What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warriors to hit the road

Rich102

Staff member
The Warriors are set to take their National Rugby League show on the road, with co-owners Eric Watson and Owen Glenn revealing plans to play first-grade games in Hamilton, Wellington and Dunedin.
At a press conference in Auckland yesterday, the two owners unveiled a variety of investments for the club, including the creation of a high-performance academy and the redevelopment of Mt Smart Stadium to accommodate up to 60,000 spectators.
While the owners reiterated their hope to keep the club based at Mt Smart Stadium, games will regularly be spread around the country, further growing the club's national brand.
"We think it's a fantastic time after 17 years that we think about taking the game throughout New Zealand," Watson said.
"Let's take the New Zealand Warriors to New Zealand.
"Let's look at playing a few games outside of Auckland, perhaps in Wellington, perhaps in Dunedin, perhaps in Waikato and maybe Rotorua or Tauranga."
While the Warriors have played pre-season games outside Auckland in recent years, NRL fixtures in the country's other main centres have been hosted by Australian clubs who saw an opportunity to make more money in New Zealand.
In the past, the Bulldogs have hosted the Warriors in Wellington, the Roosters in Christchurch, while the Warriors played guest to the Sharks at Owen Delaney Park in Taupo last year.
The Warriors' long-term base seems destined for Mt Smart Stadium though, with both Glenn and Watson agreeing the stadium needs significant investment, by them and in partnership with Auckland Council.
The pair met Auckland Mayor Len Brown this week over the subject.
"Mt Smart is a fabulous location," Watson said. "It should, in my opinion, become the home of rugby league. It should be upgraded.
"It should have a stadium right next door, perhaps a smaller stadium that can house the competition that New Zealand Rugby League and Auckland Rugby League run.
"I honestly believe it can be self-funding," Watson said.
"Let's be honest, Mt Smart has had no investment for a long time.
"It's an embarrassment - it needs to be fixed.
"It's an investment in Auckland, and it's an investment for us as well."
Along with Warriors chairman Bill Wavish, Glenn and Watson also announced their intention to set up next year a top-level rugby league secondary schools competition.
The competition could make further inroads into rugby union's strongholds in Auckland.
Watson said the club's emphasis would become more centred on youth and bringing talented young players through into the first-grade ranks, rather than making superstar signings.
- © Fairfax NZ News

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/7312779/Money-men-boost-forward-thinking-Warriors

LeagueNut

First Grade
Looking at the bigger picture i think this is a good thing, it's still a shame that we won't get our normal quota of Mt Smart games - but that's a completely selfish view.

I wonder if they'll come up with some "premium" membership package that would include cheap flights to NZ "home" games outside Auckland?

JoeD

First Grade
I wonder if they will make season tickets cheaper now? I'm not too fussed because even though I'm a member I never get to every home game anyway. Might as well share it around.

Juju

Juniors
Alittle bit gutted for purely selfish reasons.
Will try and make it to a Hamilton, possibly Wellington to.

Fast Eddie

First Grade
They should start selling tickets to team video sessions held by Bluey, that would be entertaining.

I've got this overwhelming feeling to say the Warriors should stay in Auckland cos the rest of the country don't really support em....but I wont.

Hopefully they play the Raiders in Wellington again like 03!!!...Weyman's debut where he set up the winning try for the real Ruben Wiki....before he went to the Warriors to collect a paycheck.

Micistm

Bench
It's about f**king time!

Damn straight. terrific news. Sorry you guys will miss a couple of games a year, but other clubs take their home games away, the Warriors doing it for their fans is long overdue. And they should get great crowds for occasional games around the country. Dunedin would be fine by me, I'd make the trip down there. Love Dunners:) But if they bring it to Chch as well, it's always well supported here too. But anywhere in the south, you'll get fans travelling from all over the island for it. You may as well shut the Coast for the weekend:lol:

ozbash

Referee
I just hope air fares and accomadation is included in next years membership for the true fans...

Skram

Juniors
Damn straight. terrific news. Sorry you guys will miss a couple of games a year, but other clubs take their home games away, the Warriors doing it for their fans is long overdue. And they should get great crowds for occasional games around the country. Dunedin would be fine by me, I'd make the trip down there. Love Dunners:) But if they bring it to Chch as well, it's always well supported here too. But anywhere in the south, you'll get fans travelling from all over the island for it. You may as well shut the Coast for the weekend:lol:

Agreed, I'd drive to Invercargill if for some unknown reason they took a game there. I'm pretty sure they'll make it Dunedin if there's gonna be a game down here. I just hope they learn from other sports folly and schedule the game for a time that's not smack bang in the middle of University holidays when Dunners is a ghost town retirement village.

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
you all realise that they are just trying to pressure council for upgrading mt smart.
And there has been a long term plan to bring back a carlaw park like ground for local rugby league.

That could play Fox finals, NZ National Comp games and other local rep games etc.

Micistm

Bench
Just a thought...didn't Scurrah say they COULDN'T take home games away around the country due to 'contractual' reasons...? Suddenly they can? Not that I would be upset about it...but what gives?

Skram

Juniors
Good point, I'm pretty sure they said the lease they have with Mt Smart and the Auckland Council stated they couldn't play home games outside of Auckland. I assume they're either paying the council some form of reparations, they're breaking contract, or they were lying.

Rich102

Staff member
Good point, I'm pretty sure they said the lease they have with Mt Smart and the Auckland Council stated they couldn't play home games outside of Auckland. I assume they're either paying the council some form of reparations, they're breaking contract, or they were lying.
:shock:

hitman82

Bench
Perhaps that condition has expired, or they have bought their way out of it?

I'd love to see at least one game per season played here in the capital, despite the cake tin being a steaming pile of shit.

vvvrulz

Coach
Perhaps that condition has expired, or they have bought their way out of it?

I'd love to see at least one game per season played here in the capital, despite the cake tin being a steaming pile of shit.

Didn't we used to play the doggies there and always lose? Other than that one miracle draw.