What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warriors v Tigers (spoilers)

Nook

Bench
The Dogs and Brisbane games, at least the forwards had a bit of a go, even if they were outmuscled in the end.

Last night was a disgrace. The Warriors at best are an ordinary side and we made them look like world beaters

I disagree. In the games I mention we were extremely soft up the middle, falling off tackles and had massive cases of the dropsies in attack.

Last night we were beaten by a team that was on fire - 16 offloads in one half, half of which led directly to line breaks, with one mistake. We played as well as they let us - at times we looked ok in attack, but just couldn't match them up the middle. Not even near the worst performance we've put in this year, let alone in the past two or three.

NZ Warrior

First Grade
hybrid_tiger said:
Only the Warriors game in the rain was worse than this one out of the ones you mentioned.

The Dogs and Brisbane games, at least the forwards had a bit of a go, even if they were outmuscled in the end.

Last night was a disgrace. The Warriors at best are an ordinary side and we made them look like world beaters.

There was nothing ordinary about the Warriors last night. Face it, the Warriors out-played and out-muscled your team last night.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
NZ Warrior said:
There was nothing ordinary about the Warriors last night. Face it, the Warriors out-played and out-muscled your team last night.

That is true.

But I've watched plenty of Warriors games this year and they are an average side at best.

They played well, but we were shocking.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Nook said:
How are people going, bagging Prince?

He's an easy target because he's leaving the club. Ofcourse, he's not trying.:roll:

He won us a competition last year and he's the focal point of our attack on every play - he's the bloke who not only provides the direction but provides the space for Benji and Whatuira.

You wanna whinge about someone, focus on a player who actually deserves it. For starters, the forwards have been extremely ordinary - John Skandalis for one is way down on form. And the biggest failure of the year and the worst signing in living memory - Jamaal Lolesi, who has had zero impact this year other than giving away penalties and tries.

John Skandalis is the only forward who I can see is busting his guts. He is the only one who is putting in a bit of effort.

Gibbs (who has about as much impact as a crash test dummy) and Heignington (who has been invisible all year) are two of the worst at the moment. They need some time in reggies.

As for Prince he is ordinary. Very ordinary. His kicking game has to be one of the worst in the NRL for a starting halfback. Even Farah has a better kicking game and he's a hooker.

Balmain_Boy

TV Ted Ellery said:
He lacks one vital trait: poise. He regularly panics and throws a fair share of hospital passes. I don't understand why people take such umbrage against Prince while Marshall is exonerated for his blunders.

Perhaps I'm being harsh. I just find it irritating that the media can hype him up to such an extent when he isn't YET in the same league as Fittler or Jason Smith, just to name a few. This is not a criticism of his lack of organisational skill because while Captain Charger is with the club obviously he will take care of that aspect and Benji is alleviated of such responsibility. Benji is well suited to the X-factor, impact role although he has to learn to be more discerning about when to try something and when to take the conservative approach. When Benjis play go awry he can look as daft as Jefferies, Withers and the rest of them.

Benji is 21 and in his second season of NRL. Of course he doesn't rank up with Fittler and Smith. To call him a rich man's Campbell is laughable. No other word for it.

Iafeta

Referee
TV Ted Ellery said:
He lacks one vital trait: poise. He regularly panics and throws a fair share of hospital passes. I don't understand why people take such umbrage against Prince while Marshall is exonerated for his blunders.

Perhaps I'm being harsh. I just find it irritating that the media can hype him up to such an extent when he isn't YET in the same league as Fittler or Jason Smith, just to name a few. This is not a criticism of his lack of organisational skill because while Captain Charger is with the club obviously he will take care of that aspect and Benji is alleviated of such responsibility. Benji is well suited to the X-factor, impact role although he has to learn to be more discerning about when to try something and when to take the conservative approach. When Benjis play go awry he can look as daft as Jefferies, Withers and the rest of them.

I think the one thing he's missing is confidence in his shoulder on defence. When Tony Martin brushes you aside with comparative ease, you know something's amiss.

Nook

Bench
As for Prince he is ordinary. Very ordinary. His kicking game has to be one of the worst in the NRL for a starting halfback. Even Farah has a better kicking game and he's a hooker.

We'd be absolutely f**ked without Prince.

We won a comp last year on the back of his kicking and running game.

He's there and he's trying hard but when the forwards (Skandalis included) aren't going well the halves aren't going to dominate. Prince was much better than Marshall last night. Not at his best but none of them were. People questioning his loyalty or commitment to the team are just making themselves look like dicks as far as I'm concerned.

Iafeta

Referee
I thought the Warriors were outstanding. Best performance I can remember since 2003, really.

I'd like to highlight three players for special mention

Brent Webb: Great positioning on attack, it seemed a game plan to run to the weak shoulder of a defender, and have Webb run off the hip as the Tigers don't seem to compress tight in the centre of the ruck and they were heavily exposed for it - 5 line breaks for Webb I believe.

