the expectations for the club next year is to make the finals.

But before the club's long suffering fans throw up their arms and say 'here we go again', they should take optimism about the board pulling in the same direction and the Warriors having ownership to financially back the NRL team.

Eric Watson's interest wavered during his years of owning the Warriors, while being based in London meant he was never going to be hands on.

The joint venture between the Carlaw Heritage Trust and Autex was a car crash right from the beginning, but at last there's stability and a clear vision coming from Croot and club owner, Mark Robinson.

Croot and Robinson, both long time Warriors supporters, understand the pain their fans have gone through but are committed to there being brighter times ahead.

"The Warriors fans are the most passionate in New Zealand and it's been difficult over the last 16 months to have to sit back and not so much be the fans that we are," Croot said.

"We're as disappointed as the fans and the members, we read their comments and we're right there with them.

"We're passionate people and we wouldn't be doing this if we didn't believe we could make a difference in the club and build a sustainable, high performance future.

"Let's be clear on expectations, we're playing finals football next season."

Autex didn't buy the Warriors outright as a money making venture. No one buys an NRL club for that reason, they're doing it because they want to make the club successful, can see the untapped potential and they're prepared to invest.

"Unless you're like the Broncos and getting over 20,000 to every game, you're never going to make any money," Robinson said.

"But if you've got an international business like we have and this is under that umbrella, we can write that off against our profits.

"Carlaw Heritage Trust can't write it off because they're a non profit organisation."

Robinson doesn't intend to be standing in the background as key decisions are made and already has plans to revamp some of Mt Smart Stadium.

"I'm going to be a bit more hands on than most at the beginning, because I know what I want and I'm going to talk to people about that," he said.

"I employ Cameron George as the CEO and his focus will be on running the club.

"But I want to get involved in some of the decisions and I want to do the offices up, do the changing rooms up, get them all looking good so we've got a nice environment, not one that's been there for 10 years.

"We need to get rid of the old and bring in the new. Some new gym equipment, better recovery equipment which they haven't been able to afford and we'll start there."

Robinson says he'd also like to have an input in football decisions.

"I'd like to see who they're going to sign before they do, which I think is fair," he said.

"They'll need to tell me why it's a good idea and if that's what they all believe in, then that's what we do.

"But I'd like to know if they're going to sign a $600,000 player and what the conditions and terms are, because at the end of the day it's my money."

Robinson is also looking to end the continual problem the club have of not being able to attract top Australian players.

It's been a continual issue that players in their prime, unless they're Kiwis, don't want to leave Australia and relocate to Auckland.

"We've got to get this club attractive to get some people to want to play for us," Robinson said.

"It's not that attractive at the moment, so we've got to settle it down, get the place cleaned up, so when you have players looking around our facilities, you're looking professional and you want everything upbeat.

"Once you start doing that, you will find that when you do approach someone, you've got a chance of them coming to you.

"At the moment, we're getting either inexperienced good talent, or end of the road experience, like Adam Blair and Blake Green who are in their 30s.

"We are missing out on the 24 to 28 year olds, when they're starting to peak.

"We haven't been able to attract them because the way the club is, the condition its in and the environment that's been there, with Eric Watson and our thing (with Carlaw Heritage Trust).

"We didn't help, but it just didn't work out, we were so different.

"But if we don't change our environment, we're not going to attract any players."

The Warriors might not be a successful club overnight and winning the 2020 Premiership will be beyond their reach, but a top eight finish should be a realistic goal.

From there, it's to infinity and beyond. Well, that's the plan anyway.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/leagu...rs-expect-team-to-finish-in-top-eight-in-2020

Big Marn

Juniors
going to need more than a paint job to entice players here. Hope he wasnt being serious.
those are incidental things. He needs to deal with root causes, like bad coach hires.

Latest posts