What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warriors sign Dane Nielsen

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Why can't we have Nielsen to cover for Ropati? The Storm are flagrant with their money, they'd have no trouble continuing to pay for him and stay under the cap.

royce10

Juniors
Nielson is overrated. Just like most Storm players that leave Melbourne, he will become a non-factor. The good games he has will be exaggerated by both sides of the Tasman, much like the bad games Inu had.

beefstew

Juniors
Nielson is overrated. Just like most Storm players that leave Melbourne, he will become a non-factor. The good games he has will be exaggerated by both sides of the Tasman, much like the bad games Inu had.

Yup...he'll be injury cover compared to Hurrell and Henry...a great depth player, but one i'm betting we overpaid to get.

Marty

Juniors
Forget about it...have you guys watched him play?...he has more speed than henry and his D is excellent...probably one of the best in the NRL.

But I guess you are right...Bell probably doesn't have the depth of understanding of NRL players like we armchair selectors do...he probably has not considered the Melbourne factor and taken that into account when considering weather or not his skills will compliment the warriors style in attack and D...

royce10

Juniors
Forget about it...have you guys watched him play?...he has more speed than henry and his D is excellent...probably one of the best in the NRL.

But I guess you are right...Bell probably doesn't have the depth of understanding of NRL players like we armchair selectors do...he probably has not considered the Melbourne factor and taken that into account when considering weather or not his skills will compliment the warriors style in attack and D...

Warriors have the worst selectors on the f**king planet!

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Groan, more of the Nielsen is only a decent player because he plays for the Storm stuff. Watch a few games and form an opinion, watch his one on one D, watch his strong dummy half running out of his own half, etc.

Everyone's quick to laud Hurrell and the work he does on attack but he's costing us points on defence too. And seemingly because Nielsen isn't GI's twin brother, he's a poor signing.

ozbash

Referee
PW would it be fair to say he'd have to be a half decent player to make the Storm starting lineup ?

hitman82

Bench
PW would it be fair to say he'd have to be a half decent player to make the Storm starting lineup ?

He'd have to be disciplined, able to follow instructions, and have a low error rate... sounds like what we need.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade

Sounds reasonable to me, sir.

Warriors have been horrible defensively this year, especially on the edges. That is bad. Nielsen is a defensively rock-solid centre, and we signed him. That is good.

beefstew

Juniors
So.......we end up on the right side of the ledger there or what ???

Thats the question....the Warriors always seem to buy aussies that are gun defenders, but are crap on attack, or, great on attack but
terrible defenders, and more than a few that were garbage at both. I would love it if when the club chooses to spend big money on imports,
they buy someone who excels in all areas of the game, instead of wasting money on one trick ponies.

maddest_kiwi

Juniors
Thats the question....the Warriors always seem to buy aussies that are gun defenders, but are crap on attack, or, great on attack but
terrible defenders, and more than a few that were garbage at both. I would love it if when the club chooses to spend big money on imports,
they buy someone who excels in all areas of the game, instead of wasting money on one trick ponies.

Problem is every other club in Australia wants 'someone who excels in all areas of the game' and are willing to pay big coin as well. Aussie's that command good $$$ will stay in Aussie cos they got their lifestyle, family, weather, beaches blah blah blah. Hence we don't have them queuing up to come play for the the warriors.

NZW must have throw some serious offers at decent Auusie guys to lure them over here.
Maybe we have a better chance at landing a hotshot pom??? Think that's been mentioned in here before...

Warrior@Heart

Juniors
He played origin. Ben Henry is a second rower, JRo is over, Inu is gone and Hurell can't play two positions. I don't see how anyone can possibly think it's a poor signing.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade

Or we could look at it like we produce brilliant attacking talent in our country, and we compliment it with hard-working, hard-nosed, hard-defending Aussies. Works for me.

beefstew

Juniors
Problem is every other club in Australia wants 'someone who excels in all areas of the game' and are willing to pay big coin as well. Aussie's that command good $$$ will stay in Aussie cos they got their lifestyle, family, weather, beaches blah blah blah. Hence we don't have them queuing up to come play for the the warriors.

NZW must have throw some serious offers at decent Auusie guys to lure them over here.
Maybe we have a better chance at landing a hotshot pom??? Think that's been mentioned in here before...

It's always been the problem....Aussie's only seem to come here, because we're offering way more than any other club is willing to pay for
them, or we're the last chance saloon, and they have no other offers. Poms dont like coming to the NRL, because they're basically putting
their reputations on the line.

I have no problem with the signing itself, i have a problem paying overs for another over rated player.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
It's always been the problem....Aussie's only seem to come here, because we're offering way more than any other club is willing to pay for
them, or we're the last chance saloon, and they have no other offers. Poms dont like coming to the NRL, because they're basically putting
their reputations on the line.

I have no problem with the signing itself, i have a problem paying overs for another over rated player.

Poms don't like the NRL because they get paid less as well.

I read somewhere that we regularly operate below the salary cap. So why do we care whether Nielsen is getting paid overs, as long as he's the player we desire and he wants to come here?

Latest posts