Evarn Tuimavave: He has to be resigned. He is the most improved player in the NRL in my book. Another thundering game. Evarn was hitting like an Isuzu out there on defence. First ten minutes, the amount of dominant tackles he created from fantastic, powerful, technical hits was astounding. Then you add in his attack, where he caused chaos - brilliant. He's finally developing. He's a definite chance for the Kiwis tour, he's outplayed Wiki this year in my book.

George Gatis: Won't get many mentions, but this guy does the little things right, week in, week out. Knows when to run, knows when to kick. Basically created two tries last night, a decisive run out of dummy half and a good pass onto Webb, and a great kick into the corner where the Warriors drove in and pushed Fitzhenry in goal - next set, try. Unsung hero this guy. Reminds me a lot of John Carlaw, does the no frills stuff, no fuss, but gets little recognition.

The Warriors are also developing some great young talent, probably not overly recognised over this side of the ditch yet, but the one's they are introducing look the goods. Rapira went well on debut I thought, nothing special, but his defence front on and in cover was good. He was last year's JK's captain and a guy Terry Hermannson has massive wraps on. Misi Taulapapa has a lot of energy and speed. He's a good competitor. Needs a little work on his hands in the contact, but generally a fantastic improvement in enthusiasm in comparison to say Toopi and Meli of previous years. Manu Vatuvei, shocker last week, caught everything they threw at him tonight - and they tried him on too. Simon Mannering, made several terrific decisions in defence last night inside the Warriors half of when to come up and in and scramble, or stay out. Starting to bend the line with ball in hand now too. Grant Rovelli, got a great step, good passing game, developing a kicking game, looks a goodish prospect. And Patrick Ah Van, he got injured, but the little he had to do, he did it very well. Took an awesome high ball against Manly under real pressure on debut, and took some big hits without too much fuss. Those guys are an inspiration to the more experienced lads, and there's more to come. Credit to coach Cleary for having the cahunas to give them all a run so far this year, unlike Tony Kemp, who was consumed with the W/L record and showed little to no faith in youngsters only giving one debut last year, that went to Simon Mannering.

I liked the unity last night from the Warriors, I believe they met up at a hotel at midday for lunch, and stayed together for the rest of the day. Looking at how much back slapping was going on, how much support play, how much communication, how hard they chased their kick chase and in general how hard they worked for one another - it worked, and they need to keep doing it.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Nook said:
We'd be absolutely f**ked without Prince.

We won a comp last year on the back of his kicking and running game.

He's there and he's trying hard but when the forwards (Skandalis included) aren't going well the halves aren't going to dominate. Prince was much better than Marshall last night. Not at his best but none of them were. People questioning his loyalty or commitment to the team are just making themselves look like dicks as far as I'm concerned.

Yes, we won the comp on the back of Prince's kicking and running game last season. We also won because our forwards were dominant and helped lay a platform for our halves. And we got quick play the balls and scooted out of dummy half for plenty of metres. We slaughtered teams up the middle in attack and then spread it wide and waiting for the magic.

This year, our forwards are soft as butter and Prince's running and kicking game has turned to absolute sh*t. Our side is unsettled, players are out of form and we are struggling as a unit. Our attack isn't as half as crisp as it was last season and our defence is shocking and perhaps the worst I've seen it in a while. Our for and against is proof of this.

Prince is not the only player to blame, but he has to share the responsibility. He is way out of form.

And Skandalis as far as I'm concerned should be the only one exempt from any criticism. He is the ONLY forward in our side who understands the meaning of hitting the line with a bit of pace and gusto. He is trying his guts out and it doesn't help when the rest of the pack are dogging it.

mulvihill

Juniors
We'll see how great prince goes next yr when he is beside the real preston campbell getting pumped by 50 every wk and being fed by Luke O'Dwyer at the home of the Brisbane Bears.

Nook

Bench
Yes, we won the comp on the back of Prince's kicking and running game last season.

Yep - this was more important than any other factor.

This year, our forwards are soft as butter and Prince's running and kicking game has turned to absolute sh*t.

Agreed on our forwards.

As for Prince - you are having yourself on. His kicking has been down and he certainly hasn't hit top form but he's gone well plenty of times. He provided some space and some spark yesterday when he ran the ball, and set up one of our tries. He's been playing OK when the team has been firing.

Our side is unsettled, players are out of form and we are struggling as a unit. Our attack isn't as half as crisp as it was last season and our defence is shocking and perhaps the worst I've seen it in a while. Our for and against is proof of this.

I reckon our defence was worse at this time last year to be honest. Its not great though. We've been disjointed in attack, in my view partially because the forwards are struggling and partially because we've struggled with combinations having had Farah, Marshall and Hodgo out at various stages.

Prince is not the only player to blame, but he has to share the responsibility. He is way out of form.

Share responsibility, fine. What I object to is people trying to pin it all on him and having a go about him changing clubs next year. It's f**king sad to watch as a Tigers fan, I thought most of us were better than that.

And Skandalis as far as I'm concerned should be the only one exempt from any criticism. He is the ONLY forward in our side who understands the meaning of hitting the line with a bit of pace and gusto. He is trying his guts out and it doesn't help when the rest of the pack are dogging it.

Skando is trying hard as always but he is below his best. The forwards have been up and down too, a few good performances by individuals but no consistency. Halatau is great and we are missing Galea and Fulton up the middle. O'Hara has been average, Gibbs needs to go back to reserve grade for a spell. The potential is there though.

People just need to have a bit of faith. Its not like we have a god-given right to slaughter all comers - we were 150/1 shots for the Premiersip at one stage last year, after all.

Nook

Bench
And again, for what it is worth, I think yesterday's result had a whole lot more to do with the Warriors being on fire than the Tigers being terrible. Pretty good game of footy I thought.

I like the look of Rovelli - Ivan obviously does too, 3 years is a big contract for a unproven kid but he's certainly a prospect.

The Warriors can beat anyone when they turn it on like they did yesterday. Nice to see them combining a bit of direction with the offloads and ad lib stuff - at stages during the last few years its been too much of one or the other and absolutely no balance.

They've got the nucleus of a good team there. Webb is a fantastic fullback and has been for years. Mannering will be a good player. Plenty of strong young talent out wide. Ropati is a bit of an enigma, not sure that 5/8 is his go but he's played reasonably well there during the past few weeks.

And God knows what Cleary has been telling Tuimavavei but its working - he was their best and on this sort of form is completely compensating for the loss of Paleeasiina.

They keep playing like this and they'll make the 8. They won't, ofcourse.

The_MaFeeLi_Tiger said:
Haha, Benji won us the comp? Prince, Hodgson and Farah were all as important as Benji last year. If you took anyone of those 4 players out then we would not have won. If you think Benji single-handedly won us the comp then you have no idea ... Not to mention all the other players who played for us.

u forget Halatau and heighnington ?

Prince's kicking game has always been crap i have no idea what games some of u's were watching last year but nothing has changed in hes game at all

i just think last night u cant blame him he was probley told it was gonna be a forwards battle gameplkan which was the reason he never waited too the last too kick the ball ive never seen him kick on the 4th so much

Iafeta

Referee
Nook - you're right on Tuimavave.

Despite where the Warriors are, I'd go as far as to say he's one of the, if not the most improved player in the NRL in 2006.

too any nz fan that thinks the tigers played well how can u say that when benji was offering u guys tries left right and centre

1.Chucking the ball around early yes he was sh*t scared as soon as he got the ball he passed too a warriors players cause there was def no tiger there he did this 3 times in the first

2.the foward pass one of the worst forward passes ive seen for 10 years hthis floated so far forward it went straight too a warrior standing 5 metres back

3.the game plan half the guys didnt knoww hat too do they didnt know wether too run forward or pass

4.Foward battle wtf yeh great choice sheens prince is a crap kicker and u gotta have a decent kicker plus go foward for a forwards battle

5.communication was there any every play was a run around lol everyone seemed so lost :lol:

6.TNT the next big thing he was the only guy who actually cared how good of a debut did he have he was so strong

7.Prince great idea too get rid of the ball as quickly as possible on the 4th tackle he did this at least 10-15 times in the first half when we had no field postion and most hes kicks were straight too webb

JoeD

First Grade
Never seen the boys look so flat and disinterested
this was highlighted by the fact that there was virtually no hustle to any of the scrums in the last quarter of the game despite them being down by plenty.

BTW wtf does 'stacks on the mill' mean anyway?

Bench
The Warriors played an almost perfect half of football in the first 40.
97% completion rate,numerous offloads and dominated possession,hence the 22-6 score line.
What I am unhappy about is we didn't have a dig in the second half when we got the ball,the Warriors were first to score after the break.
Prince played ok,but his kicking was worse than normal,Skando and Galloway were the only other blokes worth mentioning.
Congrats to the Warriors never let us get a sniff.

simon says

First Grade
I reckon saying the Tigers played crap is taking away from a great performance by the Warriors.....they were great.

They made us play crap....theier defense was rock solid,they committed with numbers and got plenty of offloads away.

How good did "Chew me arm off" go......nigh on unstoppable.

Congrats to the Warriors on a near flawless game.

Gus22

Juniors
Warriors were unstopable. Just about zero errors in the 1st half with every risky off-load hitting flying support runners in the bread basket. Wests weren't great, but they weren't terrible either. NO TEAM in the NRL would have beaten the Warriors on Saturday. They're now odds-on to have a shocker next week, I reckon.